Author Topic: Tektronix electric kettle?  (Read 7225 times)

Offline TerraHertzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
Tektronix electric kettle?
« on: October 17, 2013, 03:31:25 pm »
Well that's annoying.
I bought a Tektronix TLA 721 logic analyzer from the USA. I told the seller to not bother with sending the mains cord as the mains plugs are different here in Australia, and I have a ridiculously large collection of assorted IEC mains cords anyway.
So it arrived, it's clean, works, but... the power supply cord connector is not a standard IEC C14, but rather a C16.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320
It's the same as a standard IEC but with a keyway, that prevents standard mains cords from fitting. See photo.

In my 'extensive' collection of IEC mains cords, it turns out I have precisely one of that kind, and it's crappy.

Whhhyyyy did you do that, Tektronix? The wiki page says the slotted variant is supposed to be for high temperature uses, like for electric kettles. It's the same current rating as the usual form.

So, does that mean Tektronix expected their TLA 721 logic analyzer mainframe to be used to boil water?

More importantly, I wonder where to buy one?

Buying an IEC mains cord. As opposed to wondering what to do with all the accumulated free ones... it's a strange concept.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:35:36 pm by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: Tektronix electric kettle?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 03:37:59 pm »
Might be less hassle in the long run to replace the socket instead (no bothering with locating the correct cord vs. the rest of your cord collection).  ;)

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 03:43:15 pm »
Is it possible that the inlet filter blew a cap and was replaced? Both of my Tek scopes use an integrated filter/jack combo, and they have the "normal" connector.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 04:09:24 pm »
It appears to be original, judging by how well it fits the metalwork. The whole unit is in excellent, near new condition.

I'm definitely not going to hack a non-original mains socket into it. On other gear I would, but not this.

Funny story - the seller's listing said "Boots to Win2000, but we don't know the password, so cannot go further."
I think that helped in getting it for a low price. And I expected to be faced with a choice between finding and messing around with Windows password cracking tools, or reinstalling the OS and LA App.
When it arrived the first thing I did on booting it was try "password". Nope... oh well. Just for the heck of it I tried [enter].
It worked! There was no password set.

But the machine seemed incredibly sluggish and unresponsive. Task manager says there's a process called 3.txt.exe using 99% of CPU resource.  :-DD
Killed that, suddenly the machine works like it should.
A top of the line Tek logic analyzer, used by half a dozen engineers (their work files are still on it) and it has (had) a virus.

Well I'm not complaining.

Will post pics in a day or two.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline sorin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 04:26:56 pm »
why not cut the keyway??

Offline rexxar

• Frequent Contributor
    • Forever Tinkering
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 05:47:48 pm »
why not cut the keyway??

Or cut a key into any junk IEC cable.

While I understand the desire to keep an awesome piece of kit 'original', something like that is just too big an annoyance, for me. I'd just swap out the connector, really. But to each his own. I think cutting the key out of the existing slot will be far too much work to make it look okay, so I'd just modify an existing cable.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 10:19:00 am »
It turns out Jaycar have the IEC HOT connectors too, according to their catalog.
I was sure I had a reusable one of these in my 'assorted mains connectors' box. After some rummaging I found it - ONE of them.
Annnnnd of course, it's a right angle type, which goes the wrong way.

So it's definitely a trip to Jaycar.

Another odd thing about the TLA 721, is although it's the right width for a 19" rack, there's only two puny little M4 screw holes on each side where you'd expect to find some solid means for mounting rack brackets and handles. Good enough to secure it while sitting on rails in a rack I suppose, but I certainly wouldn't risk lifting the unit by handles only held on by two M4 screws.

Yet another irritating thing - although there are plenty of TLA 700-series units on ebay, and many plugins, do you think anyone would list any of the slot blanking panels? Apparently not.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 12:34:30 pm »
What's the power consumption of it? Perhaps it draws enough current to make a C14 unsafely warm.

Offline denizcan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 12:53:06 pm »
A top of the line Tek logic analyzer, used by half a dozen engineers (their work files are still on it) and it has (had) a virus.

Is there a Windows machine that does not have virus on it? :)

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 02:21:44 pm »
What's the power consumption of it? Perhaps it draws enough current to make a C14 unsafely warm.

It has a universal power supply, works from 90VAC to 250VAC.  With all slots occupied it can be drawing oround 600W. Which at worst case line voltage of 90V, is 6.7A

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 07:44:20 pm »
That's a high current IEC plug. In the US most wiring is only rated to 15 or 20 amps I think. So that's a dead giveaway you need a high current outlet.  I see that plug on servers a lot.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline rexxar

• Frequent Contributor
    • Forever Tinkering
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 08:55:20 pm »
It turns out Jaycar have the IEC HOT connectors too, according to their catalog.
I was sure I had a reusable one of these in my 'assorted mains connectors' box. After some rummaging I found it - ONE of them.

Why not just flip the socket over then?  :-//

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 08:04:12 am »

Why not just flip the socket over then?  :-//

Thats the kind of logic we don't need here! lol

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf