Author Topic: 0-10V speed controller (for fan) with normal 0-10v dimmer?  (Read 918 times)

Offline onesixrightTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi,

I need to install a tube fan. This one has a 0-10v RPM speed control function.

Is this something you can control with a "regular" 0-10v "dimmer" or would you still need some special RPM speed controller?

Many thanks!

R.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Re: 0-10V speed controller (for fan) with normal 0-10v dimmer?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 11:01:15 am »
0-10V just refers to the control input.  If the input to the fan controller is just 0-10V, I can't see any reason it would not work.

The caveat is if you tried to control a fan with e.g. a light dimmer with a 0-10V input.   That would probably result in an angry light dimmer, followed by smoke, so I would not recommend that.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 07:45:55 am »
The caveat is if you tried to control a fan with e.g. a light dimmer with a 0-10V input.   That would probably result in an angry light dimmer, followed by smoke, so I would not recommend that.
Not sure what you mean with this? 

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 10:17:59 am »
Not sure what you mean with this?

If you use a dimmer switch with a 0-10V input that is intended for dimming a light, and try to drive the fan motor with it, the result will likely be the destruction of the dimmer switch.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 02:36:33 pm »
Hi,

I need to install a tube fan. This one has a 0-10v RPM speed control function.

Is this something you can control with a "regular" 0-10v "dimmer" or would you still need some special RPM speed controller?

Many thanks!

R.

Do you have the datasheet for the tube fan? That's where we're going to find the answer.

It is very possible that you can simply use a potentiometer but to verify that and to understand how it needs to be hooked up we would need to see the datasheet/technical documentation for the device.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 09:54:30 pm »
This is whats in the technical manual:

.... fans are suitable as standard for speed control by variable voltage with constant frequency, i.e. for operation on transformers or with phase angle control. Speed control via frequency converter can be provided on request via a special fan.
An advantage of speed control is the clearly audible noise reduction. And is therefore particularly suitable for night-time operation of ventilation and air-conditioning systems.

The vendor has explicitly told me that you can buy a "Speed controller R-1/010" and that the fan can be controlled via 0-10V (it has apparently a 0-10v connection).

This is the speed controller: https://ventilation-system.com/series/r-1-010

I don't want to use a manual speed controller, but control the fan via my HA (KNX). KNX has dimmers that can output 0-10v. The "problem" is these are stilled called "dimmers". I suspect they only output a 0-10V signal that tells the fan what speed it needs to run (probably some PWM for 0-100%).

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 11:07:30 am »
I think the fan has all the circuitry needed to be be controlled by a 0-10V signal. So you need to supply it with power and the 0-10V signal.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 06:18:55 pm »
Speed controller R-1/010 looks like a potentiometer with switch.

I think you can use KNX analog actuator without problems, that's not a dimmer, but a 0-10V analog output.
I can't recommend you one though.

The following users thanked this post: fastbike

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf