Author Topic: [rant]why do english/chinese companies don't give a damn about other languages..  (Read 25558 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Also:

;D

After watching that I can say that the English and German are completely comprehensible, the lass from Zurich marginally comprehensible, the lad from Valais completely incomprehensible except when he basically spoke French. Oh, well at least the Valais have the best sheep in the world:

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor

I'm not even sure which message that is at this point! :P

The fellow who thought the whole world ought to be made to speak English for the benefit of lazy Americans.
Oh, that. That post was so dumb I didn't deign to respond.

With that said, it must be acknowledged that Americans and Brits are equally, um, "revered" around the world for being the boorish tourists who authoritatively expect everyone in every country to speak English.

So wot's wrong wiv dat? Dat's aah ya say 'bowkay' and 'flahers', only aah reckon ere's anuver aay in flaahrs. I fort you was a Linguist, but it saands like ya ain't got a clue wot proper English saands like, and by 'at nacherly aah means Lunun English a caus. Aah naa 'at ere's em oo'll claim that air's uvver sorts ov English, but they ayn't propa if ya gets me drift. U av naa idea ow 'ard it is to write like wot aah talks like.
Oh, believe me, I do!!!

Wanna see something impressive? Read Stephen King's book "Dolores Claiborne". Yes, the movie is great, because Kathy Bates makes anything great. (And the movie is extremely faithful to the book.) If you've seen the film, you might recall that it's actually Dolores recounting the story. No biggie as such. What's insane is that the book also follows that format, and the entire book is written in the Maine accent!!  :o I remember that when I first read it, it took me about 30 pages to actually figure out the accent, upon which I started the book from the beginning again to make sure I picked up all the details I missed the first time around.

So yeah. An entire book written like that. And it's a King book, so not exactly a low page count.

Almost as impressive as the dude who wrote a book (in English) that doesn't use a single letter "e".

Bloody 'ell, I'm naa officially exausted! Sod is fa a game ov soljers.

Or "Sod this for a game of soldiers". It's struck me more than once that if you could pull just the layer of generic American accent off the top of a Baltimore accent you'd get something very like the London accent. A lot of the words whose pronunciation appears to seem atypical to an American would seem normal to a gor-blimey Londoner like me, like flaahrs, pretty flaahrs.
:P

FYI, though, I don't think "flahers" is pronounced the same in London and Baltimore, the latter pronunciation actually steps on the toes of the word "flares"!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Wanna see something impressive? Read Stephen King's book "Dolores Claiborne". Yes, the movie is great, because Kathy Bates makes anything great. (And the movie is extremely faithful to the book.) If you've seen the film, you might recall that it's actually Dolores recounting the story. No biggie as such. What's insane is that the book also follows that format, and the entire book is written in the Maine accent!!  :o I remember that when I first read it, it took me about 30 pages to actually figure out the accent, upon which I started the book from the beginning again to make sure I picked up all the details I missed the first time around.

I'll pass. Reading stuff written like that gives me as much of a headache as trying to write it. The only exception was the Nadsat in Clockwork Orange, which was so well done that I could just pick up the language as I went along. For all the other writers I've encountered trying to do it I'd rather have a tolchock in the yarbles that have to get through a whole 200+ pages of the stuff.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor

I'll pass. Reading stuff written like that gives me as much of a headache as trying to write it. The only exception was the Nadsat in Clockwork Orange, which was so well done that I could just pick up the language as I went along. For all the other writers I've encountered trying to do it I'd rather have a tolchock in the yarbles that have to get through a whole 200+ pages of the stuff.
200pp? Come on. The current paperback edition is 336 pages, so it's just a short story, really!  ;D

(As a teen, I read most of King's novels to that point, most of which were 600-1000 page paperbacks!)

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
Be glad. Chinese, Japanese and Korean don't have white spaces at all. You have to delimit words after knowing their meanings.

TheearlyRomanscriptdidnthavespacesoranykindofpunctuation. Later·they·developed·these·dots·to·separate·the·words, then finally dropped them altogether leaving the spaces we know today.

Offline TheHolyHorse

• Regular Contributor
  • You don't need to be confused, just understand it.
Am I really the only who, really wouldn't want english websites translated? I hate it when I open a program or website and it's not english, it's disgusting.

Uh. Do you find any other language disgusting (  :-// ), or do you just find the translations themselves usually so poor that they are disgusting?

It's not that the translation it self is bad, it's just that the swedish language just doesn't work well with certain subjects. Like talking about computers, programming, cars, electronics etc most technical things, the translations are just bad and you can't do much about it.

So because computers, programming, cars and electronics are all things I spend my free time on and thus read, write and talk alot about over the internet and IRL. That's why I really don't want websites translated, if it's written in English it should stay in English.

Am I really the only who, really wouldn't want english websites translated? I hate it when I open a program or website and it's not english, it's disgusting.

Yes you are. Websites should be on the local language. It would be VERY boring if everything was in english.

They should be in whatever language they were initially written in with options to translate it to whatever language someone would want to.

Offline Gromitt

• Regular Contributor

Uh. Do you find any other language disgusting (  :-// ), or do you just find the translations themselves usually so poor that they are disgusting?

It's not that the translation it self is bad, it's just that the swedish language just doesn't work well with certain subjects. Like talking about computers, programming, cars, electronics etc most technical things, the translations are just bad and you can't do much about it.

So because computers, programming, cars and electronics are all things I spend my free time on and thus read, write and talk alot about over the internet and IRL. That's why I really don't want websites translated, if it's written in English it should stay in English.

Swedish works very well in those areas, It is just that some people automatically assume this regarding Swedish. English has polluted the minds of many in Sweden, just hear how many pronounce the word 'Euro' wrong.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor

Swedish works very well in those areas, It is just that some people automatically assume this regarding Swedish. English has polluted the minds of many in Sweden, just hear how many pronounce the word 'Euro' wrong.
What is the correct Swedish pronunciation? The pronunciations I'm familiar with are English ("your oh"), Spanish/Italian/etc ("eh oo ro"), French ("er oh"), and German ("oy ro").

Offline Gromitt

• Regular Contributor

What is the correct Swedish pronunciation? The pronunciations I'm familiar with are English ("your oh"), Spanish/Italian/etc ("eh oo ro"), French ("er oh"), and German ("oy ro").

The correct Swedish pronunciation is something like "eh uh ro" or "eh v ro" (both are correct) but people often pronounce it like in English.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf