Author Topic: 555 Timer  (Read 2230 times)

Offline FreeThinkerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
555 Timer
« on: April 08, 2011, 02:09:31 pm »
Does anyone remember the circuit for the Apple][? I seem to recall the mighty WOZ (all hail the mighty woz) used a 555 timer for the ADC on the mother board, this was where the paddles connected and we utilised the port as a data logger to monitor temp on a large format photo copier. I know the 555 can be used in this way but have log since lost my apple ][ manuals and cannot find any reference to it but i'm sure it's the case. Any one confirm?
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline insurgent

• Regular Contributor
Re: 555 Timer
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 03:00:41 pm »
You are correct.
I also remember using the cassette port to digitize audio (30 seconds or so of AC/DC's Back in Black !)
Here's a great write up on the game paddle system:
http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue26/150_1_APPLE_GAME_PADDLES.php

Offline FreeThinkerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
Re: 555 Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 03:25:40 pm »
Ah! Thanks for that, the 555 timer competition stirred up old memory's but the details were foggy. Didn't have a true apple][ myself, just a Chinese clone affectionately known as a crapple. Build quality was very good and the documentation was exactly as apples. Went to the skip years ago but was perfectly functional just not used for a while.... what a waste! :'(
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf