Author Topic: If you got a TI graphing calculator and the computer connector, check this out!  (Read 1889 times)

Offline sourcechargeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I stumbled on this while looking for a replacement windows calculator because, the new one sucks of course..

It's called TiEmu and it's a TI graphing calculator emulator.

I just got my TI-89 working and I think it's awesome.  You could have full screen TI-89!

It's a bit confusing on the installation, but once it's up and running, it's worth it.

You can use a picture of your TI calculator, or simply calculator's screen that fits your whole monitor.

Here is the link, and don't forget to download the GTK run time package at the top of the page before running the latest 3.03 version, as the one that the program tries to automatically download, does not work.

Here you guys go, hope you like it:

http://lpg.ticalc.org/prj_tiemu/

The following users thanked this post: Vtile

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
HP offers a completely free HP Prime emulator along with their connectivity kit (http://www.hp-prime.de/en/category/6-downloads). This is way better than every Ti calculator on the market. I do sometimes keep my HP Prime or other calculators by my desk, but having a nice RPN mode as well as top notch CAS and graphic functionality on a machine that is on the book 4 times faster than the Ti NSpire CAS is just awesome.

I have a personal vendetta against Ti calculators, as they absolutely abuse students with their Ti-89's, charging upward of 100 dollars for what is a very cheap plastic case with some buttons, a tiny low resolution LCD, and a cheap Z80 computer that would have cost 100 dollars in the late 80's. The reason I am so bitter is because for that same price I bought a crazy good HP Prime, while everybody around me is told to waste money on Ti garbage, because all the books are written for it.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

The following users thanked this post: Vtile

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
HP offers a completely free HP Prime emulator along with their connectivity kit (http://www.hp-prime.de/en/category/6-downloads). This is way better than every Ti calculator on the market. I do sometimes keep my HP Prime or other calculators by my desk, but having a nice RPN mode as well as top notch CAS and graphic functionality on a machine that is on the book 4 times faster than the Ti NSpire CAS is just awesome.

I have a personal vendetta against Ti calculators, as they absolutely abuse students with their Ti-89's, charging upward of 100 dollars for what is a very cheap plastic case with some buttons, a tiny low resolution LCD, and a cheap Z80 computer that would have cost 100 dollars in the late 80's. The reason I am so bitter is because for that same price I bought a crazy good HP Prime, while everybody around me is told to waste money on Ti garbage, because all the books are written for it.
TwoOfFive (Ampera), that is an off-topic post and a useless plug to your vendetta - do you really need to mention all the time?

Dislke TI calculators? Just back off from these threads.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:15:07 pm by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Indeed.

I had a TI-92 for a few years as a desktop calculator. Was a pleasure to work with. CAS is pretty good. Might have a bash at this for old time’s sake.

Now I mostly use a Casio FX-991EX and python on a computer but I occasionally look back fondly and consider buying a TI89.

Also had a TI-86. That was super nice.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums

TwoOfFive (Ampera), that is an off-topic post and a useless plug to your vendetta - do you really need to mention all the time?

Dislke TI calculators? Just back off from these threads.

I'm not sure how this is off topic. The topic was about an emulator for a Ti calculator. I pointed out an alternative, and detailed how I dislike Ti calculators, and how the alternative is superior.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Wel it’s not TI for a start... 

I owned a few HP calculators and I didn’t bring them up here.

Offline malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
Hi

I've got a TI 89 from a friend that was faulty and was able to bring it alive, but without the battery backup working again... And since then it has been drawing more power from the batteries than usual and so i decided to dump its rom for use in desktop while still working.

TIemu seems a good choice to have the featured calculator, but nothing beats the real thing in the hands.
If one can make knowledge flow than it will go from negative to positve , for real

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums

How does that matter? To add it's on calculator emulators.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
To the topic at hand: I didn't like the TI connectivity software for my old TI-89 Platinum; it was too basic. Looking at this emulators' screenshots this looks much more useful. If I had known about this I would have kept the calculator (sold it a few years ago).

(...)
I'm not sure how this is off topic. The topic was about an emulator for a Ti calculator. I pointed out an alternative, and detailed how I dislike Ti calculators, and how the alternative is superior.
You started talking about a completely unrelated product to the original post (different brand and 100% incompatible), did not provide any tangible comparison points (only vague personal impressions) and finished with yet another unwarranted rant about TI calculators. This is what warrants your post as "off-topic": vague and unrelated content finalized with an egotistical rant.

How does that matter? To add it's on calculator emulators.
Quite a cognitive dissonance. Quoting yourself: "The topic was about an emulator for a Ti calculator.". The title even says it: "If you got a TI graphing calculator and the computer connector, check this out!"

The way you approached this shows a hint of pride about your choice of brand while diminishing the alternative (which was the topic of the thread), especially considering the enthusiasm the OP displayed in talking about the emulator.

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
Of course it is proper place for TI vs. HP holywar since everyone knows which one is better.

Here is a web emulator, no need to install anything.
https://hp15c.com/web/hp15c.html

;D

The TIs are nice, but unfortunately they are first and foremost done for education market and so are most of the calculators in todays market. Even the HP Prime is mostly for educational market compared to the older flagship HP48..HP50 series (how the OS is build and is behaving).

TI89 is in my opinion the best Texas model for real calculator needs (apart from nongraphic scientifics), but frankly I couldn't use the menu based TIs anymore, I'm totally spoiled by the open "terminal" style of HPs 48..50 series, on fly programming, parenthesis free calculations, fluent inbuilt unit system and so forth. ....And try to calculate with complex numbers shifting between phasor and rectangular formats ... pita.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 06:00:14 pm by Vtile »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf