Author Topic: WTB - Something  (Read 1793 times)

Offline metrologistTopic starter

• Super Contributor
WTB - Something
« on: May 13, 2022, 02:17:38 pm »
I feel like I want to buy something. I haven't burned any money in a while and inflation is making me nervous that my buying power is rapidly diminishing.

I was reading a post here about how to measure water level in a tank and one idea revealed a time-of-flight laser sensor, so I bought a 5 pack from ebay just to play with. The joy is going to wear off too quick so I need more.

What cool gadgets can I waste more money on? Nothing too crazy...

Online Brumby

• Supporter
Re: WTB - Something
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 02:21:43 pm »
Differential scope probe?

That's something that I'm mulling over.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 02:32:36 pm »
What cool gadgets can I waste more money on? Nothing too crazy...

So long as you're not in the UK, the EEZ BB3 power supply is pretty damn neat. Once you've built it and just, you know, powered stuff you can write scripts to automate blowing fuses and things. And recording the electrical mess in real time.

https://www.envox.eu/eez-bench-box-3/introduction/

There's a couple of threads on EEVBlog for it too.

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 04:57:41 pm »
Bullion

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 07:48:38 pm »
Some kind of active probe sounds like a good project. I'm great at starting new projects, getting breadboard functionality, and then shelving it.

I do like the idea of a new power supply. I looked on craigslist and a DP820 is waiting for me. They want new price so we'll see if they really want to sell.

I think my country banned the owning of bullion. Maybe that was then and now it's different. I think bullion comes on a piece of paper written in ink. Sounds boring.

I will also find where is my thermal imager. I'm having a hard time buying the uti260b from the ebay sellers right now espeically on a two month ship scale, and never did the alibang thing.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 08:01:26 pm »
Get married.  That will solve your excess cash problem.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, s8548a, AVGresponding, nightfire

Offline BigBoss

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 08:26:47 pm »
Get married.  That will solve your excess cash problem.
You're damn right .. >:D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 12:08:22 am »
You folks need to go back and read the requirements document. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/wtb-something/msg4172218/#msg4172218
It says nothing too crazy...  :scared:

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 10:09:31 am »
I guess this is out of the question then?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255523718174

:popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 11:46:21 am »
The BB3 looks great but wouldn't be particularly affordable to most. Perhaps define a budget and roughly where you are.

Myself I looked at the UniT thermal cams but wasn't impressed. China manufacturers seem to be starting to mix in lower cost or downgraded and defective sensors mainly in cameras so far but I assume they will copy sensors rather than buy western originals. Then there is the chance of factory seconds being sold which happens elsewhere as well but more easy to avoid than from China.

I don't see the UniT delivering a 10 year bench life, cheap old Chinese products depreciate quite poorly as well. Some Flir products (undoubtedly higher quality and more expensive) have instead appreciated in value.

But yeah tools are always good, I brought most of what I need years ago but it's handy to make a list as you think of them. I've got really nothing I can think of aside from you identifying things you think could have been useful.

I mentioned about the cheap 3D printer here if you are in the US and don't have one.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2022, 03:19:26 pm »
I guess this is out of the question then?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255523718174

:popcorn:

If I rocked up with that, I'd be given a mattress to put in it; it would be called "The Doghouse" ... and there would be one permanent occupant.   ::)

The following users thanked this post: MK14, Nitrousoxide, AVGresponding

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2022, 04:59:08 pm »
The definition of fun can vary widely.  If you don't have a real one already, maybe an itsy-bitsy SMU from AnalogDevices?
https://www.analog.com/en/design-center/evaluation-hardware-and-software/evaluation-boards-kits/ADALM1000.html

It was meant as an educational board, but can also be used as a generic tool around the lab.

Offline rfclown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2022, 07:35:23 pm »
What a strange question to pose to the masses. Who knows what you like; a moka pot? (cheap and a source of much pleasure) I liked the response about getting married. I did that, then had six kids, then got re-married to someone with two kids. Trying to think of what I've gotten recently (I get lots of gadgets) that I've actually continued using. One is a GPSDO; but with a name "metrologist", I figure that's already covered for you. I bought one of the small eBay ones that can be had for <$100 US. Used to use my eBay rubidium. I've gotten so much use out of it that I bought a second one to take to work (so I don't have to share the one GPSDO that my company has). Another interesting thing is one of the cheap VNAs. I got a 3GHz NanoVNA v2 S-A-A-2 for $90 US. The thing with me is that I've got HP VNAs, so I don't end out using the cheapo, but it does work. It is amazing that you can measure S parameters for a low price now (I'm an RF guy). Another amazing thing, but it is a project, is an ADALAM Pluto. When I work on software for it, it is always two steps forward, one step back. I do have it at a point where I use it (at home and at work) as a signal source for Bluetooth and WiFi (2.4 and 5.8 GHz). I have Agilent vector signal generators (at home and at work), but at times the Pluto is all I need. I do have signal reception going... but not to the point that I use it regularly yet. I still use my Agilent gear. But... it has AMAZING potential for a cheap item. eBay cheapo spot welder... haven't used. eBay cheapo WiFi deauth thing... haven't used. RD6006 DC supply... have used (and bought a second one for work). FA-2 freq counter $132... have used. iPhone 6S eBay $129... use every day. (looking through my purchase log) If you solder, a Metcal solder station. I have a PS2E-01 and a STSS-001 which are essentially the same. For me this is HUGE. We have some Metcals at work, and some of the newer stuff isn't as good. These old things are the bomb. I wouldn't be without them. When I got mine (years ago) a station and wand could be had for about $100 US if you were patient (on eBay) or either separately for $50 each.

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2022, 08:52:33 pm »
I totally understand the question: been there, done that, already have oscilloscope, too many spectrum analyzers, a respectable collection of TV/CATV/SAT field meters, etc. Already have a small collection of vintage computers and calculators. At some point, one gets actually depressed as there seems to be nothing out there to capture the interest. I feel the OP.

Anyway, here is a list of stuff I would like to have (but lack the budget for times to come):

1) Geiger counter or equivalent test gear to measure radiation: with the way the world is going, this might be a sound investment
2) Bunker: not exactly something you can buy off the shelf, but if you have a house and a garden, perhaps this will be a cool project. Think I am crazy? No I am not! I envy this guy:
3) Thermal camera
4) Drone that would be big enough to carry some add-on like the thermal camera...
5) A proper amateur radio transciever with suitable antenna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2022, 03:41:13 pm »
This might be unexpected. The price was right. It's a surface grinder.

Now I can make things flat and parallel to within two hundred millionths of an inch.

I had to buy a mag chuck.

I bought one size too small, so might buy another one.

I also bought parts to build a power supply. I already have a 36V transformer and will use a RuiDeng DC-DC converter module, assuming new fets fix it.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding, electromateria

Offline electromateria

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2022, 05:08:02 pm »
Beautiful piece of machinery! Congrats.

I really want a surface grinder ;D need to get a metal lathe / milling machine first though.

What kind of projects are you doing with the grinder?

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2022, 07:02:26 pm »
I mentioned about the cheap 3D printer here if you are in the US and don't have one.

A 3D printer is definitely a good idea and so much fun! I have put it off buying one way too long, but now I own one since a half year, I would not want to do without.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2022, 08:44:26 am »
Beautiful piece of machinery! Congrats.

I really want a surface grinder ;D need to get a metal lathe / milling machine first though.

What kind of projects are you doing with the grinder?

First up is to recondition all of the tooling I've collected like mill jaws, vises, blocks. And then I'll get into a jig for tool and cutter grinding. I might try some shaft work too. If you can be sure to get an automatic unless you really like twisting knobs  :-DD

B&S toss-in block being made good.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf