Author Topic: [Off Topic] Stop a Douchebag  (Read 15972 times)

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
Re: [Off Topic] Stop a Douchebag
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2016, 12:58:50 pm »
China!  :o
The BMW driver who drove over the 3 year old's head to make sure he was dead was only following the Chinese philosophy "TO GET RICH IS GLORIOUS!" Barbarians and money don't mix.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2016, 05:38:34 pm »
Can you explain this?

I heard that it stems from the breakup of the USSR and consequence relative wealth of Russians. All of a sudden people could afford a car and drove them, but hardly anyone had lessons or stuff (since they couldn't afford them beforehand, and wouldn't have had access to a car anyway). Thus the level of driving skills is trending to 'atrocious' and a dashcam becomes necessary simple from the number of smashes.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2016, 06:03:21 pm »
Can you explain this?
Easy. This is what happens when you have a dysfunctional law enforcement.

The police is so corrupt that it is impossible no to take bribes, since at the end of the day you will be asked by your commanding officer to give your share. And if you want to be honest, you will be quickly "transferred" to some place else.

And with police mostly focusing on bribes, people know they can get away with a lot of things an d they have no problems violating the law.

This did not happen instantly, it happened with barely noticeable shifts over many years.

And even people, who tried to behave, eventually give up seeing how violators of the law are not prosecuted.
Alex

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2016, 06:06:03 pm »
Can you explain this?

I heard that it stems from the breakup of the USSR and consequence relative wealth of Russians. All of a sudden people could afford a car and drove them, but hardly anyone had lessons or stuff (since they couldn't afford them beforehand, and wouldn't have had access to a car anyway). Thus the level of driving skills is trending to 'atrocious' and a dashcam becomes necessary simple from the number of smashes.
I've watched a lot of those Russian dashcam videos and it's amazing how the worst wrecks boil down to just a few, easily avoided, causes. Like passing on the right at high speed, driving too fast in slick conditions, and running red lights.  Going into the oncoming lane while passing a line of cars on a snowy road, then losing control when swerving back into the correct lane and then striking oncoming traffic head-on or going into the culvert and rolling is so common you could have hours of video just on that one crash-mode.
I suspect that alcohol is involved in many of those Russian crashes. I've even learned a few Russian words: like "Blyats".
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2016, 06:09:00 pm »
Decent odds on that someone from that channel will get killed or seriously hurt.
There are decent odds this happens even if you just drive normally. There a lots of dash cam videos of Russian road rage.

Why do you think a lot of people have baseball bats in their car? There are no baseball fields and no one plays baseball in Russia, but it is still considered to be sports equipment, so no license to carry is required. And baseball bat does a lot of damage :)

Stop douchebag is mostly a political movement created to attract public attention to the problem, so they mostly do this for really outrageous violations (there is not enough stickers in the world to cover all violators in Russia). So most actions happen in public places, so they are relatively safe.
Alex

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2016, 06:12:35 pm »
I've watched a lot of those Russian dashcam videos and it's amazing how the worst wrecks boil down to just a few, easily avoided, causes.
All wrecks can be avoided if you simply follow the rules. But not following the rules will bet you places faster. Or kill you, but you don't think about that part until later.

I suspect that alcohol is involved in many of those Russian crashes.
This is actually not true. Drunk driving is pretty uncommon in Russia.

I've even learned a few Russian words: like "Blyats".
It is mostly singular "blyat" :)
Alex

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2016, 06:16:08 pm »
cops will get you and ask you "do you have some friends at high level"?
Well this part is automated in Russia. Cops simply look at a license plate. In Russia there are no personalized LP, they are always sequential, but there are ranges that are "reserved" for people who can afford them.

So person driving a car with a license plate "A001AA" will never be guilty of anything :)

Consequentially most of those plates are installed on very expensive cars.
Alex

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2016, 06:20:22 pm »
Meanwhile in the US:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/28/us/hit-and-run-body-lodged-in-windshield-trnd/

and not the only time:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/28/us/woman-is-sentenced-to-50-years-in-case-of-man-in-windshield.html

I think with a little effort, one can find people with callous disregard for human life in most cultures, even ones supposedly "civilized".
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2016, 06:25:44 pm »
And another purely Russian example - blue buckets movement, which actually had effect.

If you are rich, you could buy a license to have a flashing blue light you can install on your car. This supposedly gives you the right to go through traffic faster.

Here are videos from 6 years ago

Number of people allowed to use them drastically reduced. And all those rich douchebags now driving without the special lights. Still violating the laws, but at least violating them like everyone else, without a preference :)

Alex

The following users thanked this post: jancumps

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2016, 06:29:14 pm »
I think with a little effort, one can find people with callous disregard for human life in most cultures, even ones supposedly "civilized".
Absolutely. There will always be mentally unstable people. But you can't just says "oh, we'll never get them all to behave, so let's just give up altogether".

In the US the system is mostly working fine, so that law enforcement can really focus on cases where it did not work.
Alex

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2016, 03:46:05 pm »
In the US the system is mostly working fine, so that law enforcement can really focus on cases where it did not work.

Here is the American version of SAD

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2016, 06:17:22 pm »

Let's make this a little bit (un)political.
Did you noticed all potential car thieves are of the same color?

A single youtube video is a too small sample, statistically wise.

You need to watch at least 2-3 more videos to have scientific validity.

Offline rch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2016, 06:49:46 pm »

Let's make this a little bit (un)political.
Did you noticed all potential car thieves are of the same color?

And from different segregated neighbourhoods, starring different segregated filmmakers friends.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2016, 06:56:43 pm »
I kind of like it. Some people really think they own the world and can do whatever the f*ck they want.
It's always interesting that they get angry even when people don't even really say something.
Already says a lot.

(why people always ask if the other persons actually works? It's completely irrelevant of the situation  :palm:)

5 is the minimum to make a scientifically minimal result. Everything less is invalid!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 07:01:21 pm by b_force »

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2016, 08:15:50 pm »
Meanwhile in the US:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/28/us/hit-and-run-body-lodged-in-windshield-trnd/
The driver was charged with murder yesterday but the police will not say why.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2016, 08:48:12 pm »
Meanwhile in the US:

The driver was charged with murder yesterday but the police will not say why.

The story says the driver was charged with "vehicular manslaughter" among other things, big difference.
The local TV news yesterday said murder.  The CNN is dated June 28
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/aug/25/murder-charge-added-fatal-dui-oceanside/
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2016, 10:02:48 pm »
... The crazy Arab guy (an actual Arab) is funny as hell too.

Those videos are made by a group of Arab Australians

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/was-driveby-shooting-prank-wrong-muslim-brothers-attacked-after-girl-caught-up-in-skit/news-story/2070767c117856eedd103d6ce74f3f99

The difference from the other videos here is that the victims are not douchebags and didn't do anything wrong.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 10:05:36 pm by zapta »

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2016, 02:47:00 pm »
IBTL  :popcorn:

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2016, 06:57:02 pm »
1. the existence of an anti-douchebag movement speaks volume about the lawlessness of a country. It is the job of the government to make sure that laws are executed. or you have a 3rd world country.

2. I really enjoy watching dashcam videos. Lots of them from Russia. Not sure why.

3. "Why are Chinese drivers deliberately kill people they hit?" Because dead people cannot talk. If you think the riots are bad, just think how about they would have been if some of the angels had lived to tell the story?

A friend of mine lives in South Africa and his lawyer would him to 1) shoot to kill (an intruder); and 2) fire at least two shots: into the intruder and to the ceiling. Tell the police the other way around.

Good criminals are dead criminals.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2016, 07:41:42 pm »
2. I really enjoy watching dashcam videos. Lots of them from Russia. Not sure why.

Me too.
I think the reason why I like to watch them is to find out what is going on in that country.
There are absolutely no explanations for many of these accidents.
I am trying to find a real reason to understand this.
But may be it is not explainable

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2016, 09:48:09 am »
1. the existence of an anti-douchebag movement speaks volume about the lawlessness of a country. It is the job of the government to make sure that laws are executed. or you have a 3rd world country.
Careful there, danny, your ignorance is showing. :palm:

It's mandatory to have a dashcam in Russia.
Not mandatory, but really helpful if you happen to get involved in a traffic accident.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2016, 11:00:22 am »
I can understand insurance companies enticing drivers to use dashcam as a way to fight fraud.

It seems a little extreme for the government to mandate it to fight corruption: very rarely you see cops in those videos.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf