Author Topic: WTB: Source for Vantek/Caltek DSP3305P - $100 reward  (Read 13048 times)

Offline titamTopic starter

• Contributor
WTB: Source for Vantek/Caltek DSP3305P - $100 reward
« on: November 13, 2012, 09:27:05 pm »
Hi all,

I am looking for the Vantek DSP3305P USB programmable power supply, and I can't find any.  So far, two vendors have given me refunds because they cannot source them.

As I am tired of looking, I am offering $100 via Paypal to anyone who can supply me with a source for two DSP3305P power supply units.  I figure if this community can't find them, nobody can.

Rules:
  • NON-OVERSHOOT models only!  Overshoot models (Yori, Quakko, Protek) NOT allowed.
  • Must have the USB port and be supplied with cable and software.  No non-USB models!
  • Equivalent models that use the Vantek software are OK. 
  • My understanding is the 3A model never comes with USB, but if you can find one 3A is fine.
  • No gouging.  Total price should be around $200 or less.  I will look at higher prices but can't say I'll bite.  If I do, you'll get the bounty.
  • Source must be able to ship to Canada.
  • NO UPS GROUND shipping.  I do not care to pay UPS the $100 I will owe you!
  • Payment when I actually get the units in my grubby little hands.  As noted, two sales have already fallen through.
  • $50 bounty for one unit, $100 bounty for two units.

UPDATES:  I have already tried:

Results so far:

• Glyby: Not USB.  Plus it's marked Yori, which has the overshoot issue.
  • Glyby #2: Not USB - marked as USB/software not included.
  • Aumiton:  outside desired price band, but have inquired anyway.  UPDATE:  They claim it is in stock, has USB, 110V/220V compatible.  Over my budget.
  • Alibaba (Baku): Linked product is minimum purchase 10 units, cannot confirm USB is present.  Can sell 1 pc, but photos show USB is missing.
  • EEVblog post: Looked through here but cannot find a purchasable source
  • MastechPowerSupply: Sells Quakko, which has the overshoot issue.  I have bought from him before and asked him anyway, but got no reply.
  • eBuy17: Cannot confirm USB connectivity.  Anyone speak Chinese so I can check?
  • EEVblog:  Can't purchase from here, no links to workable stores.
  • Protek:  Per the review link above, the Protek and Quakko models both have the overshoot issue.
  • Taobao:  (page in Chinese)  Closest so far.

Please, no suggestions for alternative brands models.  As far as I can tell, the Vantek software is the only suite that meets my needs.

I will entertain offers from owners who want to sell theirs.  If you have one, make me an offer.  If you can buy them new and re-sell them to me for a fat profit, more power to you.

Post here or email me at titam2@shaw.ca.  Thanks in advance for all replies.

Titam

p.s. - yes, I am serious.  $100.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:26:11 am by titam »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: WTB: Source for Vantek/Caltek DSP3305P - $100 reward
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 09:40:45 pm »
can't you use google: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Vantek+DSP3305P&oq=Vantek+DSP3305P&sugexp=chrome,mod=2&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
and your email address is not in the post and you won't read PM's so you've set an impossible challenge if you can call it that !

Offline TorqueRanger

• Frequent Contributor
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:12:31 pm by TorqueRanger »

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 10:30:51 pm »
Thanks for the help, Simon.   :-\

I assumed that my email address would be available in my profile, as it is on some forums.  Not an entirely unreasonable thought, as there is a "Allow members to email me" option in the registration process.  My email is titam2@shaw.ca.

[Edit:  oh, look, my email IS in my profile.  Go figure.]

As for your Google search:

• mib_instruments cannot get the unit any more, I checked.  Their auction says they can, but when they actually looked at the received unit it did not have the USB port.
  • goodluckbuy unit does not seem to be USB.
  • mib_instruments link #2.
  • glyby unit is not USB.
  • glyby link #2.

The other first-page results are mostly shill blogs and other non-stores.

So, you see, I have actually tried.  In fact, I have spent the last several weeks looking on eBay (USA, Canada, UK, Germany, etc.) and scouring Google. 

I went ahead and purchased one from precisegauge.com, but they refunded after they found they could no longer source it.  I then purchased one from Kibuck Electronics, but it arrived at their shop broken.  They very nicely found this out before shipping, but informed me they could not be sure of getting a working unit anytime soon, so another refund.

I came here looking for some help in the hope that someone knew of a source.  Also in case anyone else out there was interested in one in the future, this information might prove useful to them as well.  Excuse me for not being clear enough in my first post.

The good news is - if I am really a flaming idiot, then someone out there stands to make a very easy $100 off of me.  Good for them!

So, more info - I have talked with and/or purchased from these sellers, but they were not able to help:

• MIB Electronics (eBay / webstore)
  • Precisegauge.com (webstore)
  • Kibuck Electronics (eBay / webstore)
  • Goodluckbuy (webstore)
  • Goodlucksell (eBay)

TorqueRanger:  Thank you for helping!  Unfortunately, MIB tells me they can't actually get the USB model any more.  They bought one, but when they examined it it was found to lack the USB port.  I should have mentioned this in my earlier post, that was my fault.  Sorry for the trouble.

I should also note that if anyone can point me to a kit or sch/BOM combo to convert the non-USB Vantek to a USB, I will pay them $50 as well. 

I am willing to go ahead and design a simple PCB to do the conversion, but I don't want to have to do all the design work myself.  (Something like what these guys did with the Atten supply: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180928497419?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649.)

Thanks,
Titam
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:52:06 pm by titam »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 10:38:36 pm »
I believe you can be emailed through the forum but email addresses can only be seen by Dave and us moderators, this prevents spammers registering and collecting email addesses unless you have specifically chosen to make your address available to view

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 11:35:01 pm »
Offer still open.  Come get the $100, if you can.  (Google my user name for my blog, it's up there as well.)

Offline TorqueRanger

• Frequent Contributor

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 01:03:29 am »
Results updated above.  Closest is Aumiton, but they are outside my price band.

T.

Offline TorqueRanger

• Frequent Contributor

Offline TorqueRanger

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 01:22:36 am »
Well boss that's all I can find for you ....

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 01:47:42 am »
Results updated above.  No clear winner yet, no reply from inquiries yet.

UPDATE:  Aumiton says they have it, but at $369 per unit.  Ow.

T.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:00:16 am by titam »

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 03:06:15 am »
I found one seller in China who claims to have it. if you are still interested I can inquire about ordering and ship to you from Hong Kong.
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 03:40:06 am »
I'm interested, provided it meets the criteria in post #1 above.

Be aware that I have had three suppliers physically check their units, and they have all come back to say that they are not, in fact, USB-equipped - even though they are supposed to be.  Some photos of the rear of the unit(s) in question would certainly help my confidence.

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 03:48:38 am »
I'm interested, provided it meets the criteria in post #1 above.

Be aware that I have had three suppliers physically check their units, and they have all come back to say that they are not, in fact, USB-equipped - even though they are supposed to be.  Some photos of the rear of the unit(s) in question would certainly help my confidence.

The seller told me USB and software are options and will require an additional 2 days to order from the factory. No pictures that I can provide you with. You can find the seller from Taobao.com if you search "caltek 3305p". It's all in Chinese though.

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 04:25:03 am »
I can puzzle out the general idea of it.  If I get stuck, my Chinese mother-in-law just arrived today.   ;)

Price?

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 04:39:35 am »
I can puzzle out the general idea of it.  If I get stuck, my Chinese mother-in-law just arrived today.   ;)

Price?

As you should be able to see from the Taobao website, the basic unit is 410 CNY (Chinese Yuan). USB and software is an additional 120 CNY.  I'm not sure about shipping from where they are to where I am (Hong Kong), but I reckon the total per unit will not exceed US$100. That hasn't included shipping From Hong Kong to Canada though. I'm not going to mark up the price any more than your bounty plus rounding up a few bucks. I can also verify and send you pictures before I send it out to you. I have an eBay store myself so if worst comes to worst I'll just suck it up and offer it for sale there.

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 04:48:45 am »
Sounds like a plan!    :D

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 04:57:02 am »
Sounds like a plan!    :D

Want me to order? 1 or 2 units?

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 05:34:53 am »
I'll need to know the total price before I know.  Can you find that out prior to ordering?

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 07:40:37 am »
I'll need to know the total price before I know.  Can you find that out prior to ordering?

OK, I've inquired. Total price including shipping to Canada via Speedpost (http://www.speedpost.hk/speedpost/index.jsf , estimated 2-8 day delivery, trackable online) will be around $170 for one unit or $300 for 2. The seller says it might weight up to 5kg per unit after all the packaging so the cost is a little higher than my original guessitmate. Price still subjects to change depending on the actual shipping costs (might be lower). Let me know if you want to proceed.

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 02:28:48 pm »
That all sounds fine.  Please go ahead and order 2 units for me.  Thanks!

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 02:54:13 pm »
That all sounds fine.  Please go ahead and order 2 units for me.  Thanks!

Will do. I'll contact you again when the units arrive in my hand. Should only take a few days. I'll send you pictures. Leave me your email address in a private message if you don't mind. EDIT: not sure how I missed it but your email address is actually written all over the place in the beginning of the thread....DUH!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 06:26:49 pm by iloveelectronics »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf