Author Topic: $75k preamp....  (Read 51724 times)

Offline IvoSTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
$75k preamp....
« on: August 18, 2012, 03:37:02 pm »
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/tenor3/1.html
exotic, indeed. ;D But still, I would rather buy a "S" class Mercedes instead.  ;D

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
Re: $75k preamp....
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 03:43:03 pm »
hmm i bet they didnt want to show the whole empty box's inside just the front with a cuople of transformators and a tube socket :)
i wonder what the hell cost 75k about this :) but as i see this is an industry where you can make millions by giving nothing

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 03:48:57 pm »
Whereelse in the world is this possible but AUDIOPHOOLERY

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 03:52:46 pm »
Don't you think for $75,000, they would atleast show you the internals?

No no...too much to ask, I understand.

Offline IvoSTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 03:55:40 pm »
Even better it the company philosophy of their implementation design.
http://www.tenoraudio.com/thecompany_thedesign.html

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 04:02:36 pm »
I think those multipole sockets are a part of the price tag. they are pretty expensive items.

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 04:24:00 pm »
Lovely chassis (no sarcasm), but for that price I'd expect the wood to be polished by Canadian virgins.

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 04:40:03 pm »
Lovely chassis (no sarcasm), but for that price I'd expect the wood to be polished by Canadian virgins.
no-no it should be come with 10 redhead blue/green eyed pretty virgins :)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 06:10:41 pm »
I can supply the 10 certified virgins, but you better have 60 cows as the bride price. I charge a commission of $2000 and 2 cows as broker. Not blue eyed, not red hair, but guaranteed virgins.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 06:16:38 pm »
they must be using 40GSps ADCs and DACs and high end ASICs/FPGA/DSP inside. 20 years of research, me is certainly not the target costumer.

i dont care how many virgins polishing even if angels from heavens. with 75K i can get 7 chicks at my disposal. virgins are pain in the scrotum.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 07:00:15 pm »
It has a MCU inside. Not very purist signal wise. If I was going to buy a new preamp it wouldn't have a noisy microcontroller within a million miles of it. Looks all sizle and no steak to me.

David.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline Sionyn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 08:27:51 pm »
blimey check his wool usb cable
http://www.elijahaudio.com/
eecs guy

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 08:55:03 pm »
dear god..... but only the fools can be parted from their money :)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 09:37:22 pm »
I think in any line of business there will be fools willing to pay over the odds. The art of it is creating a sideline especially for them and then letting them know about it in a way they are convinced it is worth it.

Offline Nirios

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 10:10:25 pm »
blimey check his wool usb cable
http://www.elijahaudio.com/

That looks like copper wire stuffed into shoe laces with the ends cut off.  I'm in the wrong industry. :)

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 10:41:41 pm »
It has a MCU inside. Not very purist signal wise. If I was going to buy a new preamp it wouldn't have a noisy microcontroller within a million miles of it. Looks all sizle and no steak to me.

David.

Huh? Bring your talk elsewhere.

Offline bilko

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 11:47:05 pm »
Are the cables temperature compensated or will the audio be susceptible to noise from random electrons and thermal energy ?  ;)

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 12:02:44 am »
If only they realised what the signal went through in the recording, mixing and mastering chain ...
Was it really supposed to do that?

Offline RCMR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 01:33:15 am »
Even better it the company philosophy of their implementation design.
http://www.tenoraudio.com/thecompany_thedesign.html
Hmmm... and I bet he drives a car that runs on nothing more than water and baking-soda!  :o

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 02:04:19 am »
they must be using 40GSps ADCs and DACs and high end ASICs/FPGA/DSP inside. 20 years of research, me is certainly not the target costumer.

i dont care how many virgins polishing even if angels from heavens. with 75K i can get 7 chicks at my disposal. virgins are pain in the scrotum.

And where would you find a virgin in Canadia anyway?

iratus parum formica

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 02:34:45 am »

And where would you find a virgin in Canadia anyway?

Well I would start my search at star trek conventions, however I don't think those are the virgins anti-proton is looking for :'(

Those guys are good at polishing knobs though.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 04:06:11 am »
hahahaha

No these aren't the droids we're looking for. Move along.
 :)
iratus parum formica

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 10:43:45 am »

David.

Has my post offended you in some way? Are you a moderator who has the power to dictate who posts on this forum? If you are not you can not tell me where I can or can not post.
If you read the description of the preamplifier in question you will notice that it has a USB port and that its various switching actions are controlled by pressing control knobs. Clearly done by using a microcontroller. Most Hi-Fi pre-amps are very wide bandwidth (upto 100Khz) and they are cabable of picking up switching transients. My comments refered to the ideal of keeping all audio signal paths as simple and direct as possible. This precludes the use of a micrcontroller where a simple switch would do. I'm just expressing my preference for simplicity wherever possible. Now do you understand?

David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 11:02:19 am »

David.

Has my post offended you in some way? Are you a moderator who has the power to dictate who posts on this forum? If you are not you can not tell me where I can or can not post.
If you read the description of the preamplifier in question you will notice that it has a USB port and that its various switching actions are controlled by pressing control knobs. Clearly done by using a microcontroller. Most Hi-Fi pre-amps are very wide bandwidth (upto 100Khz) and they are cabable of picking up switching transients. My comments refered to the ideal of keeping all audio signal paths as simple and direct as possible. This precludes the use of a micrcontroller where a simple switch would do. I'm just expressing my preference for simplicity wherever possible. Now do you understand?

Don't mind T4P. He thinks he is special and may well become part of a special minority soon if he does not get his act together. He's on his 3rd username that I'm aware of as if he thinks that fools people into thinking they are randomly getting abuse from different people (we have now disabled the ability to change usernames in his honor)...... I'm still trying to work out if he thinks he is a potential rival for Dave or the late Kiriakos...... he will be joining the later's category if he is not careful !

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 11:17:32 am »
What the hell.
I'm just trying to find a username that suits my blog, not "raining abuses" making people think i'm 3 people at once,
I'm not that stupid!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf