Author Topic: "Flat Earthers"... what the F%$# !!!  (Read 16234 times)

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
Re: "Flat Earthers"... what the F%$# !!!
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2018, 10:23:28 am »

...If you want to be taken seriously I'd suggest avoiding the use of the word "sheeple" -- it is popular with a political group that likes to shout about fake news while watching nothing but.   Also, I'm no fan of any of the cable news outlets.

As to the US being the great Satan ... yes, the US has certainly engaged in bad actions in, particularly central America in support of companies like United Fruit, but I don't believe I said the US was an angel.

This topic is about the Flat Earth movement and the people behind it, we could go on about the stupid second war in Iraq and other bad things done by the USA, but that isn't the topic of this thread now is it.  On the subject of disinformation which Flat Earth and Chemtrails and a myriad of other things are about we don't have just the word of US Intelligence agencies that are all saying pretty much the same thing but that analysis is supported by the intelligence agencies pretty much everywhere else -- but I guess they could all be controlled by the CIA.  Interestingly, Google, Facebook and Twitter have all admitted to being unwitting assistants to these acts and recent actions by YT would suggest they are finaly getting serious about them.

So, I'm not hallucinating this, the intelligence services around the world aren't making it up, and the corporations that have been the playground where these actions have taken place have all admitted that it has happened and that it continues.

Brian

Before this thread gets nuked...   

If you want to be taken seriously with all those incinuations and expect anyone to buy it, please furnish some sources,

especially why you think or believe "the intelligence services around the world aren't making it up"

Do you have connections, or work there, or deliver pizzas and give them a free coke and garlic bread for insider info...  :-// 

Otherwise it wreaks of Youtube conspiracy theories, media circus BS,  and perhaps a bit of puff puff pass too    ;D

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2018, 10:26:59 am »
As to the US being the great Satan
No one here said that..
.. yes, the US has certainly engaged in bad actions in, particularly central America in support of companies like United Fruit, but I don't believe I said the US was an angel.
You’re minimizing. The historical record is that we’ve interfered in many, many countries elections, This dataset shows that the US interfered in 81 elections between between 1946 and 2000 (vesus 36 by the Russians).

More recent examples include the 2002 election in Ecuador and even the 2012 and 2017 French elections.

but that isn't the topic of this thread now is it.
True, you introduced this political topic in reply 13 of this thread.

Interestingly, Google, Facebook and Twitter have all admitted to being unwitting assistants to these acts
These corporations have a vested interest in maintaining US hegemony and the status quo. Do you really think that they are unbiased arbitrators?
and recent actions by YT would suggest they are finaly getting serious about them.
Yes, they are demonitizing US based journalists and others who dare to question the official narratives parroted by corporate media. ::)

I'm not hallucinating this, the intelligence services around the world aren't making it up, and the corporations that have been the playground where these actions have taken place have all admitted that it has happened and that it continues.

Yes, but it’s a matter of scale. Of course Russia makes some effort at influencing our politics. All large countries do the same. Yet despite extensive efforts to root out the extent of this, the evidence is that Russias efforts have been tiny - for example only $100k on Facebook spending -only $47k pre election could be found (multiple sources for this, easily found with a search).

In contrast, how much did the US and other western countries spend to install Yeltsin as Russia’s president in 1996?

How much do you imagine the US intelligence agencies are currently spending to inflence Russian politics?

Does that make us evil? No more evil than other empires throughout history

The truth is that the current “Russiagate” hysteria is a deliberate effort to shift blame and divert attention. It also helps that it provides further justification for military spending and further erosion of civil liberties.

Repeating a lie over and over in an effort to make it the “truth” (as politicians and the corporate media are doing) is very Goebellesque. Please don’t aide them by repeating the lie.

And as Chomsky has pointed out
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:12:07 am by mtdoc »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2018, 12:19:29 pm »
Nicely done.   :-+

We're back on topic!

The following users thanked this post: mtdoc

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2018, 01:30:07 pm »
Somewhat relevant to the number of Flat Earth believers, ie useful idiots:
Jordan Peterson | The Most Terrifying IQ Statistic
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2018, 01:45:12 pm »

I found it most terrifying how these guys keep switching seats in the middle of the interview. Scary stuff... :P

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2018, 07:27:12 pm »

I found it most terrifying how these guys keep switching seats in the middle of the interview. Scary stuff... :P

The person who edited this video has an IQ below 87. For sure.

Offline Johnboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2018, 07:53:25 pm »
In a conventional airliner (the larger types, i.e. 747, 767) the passengers cannot see what the pilots see from the cockpit. Passengers can't see much from the window seat, either, really. The lateral perspective is over within seconds as the airliner climbs, and soon they are in the clouds at cruising altitudes. Not much to see from back there to do the job of refuting a strongly-held belief, especially if you're not looking for one.

The real question to my mind is, then... how many "Flat Earthers" hold pilot's licenses? Earth's curvature would be considerably less deniable from the cockpit perspective.

I wonder whether the airlines would be willing to combat disinformation by instituting a "Take a Dope to Work Day" for commercial pilots...

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2018, 08:10:46 pm »
how many "Flat Earthers" hold pilot's licenses?

I sincerely hope the answer is "none". I trust that they still learn to navigate without a GPS, and it does help to appreciate that non-Euclidean geometry applies...

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2018, 06:38:54 pm »

The person who edited this video has an IQ below 87. For sure.
The info is right though. He didn't cut or anything wrongly together there.

Offline niladherbert

• Contributor
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2018, 10:35:25 am »
Anyone smart enough to pass those tests is smart enough to know that the earth is round and is just having a laugh at those that try to correct them

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2018, 12:35:01 pm »
Anyone smart enough to pass those tests is smart enough to know that the earth is round and is just having a laugh at those that try to correct them

Don't say that too fast:
Flat Earth 737 pilot gets grounded
https://flateartheducation.wordpress.com/2017/10/02/flat-earth-737-pilot-gets-grounded/

It made even some headlines in German publications

This flat earth stuff BS has nothing to do with IQ!
As I said earlier in this thread, we have a family member that totally fell for this and his IQ is definitely above 100.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline GlennSprigg

• Frequent Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2018, 02:04:12 pm »
Sometimes, I say to my 'Missus'... (late at night)....
"There was movement at the Station, as the Colt from old Regret had got away !!! "...
She knows what I mean haha.... being basically along the lines of....
"Enough crap has been discussed tonight darling, so let's finish this glass of bubbly,
put away the Guitar, and go to bed now darling !!  (And so we do !!  xoxox)

I 'guess' I'm trying to put this 'topic' to BED xoxox
However, we know that will never happen. But we can ONLY TRY !!!!
If you have read this from the beginning, you would realize that I was aware of the
probable 'Futility'.... but I thought it could be worth a 'try'.....

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2018, 02:18:39 pm »

You started it!  :P

"Die ich rief, die Geister, werd' ich nun nicht los" --
one of the few Goethe quotes they still teach in school here...

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2018, 03:01:24 pm »
The only way this thread will pass into the forgotten annals will be when interest wanes.

It's like a bush fire.  One person can start it but one person can't stop it.  It will only die when the fuel runs out.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2018, 03:42:53 pm »

I love Goethe. When I first read "Everything we encounter leaves traces behind. Everything contributes imperceptibly to our education." I was hooked. The more I read about him the more I understand how come he is considered one of the history's brightest minds.

Goethe is also one of the reasons that I strive to read German. Nothing is better than read an author in his/her mother tongue. "Alles, was uns begegnet, läßt Spuren zurück. Alles trägt unmerklich zu unserer Bildung bei."

I cannot find your Goethe quote in my collection of Goethe quotes. That means that my collection is incomplete.
I've tried to translate the meaning into English, but somehow the imperfect translation: "I called the Ghosts, I will not let go now", doesn't make very much sense to me.

Would you kindly elaborate on the quote? I would appreciate it
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 03:44:35 pm by schmitt trigger »

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2018, 04:32:20 pm »

Don't say that too fast:
Flat Earth 737 pilot gets grounded

https://flateartheducation.wordpress.com/2017/10/02/flat-earth-737-pilot-gets-grounded/

It made even some headlines in German publications

This flat earth stuff BS has nothing to do with IQ!
As I said earlier in this thread, we have a family member that totally fell for this and his IQ is definitely above 100.

Then there are those of us that know IQ scores are kind of BS, and don't always reflect actual intelligence. Just because someone can pass a test doesn't mean their not still dumb as dirt. Flat Earthers are still morons, or have somehow become dumb enough to believe in it, because once you become a conspiracy theorist you abandon all education or actual logic. The longer they believe in huge conspiracies, the lower their actual usable intelligence becomes, regardless of whether they can still pass an IQ test. Failure to properly reason is a lack of intelligence.

The only way this thread will pass into the forgotten annals will be when interest wanes.

It's like a bush fire.  One person can start it but one person can't stop it.  It will only die when the fuel runs out.

It will only die when all the Flat Earthers do. >:D
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2018, 04:36:35 pm »

You started it!  :P

one of the few Goethe quotes they still teach in school here...
Is your quote missing a "mehr" after "nicht"?
I have to say i'm not a fan of Goethe, and they wrote so weird in their time, that I genuinely don't know.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2018, 04:39:55 pm »
Would you kindly elaborate on the quote? I would appreciate it

The structure of the sentence is a bit unusual, certainly for modern ears, to get the rhythm right. It translates to: "The ghosts I called, I can't get rid of them any more."

It's from the "Zauberlehrling", the sorcerer's apprentice. The apprentice uses a time when the master is out to try some spells on his own -- namely, to tell the broom to get water, since that's an unpleasant chore he wants to avoid. And of course he can't figure out how to stop the spell, and the broom ends up flooding the cabin... Quite an entertaining poem, which my son actually got to learn by heart in 4th grade!

EDIT: I just realize that there was probably no need to summarize the contents of the ballad. Well known from Disney's Fantasia, starring Mickey Mouse as the apprentice...  ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 04:56:10 pm by ebastler »

The following users thanked this post: schmitt trigger

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2018, 05:02:08 pm »

While I translated it as "can't get rid of them anymore" myself, there is indeed no "mehr" in the German original. I admit to Googling after I read your question, since I was unsure...

I have to say i'm not a fan of Goethe, and they wrote so weird in their time, that I genuinely don't know.

Not everyone's taste, for sure. But turning this thread from flat earth to Goethe would certainly be an improvement!

Maybe give the "Zauberlehrling" another chance and read it to yourself. It's a nice rhythm and flow!

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2018, 05:02:22 pm »
It translates to: "The ghosts I called, I can't get rid of them any more."

It is certainly applicable to many of the self-created enemies The West in general has been fighting for at least a couple of hundred years. The Mujahadeen in Afghanistan; The Taliban in Afghanistan; The ba'athists in Iraq; etc. etc.. Even the Soviet Union would never have risen to super-power status (if you accept they ever really did) without the assistance of Western individuals and organisations in everything from its inception to its survival through WW2 and the Cold War.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2018, 05:14:19 pm »
Becoming a pilot means an extraordinary amount of learning by rote, I found it difficult as a result, as particularly when you're older you tend to look at things much more analytically, and resist accepting things without understanding the concepts.

What I struggle with in the case of the 737 pilot is that when they took the exams, some of the explanations and rules of thumb are fundamentally based on a spherical earth, including things like weather prediction and time keeping. I guess you could pass the exams without those, but you'd not get 100%.

In practice though, particularly on shorthaul with no transoceanic segments, such as in a KLM 737, the pilot is being guided between arbitrary waypoints from the ground and won't have any means of directly relating to a spherical earth, it might as well be flat.

I can see why she was grounded, she sounded like she had some personal issues regarding her son's health, and the way she dealt with it led her to other conspiracy theories. No way would you take a risk with someone's state of mind like that. Still, I'm sure she'll get a decent pension out of it.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2018, 05:22:29 pm »
nicht + mehr === no + more.  Synonym to anymore.
I get it now.  :-+ That is how come the original sentence did not  initially make sense to me.

But when one is a great poet, one can take liberties with the language.... ;)

Thanks for the thorough explanation.

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2018, 05:36:56 pm »

While I translated it as "can't get rid of them anymore" myself, there is indeed no "mehr" in the German original. I admit to Googling after I read your question, since I was unsure...

Maybe give the "Zauberlehrling" another chance and read it to yourself. It's a nice rhythm and flow!
The longer i juggle it in my head, the more it makes sense without.

Is it naive? I hate to read naive books 'n stuff if there's no reason for it. I mean I did read some children's books, and some stories for older public, and there are cases where the former are more bearable than the latter.

Take a look at Les Fleurs du Mal from Charles Baudelaires, it's great! I can't read french, so I have two translations to german. (I forgot the one I couldn't find too. Maria... Ma...meh) From Stefan George. Absolutely great! The other one was more of direct translation.

It is certainly applicable to many of the self-created enemies The West in general has been fighting for at least a couple of hundred years. The Mujahadeen in Afghanistan; The Taliban in Afghanistan; The ba'athists in Iraq; etc. etc.. Even the Soviet Union would never have risen to super-power status (if you accept they ever really did) without the assistance of Western individuals and organisations in everything from its inception to its survival through WW2 and the Cold War.
If you don't have enemies you have no friends.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2018, 07:13:20 pm »

Is it naive? I hate to read naive books 'n stuff if there's no reason for it. I mean I did read some children's books, and some stories for older public, and there are cases where the former are more bearable than the latter.

Naive -- hmm... It is one of Goethe's most popular works, I guess, and quite accessible. But don't get hung up on the Mickey Mouse image; there's more to the poem than that version! ;)

It is a simple story, and of course one can read a rather conventional moral into it, when the apprentice is put back into his place in the end. But the aspect I enjoy is really the rhythmic flow -- simple catchy rhythms within the stanzas, but with recurring sudden breaks where it switches into other patterns.

Les fleurs du mal is probably rather deeper than the Zauberlehrling. But hey, the Zauberlehrling is only a short ballad -- just read it; it can't cause serious harm  ;)

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2018, 08:57:56 pm »
Flat earth nonsense is particularly stupid since it can actually be easily disproven by anyone (unlike many other conspiracy theories like 9/11 theories for example). One way is to look at ships as they pass over the horizon, you will notice how the top of the ship appear before the lower parts of the hull (when the ships are coming towards you, the hull disappears first when the ship is going away), you might need binoculars but otherwise no other expensive or arcane equipment is needed. Anyone who is able to make a trip to the ocean or a large lake can do it. This has been well known for thousands of years so it really shouldn't be news to anyone.

I hope the flat earthers might actually be having a positive effect by illustrating how dumb a lot of the conspiracy nonsense is, and that people will be more inclined to listen to experts and rational debate if there are people like that around that they want to distance themselves from. But I might just be naively optimistic again.

I used to think they were just trolling, but I don't anymore (the majority, of course there are some who are just trolling). I know too many people who should know better but who still believe all kind of stupid stuff: e.g. that man made climate change is some sort of conspiracy, or that carbs are poison (usually at the same time as they are stuffing themselves with carbs), homeopathy, creationism, wishful supernatural stuff, and so on.

That Peterson guy is right, a lot of people are just really really stupid, relatively speaking, and unfortunately even the smartest people aren't that smart either in the absolute sense, i.e. in terms of acting like rational beings. That we have come up with the theory of relativity (which a lot of people doesn't believe in despite overwhelming evidence) or quantum physics, and similar wonders, is mostly thanks to trial and error, dumb luck and the ability to pass on knowledge to new generations, and most technological/scientific progress only happened in the last blink of an eye of humanity's existence here on earth, and it certainly wasn't thanks to you or me or the vast majority of people.

There won't be any progress unless people accept that this is what human nature is like (i.e. not as rational as we think we are) and that we have to come up with systems and social structures that bring out the good sides of humanity rather than the bad ones. We can't just hope people will be reasonable and rational because we are simply not wired that way.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf