Poll

Should there be a Back to the Future IV?

NO, no way! The trilogy needs to be left as it is. No touchy!
12 (75%)
Yes, but not with Tom Holland. Original cast only.
0 (0%)
Yes! Bring-on Tom (or some other actor).
0 (0%)
None of the above.
4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: [Concept Trailer] Back to the Future IV  (Read 1024 times)

Online HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
[Concept Trailer] Back to the Future IV
« on: January 02, 2024, 10:34:00 am »

It's just a concept trailer using old scenes and AI/video effects made for shits and giggles, but let's say it was real... that there were plans for a Part IV?

Thoughts?

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Re: [Concept Trailer] Back to the Future IV
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 10:45:05 am »
Didn't Robert Zemeckis say he never wants to see a part IV?  It was a perfect trilogy.  It doesn't need a part 4.

You could make a new BTTF, but it would need to be based on an entirely original cast as of course Michael J Fox could not play Marty and to be honest Christopher Lloyd is probably getting on a bit for the role as Doc.  A cast changing so much implies new characters (IMO) and an original concept for a time machine and dilemmas created by such a machine.

Online HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 11:02:37 am »
It was a perfect trilogy.

I tend to agree. So many things have been rebooted or revived (even temporarily) and they've ended up being "meh". Will & Grace was one of them.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 11:28:34 am »
I don't really understand the view people sometimes have that remakes/sequels of good movies/TV should never be attempted because they can never live up to the originals. I guess I might understand the viewpoint if peoples tax dollars were being used to make the remake, but that is almost never the case.

If a remake/sequel is created, and it's shit, it doesn't in any way change how awesome the original are to me.
Ghostbusters (2016) was pretty awful but it didn't change my love for 1 and 2.

There's always a small chance a remake will be awesome in its own way.  Granted, it will never be 'the same' as the original but that's ok.
The remake of Battlestar Galactica was A+  and Ghostbusters Afterlife was enjoyable.

So I'm all for anyone who wants to try remake anything. Don't get me wrong though, I still think they will probably screw it up.
Remakes are very hard to do, but anyone is welcome to try and I'll watch it if the reviews look good.

Enjoy the good ones, Ignore the bad ones.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 11:39:37 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

The following users thanked this post: Exosia

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 10:29:00 pm »
If a remake/sequel is created, and it's shit, it doesn't in any way change how awesome the original are to me.

Ah, you never know. If they travel back in time to remake Part 1, we might be in trouble.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 12:27:11 am »
The Back to the future trilogy is very much in the 80's spirit. A new part made today would not fit IMO, it would probably be an excruciatingly painful movie to watch. Times have changed.
Regarding the concept trailer, my little finger is telling me that if there is a part IV, it will look nothing like that.

Offline WillTurner

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 12:23:06 pm »
Doc and Marty evolved into Rick and Morty.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 11:29:14 am »
I found myself thinking, no matter what it will never have the same 'feel' as the originals.
Then I though, hang on.. if AI is going where it looks like it's going..

Then maybe in 10,20,30 years with Text->Video AI, perfect face cloning and AI acting generation it will be possible to replicate the 80's feel. 
You'd obviously need good story writers, AI probably wont be any good at that, but the look and feel, that it can do.

If you can speak to your computer and it can understand all objects and animations in a 3D scene, and it can understand what you are asking it to change, then maybe you can keep refining a scene until it has the feel you want, the simulated acting you want, and the faces you want.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 11:31:57 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 11:31:07 am »
AI video generation as it is, is surprisingly good -- you can see moments of the uncanny valley but I've little doubt in the next decade the technology will be nearly indistinguishable from reality.  Which is going to be scary for all sorts of things: deepfakes will get even better, but also I imagine Hollywood stars won't be too happy either. 

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2024, 09:01:28 pm »
Well, if means the end of actors getting paid many tens of millions of dollars for a single movie then I'm all for it. Maybe there could be AI generated major league sports for broadcast too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf