Author Topic: [OT] Video: The Mechanics of the Film Projector  (Read 1725 times)

Offline zaptaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
[OT] Video: The Mechanics of the Film Projector
« on: July 27, 2015, 06:52:32 am »
Not electronics but is interesting nevertheless. This well made video explains how electro mechanical/optical film projectors worked. They even had a X3 frame rate multiplier to reduce the flicker.  If the length of the film between the lens and the audio sensor was too short or too long (vs the nominal 26 frames), you could notice time difference between the audio and the image.

http://youtu.be/En__V0oEJsU
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:56:38 am by zapta »

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
Re: [OT] Video: The Mechanics of the Film Projector
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 09:44:48 am »
Not electronics but is interesting nevertheless.

It still surprises me what we used to do without electronics or computers. If you didn't already know how it works could you recreate it without? I honestly don't think I could. I definitely wouldn't of thought of optically encoding analogue audio. I'd reduce the lifetime with a magnetic strip. Or using a rotating shutter. I'd be trying to control the light source instead.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 02:29:32 am »
Not just analog audio but even today digital audio is optically encoded onto film. It's fascinating stuff.

This image is 35mm film encoded with SDDS, Dolby Digital, Analog Audio and DTS Time Code. The white spaces are actually the sprocket holes so it gives you an idea how small it is.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:31:27 am by Halcyon »

Online helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 03:16:36 am »
This barely scratches the surface: no mention of the Geneva Mechanism, and nothing about optics.
There also were shutter wheels that could switch their teeth dynamically based on playback speed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf