Author Topic: [USA Shipping] That´s why USPS deserve to run out of business - FURIOUS RENT!  (Read 23834 times)

Offline ZuccaTopic starter

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Someone not doing their job is not enough to claim the whole USPS is faulty. I'm amazed how efficient they've become in the last 10 years. They are moving stuff 7 days a week and I can get stuff from China in 10 days, sometimes 7 days.

And I'm pretty sure no other country moves more packages and correspondence than from/to the US and most of it is via the USPS

Good point, after all those posts let me now complete my complain in this way:

a) If you are not bother to lose sporadically (about 1/500??? not confirmed, just a guess) a package just use USPS (I hope you will be always in the 499 good one for the rest of your life).
b) If you like me want a better quality than point a) don´t use USPS.

According from the market feedback it seems the number of people thinking according to b) point is increasing.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
I never lost a package from USPS, from the others I did just a couple, supposedly stolen but they didn't have to leave them for someone to nab it in the first place.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
I got a parcel from SAPO today, sent via USPS on 29 September. Seems they are digging through the pile at the mail hubs, trying to get to see the floor again. Hopefully the strike is over for this year.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: That´s why USPS deserve to run out of business - FURIOUS RENT!
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2014, 02:25:37 am »
I wonder how the OP would react if he received his parcel in Canada by UPS or FEDEX with a healthy "customs brokerage and disbursement fee" attached to his precious parcel?

That is right. Those who condemn USPS or their country's Postal Service for that matter should try get something delivered across the border by a courier and see for themselves. For instance, the below link is to UPS list of fees for customs clearance into Canada

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Vito_R

• Regular Contributor
  • Electronics Technician
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2014, 05:04:51 am »
I wonder how the OP would react if he received his parcel in Canada by UPS or FEDEX with a healthy "customs brokerage and disbursement fee" attached to his precious parcel?

That is right. Those who condemn USPS or their country's Postal Service for that matter should try get something delivered across the border by a courier and see for themselves. For instance, the below link is to UPS list of fees for customs clearance into Canada

Absolutely true.  I will never use UPS again after they did everything possible to try to charge a nice fat brokerage fee for a piece of test equipment that I was receiving back from the manufacturer in the US for a warranty repair.  Tried everything possible to clarify that I didn't pay anything for this item and it was simply being repaired under warranty at no charge to me.  Those greedy b****ds wanted to charge me brokerage on the full value of the item when it entered my country even though I originally purchased this item in Canada.  Will never ship with them again.  USPS all the way.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 05:14:26 am by Vito_R »
Do the job right the first time.  Quality over quantity will save you in the long run.

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
A Miracle! I don´t know if I need to cry for happiness or sadness.

Check the Tracking updates:

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=9405509699939271302462

I think they are sending the unit back to the sender because it was unclaimed. The funny things is that package never reached the final post office or my home and none at U(nbelievable)S(cary)P(ostal)S(tupidity) could tell me where the damn package was.

NEVER GIVE UP WITH USPS!   ;D  :box:

It could be just a bubble, but now I have 1/500 % hope.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:07:53 pm by zucca »

Offline eurofox

• Supporter
    • Music
A Miracle! I don´t know if I need to cry for happiness or sadness.

Check the Tracking upgrades:

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=9405509699939271302462

I think they are sending the unit back to the sender because it was unclaimed. The funny things is that package never reached the final post office or my home and none at U(nbelievable)S(cary)P(ostal)S(tupidity) could tell me where the damn package was.

NEVER GIVE UP WITH USPS!   ;D  :box:

It could be just a bubble, but now I have 1/500 % hope.

Maybe you have forgotten to put Italy on you address, there is a Rome as well in USA  :-DD :-DD :-DD
eurofox

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor

It's pretty obvious that while the package was in the hands of USPS it moved quickly and was well tracked. There is a month where it was out of their control. There may be no way of finding out what happened during that month.

Just as China has no mailmen in America, America has none in Italy.

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali

True but it was a USA, OK to USA, SC package. I am Italian but I do not have to send or receive stuff from my beloved country, praise Jesus.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Sorry, I don't think most people (including me) that posted here were aware that this package was not sent to Italy. Where exactly was it supposed to go?

The fact that it was listed as "unclaimed" makes me wonder what was going on. It looks as if the Post Office expected someone to pick it up from them in Greenville.

True but it was a USA, OK to USA, SC package. I am Italian but I do not have to send or receive stuff from my beloved country, praise Jesus.

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2014, 08:56:45 pm »

UPS do have a bad reputation for that.

FedEx have been better in my experience.  Last year I had some goods incoming from the UK (to USA).  FedEx matched the address against my FedEx account, charged the whopping $12 customs duties to my account and delivered the package the next day.  No excess fees at my end.  At least here, it doesn't actually cost anything to have the FedEx account.

As for USPS, I'll take them any day over UPS from DigiKey or Mouser.  Sure they ship the same day, but it takes a week.  Ask for priority mail and DigiKey/Mouser sit on their hands and age the package for a day before actually giving it to USPS, but then it takes two days - so if I order over the weekend, I'll get the goods Thursday via USPS, the following Monday if via UPS.  Then again, the USPS delivery dates are estimates.  On occasion, they will deliver a day early - that never happens with UPS; they hold packages at the local depot until the scheduled delivery day.

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
The epic Fluke 375 was back in the sender hands. He managed to ship me back the unit one more time:

Maybe Santa will help/teach USPS how to deliver packages so I hope I will got my Xmas present soon since this year I was not a terrible kid.

Take care,

Z
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:11:24 am by zucca »

Offline Postal666

• Regular Contributor
Re: [USA Shipping] That´s why USPS deserve to run out of business
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2014, 10:27:49 pm »
If it makes you feel better, use UPS and/or FedEx. We end up delivering it to you anyway. FedEx flies our overnight/airmail. They are all in bed together people. To the OP, the two links below demonstrate why the USPS will be just fine.  Why? Simple. Pay UPS $10 to ship a box; they turn around and pay us $4 to deliver it for them. They don't lose $ because they don't have to cover the single-ended destination expense; we make $ because the $4 was all we were going to charge to deliver the item anyway. Now, multiply that by (tens of?) thousands of parcels nationwide per office per month. It's a brilliant business strategy on both sides.

http://www.fedex.com/us/smart-post/index.html

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/bussol/browse/domestic_mail_svcs.html

Dig up the figures for each of the big 3 on lost/damaged/insurance claim payouts, and I bet you'd find that the USPS is right on par with everyone else. Like anything in life, "you pays your money and you takes your chances."

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Thanks Postal666, it is almost all right what you are writing.

You seems to be the most qualified person working at USPS I met.

The item is now shipped to me but not delivered yet. This time I have a good feeling, I hope one day to post here a picture with the "FBI most wanted" Fluke 375 in my hands.

Can you pick up the phone and spoke with some supervisor/boss at the Greenville,SC distribution center? My package was in a "nobody knows" room there for a month (instead to be sent to my local postal office) and then shipped back to the sender "UNCLAIMED" without I could do anything about it, I did even not got an official notification for that; neither my local postal office.

The poor guys working at the front desk in my postal office and other postal offices in my area were terribly sorry for that and seems to me they could do nothing to really help me. According to them also my idea to talk with a distribution center supervisor was hopeless. We end up laughing a lot together, also the people in line behind me were participating. It was a happy time in this sad story.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 01:52:33 am by zucca »

Offline Postal666

• Regular Contributor
[USA Shipping] That´s why USPS deserve to run out of business - FURIOUS RENT!
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2014, 05:08:42 am »
Can you pick up the phone and spoke with some supervisor/boss at the Greenville,SC distribution center?

Unfortunately, I am just a carrier and cannot even have a meaningful dialog with my immediate supervision, much less get answers from Greenville, SC. Sorry.  There could be many reasons why it didn't make it to you, but I cannot speculate what happened in this case.  Could have been an error on the label caused it to be sent to a different town (zip code error) with the same street name, and maybe there was a sub on the route that day and didn't realize that the person (you) didn't live there. Maybe they were just too freaking stupid to realize they had a package for the wrong place.

The USPS is trying to transition to a low-pay, part-time, temporary workforce to save a buck instead of making cuts to the bloated management side of the business, and as a result service is suffering.  For the most part, the new people we get are young (20's) and get NO benefits, NO guarantee of permanent employment, and NO days off. Yep, they are working them 7 days a week. Turnover is high, and they suck. Hell, this past Saturday I worked 10hrs47mins with no lunch and was only the 3rd carrier (out of about 40) finished with their route for the day.

Looks like the item made its way back to the sender and is now on its way to you again. Hopefully there won't be a repeat performance and it will get to you this time. Best of luck!!!  :-+

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
Australian perspective.
Australia post is sort of a monopoly and sort of goverment but I have never had them lose anything or damage a parcel of mine. Of course I am only counting within Australia.
Whereas the couriers are pretty haphazard, lose stuff, smash stuff, even deliver stuff.
When I needed to send prototypes (2 months work) I sent them Express registered mail.

BTW shouldn't it be Furious RANT?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 10:46:20 am by HackedFridgeMagnet »

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
Of the approximately 200 packages I had inbound since 2010:
1 got lost in the mail system, PostNL (CN).
1 got a enormous customs fee of nearly 200% the actual value, DHL (CN).
Also the only customs free from a asia package.
1 got a way too low customs fee of 5% of the value, UPS (USA).
1 got away without customs fee of the USA :phew:.

Guess it is not that bad after all in the Netherlands.

Although, former government company doing the mail in our country is now hiring self-employed delivery people because you can just stop hiring them. Way cheaper than firing one.

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali

Stay angry forever is stupid. At some point I start to laugh about it, no matter how bad it was.

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
zucca, how good is poste Italiane? would be interesting to compare the national post carriers
Finland post:
Complete tracking for packages and maxi-letters. I would guess  that less than 1/10000 tracked packages get lost. 
Letters: not so good, I bet 5% are lost or delivered to wrong address.  :-//

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too

Stay angry forever is stupid. At some point I start to laugh about it, no matter how bad it was.

That's a good attitude.

If you check the tracking number today, it's either in transit or the tracking number got reused.

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
May the peace be with you and with the entire Universe

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 05:31:38 am by zucca »

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
Ordered from mouser on Friday morning.  Paid $7 for USPS.  On track to be here on Monday.

UPS ground would have been 5 "business days"  and no clue the cost until shipping..  Meaning, they would "accept it" on Friday, but not a "real shipping day".  Monday would be day one - and I'd get dinged for a package with "dimensional weight" could be $40-60 USD if mouse didn't break down a long tube of IC's.

And then I would get it a week later - on the next monday.

5 business days.

So who is better????  USPS form friday to monday, vs UPS and $50 in a week?     :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 02:40:25 pm by george graves »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Just sent something ordinary post with SAPO to the UK, and it took 3 days to arrive. Incredible for SAPO, and all I ask is for the half dozen things incoming that are sitting somewhere is a warehouse arrive fast to me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf