Author Topic: 138 years of Popular Science for free browsing!  (Read 2660 times)

Offline ErikTheNorwegianTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
138 years of Popular Science for free browsing!
« on: September 28, 2011, 11:28:26 pm »
From their website:

We've partnered with Google to offer our entire 138-year archive for free browsing. Each issue appears just as it did at its original time of publication, complete with period advertisements. It's an amazing resource that beautifully encapsulates our ongoing fascination with the future, and science and technology's incredible potential to improve our lives. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

In the future, we'll be adding more advanced features for searching and browsing, but for now, enter any keyword into the box below and dive in.
Search the PopSci archives:

http://www.popsci.com/archives

and if You find annything fun, share it here..   :)
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Offline Storeinfinity

• Contributor
  • StoreInfinity thinks decent,different and longterm
    • StoreInfinity
Re: 138 years of Popular Science for free browsing!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 07:03:23 am »
Just browsed the issues of year 1984--the year when I was born.
Thank you.
It's indeed a great source.
Life was cheaper by the way having watched most of the period advertisements on them.

Mischa@shanghai
many thanks again
A lot of notorious online sellers cheat or rip off while we do not bother; We work hard to be constantly refined as a decent, reputable and life-long reliable distributor for people in this field. We now live in Shanghai, a city of vibe with over 30 million people. Come and check this place out!

Online johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:40:30 am »
Australians - use http://books.google.com.au then search for "Popular Science", the issue month and year, etc.

Offline Semantics

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 03:26:21 pm »
Very cool of them, but, boy I hate proprietary readers.  :(

My local library has many issues of Popular Science (and Omni, Byte, Compute!, and some others) on microfilm and I've spent lots of time reading those. I was kind of excited at the idea of kicking back with a pdf and in color instead of hunched over that projector but yuck.

Offline RCMR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 08:34:24 pm »
Popular Science and Popular Mechanics archives have been online (via Google Books) for over a year now (from memory).

I already had most editions from the early 1940s but it's nice to be able to search the archives electronically to find articles of interest.

These are *great* windows on the history of technology and society.

And many of the engineering projects/articles are as relevant today as they ever were.

What a shame the contemporary versions of these magazines are not a patch on the stuff that was published several decades ago.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf