Author Topic: 230V Smoke Dedector + Output for UPS?  (Read 883 times)

Online Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
230V Smoke Dedector + Output for UPS?
« on: May 12, 2018, 03:21:04 pm »
Hi
I have an small 19" Rack under the Rooftop who my SDR and Radio is there.
I looking for some Smoke Dedector who is maintenance free and get powered with 230V from the UPS and can switch them off via Relay output. I was looking on the local Store but the have just some with Batterie.  :palm:
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: 230V Smoke Dedector + Output for UPS?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 04:55:16 pm »
You'll want one designed for an alarm system.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 12:09:26 am »
In Australia, all permanently wired smoke detectors have a third pin used to interconnect to other detectors in the house, so if one goes off, they all activate. This is now a requirement in our building code. They are cheap and easy to find at any electrical wholesaler. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to track one down in your country.

It might be worth getting hold of one and seeing how it triggers the other alarms? I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to wire this to the REPO pins on your UPS to provide emergency power-off.

This is just one of many places that sell them here: https://www.flamestop.com.au/363-240v-hard-wired-interconnectable-alarms-with-10-year-lithium-battery
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 12:11:22 am by Halcyon »

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 12:36:03 am »
Lol, we have similar systems in the US that run off wireless, but they are rare, and we have a hard enough time to get people to put smoke detectors in the first place. I would love to see the US try to implement mandatory civilian interconnected smoke detection in code for new residential construction.
Professional complainer-in-chief criticizing other people's code
Programmer and bumbling Unix fool
Op @ EEVBlog IRC: irc.austnet.irc #eevblog

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 12:43:14 am »
Lol, we have similar systems in the US that run off wireless, but they are rare, and we have a hard enough time to get people to put smoke detectors in the first place. I would love to see the US try to implement mandatory civilian interconnected smoke detection in code for new residential construction.

This surprises me. I think smoke detectors (battery operated or otherwise) have been mandatory here since the early 1990's. Interconnected smoke alarms came a little later. All must be battery backed as well.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 12:46:59 am »
Smoke and CO detectors are mandatory here too, but nobody's really going house to house checking them.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 12:59:22 am »
Smoke and CO detectors are mandatory here too, but nobody's really going house to house checking them.

Wouldn't not having them fitted invalidate pretty much every home and contents insurance policy? I suppose it doesn't really matter if you're dead.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 03:23:24 am »
Probably, depending on the insurance, they'd likely use it as a reason to refuse you a payout. That hasn't stopped people anyways, and if it's a total structural failure (pile of ashes) I find it hard to believe they could tell that you didn't have smoke detectors.

Just because something is a good idea doesn't mean that people are smart enough to do it.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 03:42:52 am »
Probably, depending on the insurance, they'd likely use it as a reason to refuse you a payout. That hasn't stopped people anyways, and if it's a total structural failure (pile of ashes) I find it hard to believe they could tell that you didn't have smoke detectors.

You'd be surprised what you can find in a pile of ashes. I've successfully recovered data from an in-car infotainment unit after the entire car was destroyed by fire. Same with flight data recorders and memory cards from Go-pro's.

Just because something is a good idea doesn't mean that people are smart enough to do it.

Very true.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 04:46:43 am »
I'm not saying you can't recover stuff, but you could possibly argue, that conveniently, all your plastic smoke detectors were destroyed in the fire.

Idk, my guess is they would invalidate it if they found no smoke detectors in your half-burned house. I don't have any reference material to go on anyways.

Online Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 07:26:51 am »
Here are just some with an Battery wildly available and sadly just wireless.
Sry buy I dont know what kind of connection that is on the UPS but when the Connection is open or close (i also dont know which state) the UPS turn off. A Relay?  :-[
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf