Author Topic: (im)Practical Electronics mag (UK)  (Read 1281 times)

Offline PerranOakTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
(im)Practical Electronics mag (UK)
« on: December 29, 2020, 10:33:08 am »
I’ve been subscribing to Practical Electronics magazine (previously EPE) for years.

Initially, it was excellent, particularly for the “PIC ‘n’ Mix” feature that dealt with microcontrollers “in the raw”. For the past years, however, it’s focussed on a feature using its own invented version of an Arduino-type ... thing.  Not a clone but in principle the same: where an “environment “ controls everything for you.

I want a more direct interaction with uCs but I do like a mag.

Any suggestions of one I could get in the UK?

Cheers.
You can release yourself but the only way to go is down!
RJD

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Re: (im)Practical Electronics mag (UK)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 12:55:05 pm »
Magazine?

EPE or whatever it's called these days is barely a UK mag, editorial and tutorial is UK but the majority of the tech content is bought in from Silicon Chip, I think it's probably the last UK electronics magazine and have been in a slow decline for years, their choice of regurgitated silicon chip microcontroller projects where the source is closed makes it little more than a kit building guide.

The MagPi might be the closest the UK has to an electronics mag these days and it's pretty poor if you want more than simple Pi projects.

You can get Circuit Cellar, Elektor, Nuts and Volts, Silicon Chip and I'm sure many more I can't remember right now but they're all 'overseas' subscriptions and cost if you want a physical copy.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 01:32:38 pm »
I subscribe to Circuit Cellar and Elektor, they have also gone downhill, one of them that I read also has quite a lot of articles that requires the "Micromite" whilst a good project in itself, not everyone wants to use it for their projects.

Let me know if you find a decent one on your travels!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 01:36:23 pm »
I looked at this a couple of years back and came to the conclusion that magazines as a format are completely dead.

There is some fun to be had looking through old magazines though, of which thousands are archived here: https://worldradiohistory.com

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 05:59:23 pm »
I looked at this a couple of years back and came to the conclusion that magazines as a format are completely dead.

There is some fun to be had looking through old magazines though, of which thousands are archived here: https://worldradiohistory.com

There are many at archive.org too.

Offline PerranOakTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 01:52:20 pm »
Cheers all. Looks like I'm buggered for an actual mag.

You can release yourself but the only way to go is down!
RJD

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 03:59:29 pm »
Cheers all. Looks like I'm buggered for an actual mag.

Kinda, I prefer a physical copy that I can make notes on so I took to printing out PDF copies I enjoyed, though I think EPE/PE prevented that for a while.

You can get an 'E' subscription to loads of mags and some, like Elektor, give you access to a huge back catalogue of magazines which you can lose hours in and learn loads.

The following users thanked this post: PerranOak

Offline medical-nerd

• Regular Contributor
  • What's that coming over the hill?
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 08:58:15 am »
Hiya

Have a look at Diode from Australia.

https://diyodemag.com/

Its not like the 80s magazines but can give ideas.

Also there is a torrent of Elektor magazines available that should keep you busy for days!!!  (I still have the first UK print edition.)

There are also magazines for specific interests from societies that may be useful with back issues available on DVD e.g  the G-QRP SPRAT for low power radio communication.
Carrying On The Practical Way - George Dobbs G3RJV(silent key and creator of G-QRP) was a regular article in practical wireless and all articles are available on dvd - I must admit I have printed them all.

Cheers

Steve
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 09:02:02 am by medical-nerd »
'better to burn out than fade away'

The following users thanked this post: PerranOak, hoglet

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf