Author Topic: got a surprise project today that I slam dunked.  (Read 2321 times)

Offline TrananTopic starter

• Contributor
  • A Emerging power engineer.
got a surprise project today that I slam dunked.
« on: October 08, 2013, 05:34:05 pm »
Sat in the "Office" and minding my work on a high voltage wire model. When a Interior designer storm in cause he had problem! Oh dear a arty guy with a math problem. He has a room 18X12X3,5 meter and his contractor has stipulated that at 0,8m there must be 100 to 150 lux as a mean value. We call it hallway lighting. This was at 10:00h.

After dragging my calculator out of its casing and turned it on. I did some math. I used n=(E*A)/(¤*N). thats the normal efficiency formula. E= desired lighting condition in lux A= area in square m ¤=flow of lamps N= number of lamps. Shake the formula then I got this N=(E*A)/(¤*n) I got th info that they wanted a lamp with ¤=6000lm and at least 40% efficiency and the room is 216m2.
dunked that in and got that I needed 8 pieces of fixtures.

So I punch that in to my 3D render and placed the room and fixtures and gave them a report. If they follow my plan then they got 115lux as a average light at 0,8m.

Did a short report and some economic calculation and wiring plan and material cost estimate and mailed that to them at 14:00h.

Math is good. I think I can get a reward and a treat fore that!  :-+ Engineers is ruling the world. 

Offline JackOfVA

• Supporter
Re: got a surprise project today that I slam dunked.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 05:42:29 pm »
Do you have to worry about uniformity of lighting and analyze the radiation pattern of the individual light fixtures or is the light sufficiently diffused by the fixtures that the pattern near the floor is uniform?

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 05:54:04 pm »
Do you have to worry about uniformity of lighting and analyze the radiation pattern of the individual light fixtures or is the light sufficiently diffused by the fixtures that the pattern near the floor is uniform?

I mead a analyses in the 3d render and I got the light to a some what uniform pattern got a EAvg=115 Emin=23 and a Emax=189 that gives a Emin/Emed=0,197  And that gives a somewhat of a patten. but if I had given them a 10 fixtures the it had been to bight fore the specs given and 9 fixtures no I like 8. I believe they want spots on the wall fore artwork and so on but I don`t know. the got their 100-150 lux and it is going to cost them 4,3kWh a day.

Offline GoatZero

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 07:40:50 pm »

I mead a analyses in the 3d render and I got the light to a some what uniform pattern got a EAvg=115 Emin=23 and a Emax=189 that gives a Emin/Emed=0,197  And that gives a somewhat of a patten. but if I had given them a 10 fixtures the it had been to bight fore the specs given and 9 fixtures no I like 8. I believe they want spots on the wall fore artwork and so on but I don`t know. the got their 100-150 lux and it is going to cost them 4,3kWh a day.

What software are you using to render that kind of simulation?

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 07:49:59 pm »

What software are you using to render that kind of simulation?

DIALux 4,11

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf