Author Topic: Successfully Built a 5S LiFePO4 Battery Pack  (Read 375 times)

Offline ASICSTopic starter

• Contributor
Successfully Built a 5S LiFePO4 Battery Pack
« on: May 27, 2024, 07:58:36 am »
I’m excited to share that I’ve successfully built a 5S LiFePO4 battery pack! This was my first attempt at creating a battery pack, and I wanted to document the process and share some insights for anyone interested in doing the same.

Planning and Components
First, I planned out the battery pack specifications and gathered all the necessary components. Here’s a brief overview of what I used:

Battery cells: 5 LiFePO4 cells connected in series
Battery Management System (BMS): To ensure safe operation and cell balancing
Nickel strips: For connecting the cells
Wires and connectors: For completing the circuit and connecting to the load/charger
Heat shrink tubing and insulation materials: For safety and protection
Assembly Process
Cell Preparation: I started by preparing the battery cells, ensuring they were all at the same voltage level for uniformity.
Series Connection: I connected the cells in series using nickel strips and spot welded them to ensure a strong connection.
BMS Connection: I connected the BMS to the battery pack, ensuring each cell was connected to the corresponding point on the BMS for monitoring and protection.
Final Connections: Added the main positive and negative wires, making sure to use proper connectors for secure and reliable connections.
Insulation and Protection: Used heat shrink tubing and additional insulation materials to protect the cells and connections from any potential short circuits or physical damage.
Testing and Results
After assembling the battery pack, I conducted several tests:

Voltage Check: Verified the overall voltage of the pack and individual cell voltages to ensure proper series connection.
Load Test: Connected the pack to a load and monitored the performance, checking for any signs of imbalance or overheating.
Charging Test: Charged the pack with a compatible charger, ensuring the BMS was functioning correctly and balancing the cells.
Insights and Tips
Safety First: Always prioritize safety. Wear protective gear and ensure you’re working in a safe environment.
BMS Importance: A good BMS is crucial for the longevity and safety of the battery pack.
Cell Uniformity: Start with cells that are as closely matched in capacity and voltage as possible.
Overall, the process was a learning experience, and I’m quite pleased with the results.

Hope this helps anyone interested in battery pack building!

The following users thanked this post: BILLPOD

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Successfully Built a 5S LiFePO4 Battery Pack
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 11:37:26 am »
congrats on your success - don't forget to mention in detail:

BOM

test gear

spot welder

etc

testing and photos  ;)
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline tunk

• Super Contributor
Re: Successfully Built a 5S LiFePO4 Battery Pack
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 12:18:01 pm »
Many BMSs don't do balancing, and if your does, you
may want to test if it can handle large unbalances.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf