Author Topic: @^#%&$^ Blue LEDs on equipment  (Read 21964 times)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: @^#%&$^ Blue LEDs on equipment
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2013, 12:44:34 am »
I like blue leds.

I wonder if you really like do like them. It's easy to say so on a forum, but a lot harder to prove it.  :)

Can you post a pic of you in the physical act of liking them?  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2013, 04:14:05 am »
Can you post a pic of you in the physical act of liking them?  :-//

Please Don't.
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Offline cimmo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2013, 10:17:58 am »
You know when you overdrive a blue LED and it goes white, because the yellow phosphor can't keep up?

Sorry, not sure if you're trying to make a joke here, but you do know there are no phosphors in a blue LED?
White LEDs are based on a blue LED with a phosphor, but all other LEDs are monochromatic.

If you meant it as a joke/sarcasm, then disregard.
Noise filter is set to ignore: Zapta, dunkemhigh, dannyf

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2013, 04:04:10 pm »
White LEDs are based on a blue LED with a phosphor, but all other LEDs are monochromatic.
Nah; people have gotten creative with the phosphors.  Pink LEDs are also blue emitters with a phosphor.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2013, 04:26:37 pm »
Nah; people have gotten creative with the phosphors.  Pink LEDs are also blue emitters with a phosphor.

Pink is not monochromatic as its a combination of colors (namely white and red, though sometimes with a bit of purple thrown in). Anything that is not a pure color is going to involve phosphors of some sort.

The exception to this would be the "Magic Size" quantum dot LEDs. Where they take advantage of the surface trap emission to create intrinsically white LEDs.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:28:59 pm by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2013, 04:29:29 pm »

Pink is not monochromatic as its a combination of colors (namely white and red, though sometimes with a bit of purple thrown in). Anything that is not a pure color is going to involve phosphors of some sort.

The exception to this would be the "Magic Size" quantum dot LEDs. Where they take advantage of the surface trap emission to create intrinsically white LEDs. At this point those are more of a laboratory curiosity than anything else though.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf