Author Topic: 1500' TV Tower  (Read 5132 times)

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
Re: 1500' TV Tower
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 06:14:48 pm »
One of those flying squirrel suits and a parachute would be a better bet.  That would be fun as hell!   

And yes it's cold up there.  CDMA cellular radios used to be on the ground, but HSPA radios have to be in the tower due to it being more sensitive to impedance.  Less coax = less losses.   The issue with the radio being up there is it gets very cold and it causes VSWR issues.   The cellular NOC used to call us asking us to send a tech.  Uhh what do you want the tech to do, climb the tower with a blow dryer?  :-DD  It's -40 at ground level, it's probably -50 up there. Ya it's cold. lol.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2018, 11:34:45 pm »
Yes, because the cellular subcontracting companies pressure their workers to go so fast, so very fast many - thinking they are smart enough to not need to, don't use safety equipment and fall. The large numbers of these deaths are the industry's ugly secret.

Is this dangerous?
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2018, 03:42:05 am »
When it comes to tower climbing videos, I don't think anything beats this one: https://youtu.be/2A_h2AjJaMw?t=21
Holy shit!  :scared:

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2018, 03:01:21 pm »
Please read this:

https://www.propublica.org/article/cell-tower-fatalities

And watch this video:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/cell-tower-deaths/

----------------------------

When it comes to tower climbing videos, I don't think anything beats this one: https://youtu.be/2A_h2AjJaMw?t=21
Holy shit!  :scared:

They have to make it so that the work people have the time to use safety equipment.  They can't push people so hard they can't use it.

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2018, 03:25:17 pm »

And watch this video:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/cell-tower-deaths/

Here is a world wide high quality 720p version of that docu:

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 04:08:25 pm by BrianHG »

The following users thanked this post: cdev, a59d1

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2018, 06:08:44 pm »
How does OSHA not crack down on this? They inspect my friend's machine shop regularly, there has never been an injury there in more than 20 years they've been operating but that doesn't stop them. They're anal retentive about all the machines having proper guards and functioning door interlocks and such, it's to a point of excess. I'd have thought that the first tower death would have resulted in sweeping changes.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2018, 06:26:40 pm »
How in the hell do they manage to build/erect this thing?
I mean, just getting all that mass of metal, tubing, wiring and piping all they way up there?

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2018, 06:38:29 pm »
How in the hell do they manage to build/erect this thing?
I mean, just getting all that mass of metal, tubing, wiring and piping all they way up there?

Basically, they push up a hoisting tower module thingy above current the top level of the tower, bolt that into place to the side and hoist up the next section of actual tower, then push the hoisting section up another distance, repeat, repeat, until entire tower is constructed, then lower the hoisting section to the ground.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2018, 10:23:38 pm »
The major cellphone companies use subcontractors to do the dangerous jobs, and by doing that they avoid accountability. But they create economic conditions that drive the subcontractors to push climbers harder and harder - to not use safety equipment, because it makes them work slower.

It's a race to the bottom on safety.

How does OSHA not crack down on this? They inspect my friend's machine shop regularly, there has never been an injury there in more than 20 years they've been operating but that doesn't stop them. They're anal retentive about all the machines having proper guards and functioning door interlocks and such, it's to a point of excess. I'd have thought that the first tower death would have resulted in sweeping changes.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2018, 10:37:30 pm »
cellphone companies in America are a joke. The engineering salary I was offered was a joke, I could stock boxes in the liquor store for more money and less travel. They also charge like 5 times more then European companies for the same amounts of data etc. Also the coverage is still somehow horrid. If you want good coverage then you need to pay like 10 times more then europe for verison.

They also feel entitled and important with their payment structures and stuff. Pompous assholes. Also run by people that don't know how to speak English. It's not just their call centers rofl. During a negotiation I kept getting some guy trying to get some company car thrust into my asshole and pretend its worth something. Yea like I am gonna learn a buncha arcane communications engineering shit for that kind of salary. SO useful for anyone but them. And all your knowledge probably goes outdated every time they up the G protocol. Maybe it would be worth it if I sold some ice cream and delivered some pizza on the side with their company car.

I wonder where their money is going. They charge absolutely ludicrous rates and pay next to nothing. Clearly its not going for infrastructure maintenance or employee safety.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 10:45:44 pm by coppercone2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf