Author Topic: 25 Microchips That Shook the World  (Read 6382 times)

Offline ZyvekTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
-Z

Offline apex

• Regular Contributor
    • Thoughts of a nerd
Re: 25 Microchips That Shook the World
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 10:01:24 pm »
Thank you for sharing this!
Kinda great, but I didn't know many of them.
Maybe I'm too young  ;)
apex
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:03:18 pm by apex »

Offline williefleete

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 03:10:01 am »
good to see the triple 5 gets a mention  ;D its IMO the most versatile chip next to a PICAXE

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:21:28 am »
A little sad that Atmel ATmega8 is not there, it was the first to have flash on a micro and was many people's first chip including me in high school class. And of course the heart of the Arduino.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 11:41:57 am »
A little sad that Atmel ATmega8 is not there, it was the first to have flash on a micro and was many people's first chip including me in high school class. And of course the heart of the Arduino.
ATmega is a relatively recent part - the first AVRs were the 90S series, can;t remember the relative chronology but I believe the PIC16C84 was the first mainstream non-OTP part, (although technically EEPROM rather than flash, this didn;t really matter). Microchip already had a growing user base from their earlier OTP parts, so the 84 got a flying  start.
Atmel had low mainstream visibility back then, and were only interested in high volume users, whearas Microchip have always supported low-volume users. Atmel also had some disasterous leadtime problems for over a year around the time Microchip were getting an increasing foothold in the market. 

I'd actually argue that the PIC16C5x series was even more influential than the C84, as it was undoubtedly the first chip that was designed specifically to use OTP EPROM for production, and  opened up MCUs to a whole new market lower volume customers, and the first that was targetted heavily to low and mid volume users  - before that, EPROM and OTP parts were very expensive and seen as only useful for prototyping mask-ROM parts. At the time, the cheapest non-mask MCU solution was something like an 8031 with external EPROM. 

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 11:59:00 am »

I agree with Mike, being flash based isn't really important, the 16C84 (and 16C5x) was game changing. The AVR's were just yet another architecture that jumped on the non-OTP bandwagon. Microchip are ones that created the new market.

Dave.

Offline apex

• Regular Contributor
    • Thoughts of a nerd
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 01:46:25 pm »
Maybe the forum should do such a chip ranking.
apex

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 02:02:50 pm »
Maybe the forum should do such a chip ranking.
apex

These are quite good if you are in a hurry  ;) http://www.mccain.co.uk/our-food/chips/micro-chips-crinkle-cut/why-its-good.aspx
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline Boloop

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 02:33:35 pm »
noob alert: What does OTP stand-for/mean? Tired to do a little searching but With it being a TLA, well it's going to be hard to find which meaning it has out of the 100s assigned to it.
Boloop

Offline DaveW

• Frequent Contributor
    • WattCircuit
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 02:45:35 pm »
noob alert: What does OTP stand-for/mean? Tired to do a little searching but With it being a TLA, well it's going to be hard to find which meaning it has out of the 100s assigned to it.

It stands for one time programmable, so you put your program in, but then cannot modify/reprogram it ever again

Offline Boloop

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 02:54:21 pm »
It stands for one time programmable, so you put your program in, but then cannot modify/reprogram it ever again
Thanks, makes sense now. :)
Boloop

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 03:49:41 pm »
Those chips you get from country pubs are best, not small fries but big chunky chips that kinda steam themselves. Covered in nice gravy.

What? Oh they didn't mean that sort of chips? Tch.

There is a follow-up article here about chips that didn't make it to the final list, and I have to say I can see why. Very few of them are game changers. Most are just some extra level of integration that the end user just wouldnt know or care about. I think the only 2 I would agree with are:

Intel 1702 2048-bit EPROM Chip (1971)
Texas Instruments SN7400 Logic Chips (1966)

http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/devices/the-runnersup-more-earthshaking-chips/0

Offline apex

• Regular Contributor
    • Thoughts of a nerd
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 04:55:43 pm »
Don't you think the 74xx logic IC's had to be in the top 10?
They was a massive use in computers (see EEVBlog #32) and they are still used today!
apex

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 12:06:11 pm »
thankx a lot! nice read..
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf