Author Topic: The newest iProduct: The iDVM?  (Read 6370 times)

Offline dayveTopic starter

The newest iProduct: The iDVM?
« on: May 05, 2011, 03:52:49 pm »
I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll just post it here in the general chat.  I don't want to take away from all the legitimate discussion going on in the other categories.   ;D

It's a DVM app for the iPhone/iPad.  The app is free, BUT you'll need to buy the $220 hardware module to actually use it.  I could buy a REALLY nice DVM for $220!

http://www.redfishinstruments.com/

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
Re: The newest iProduct: The iDVM?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 05:14:51 pm »
Many of the iCrowd are style over substance and cost.  I expect it to sell OK.

Offline gobblegobble

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 06:04:48 pm »
Let's see...

2% basic accuracy
CAT III 300V
4A maximum on amps range
Requires iPhone/iPad/iPod to function
And all this can be yours for $220!

I think I'd rather get myself a Fluke 233 if I really wanted the detachable display. ::)

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
  • -0 Resistance is Futile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 06:41:34 pm »
I'd much rather have the likes of my Extech 330 with it's 0.5% basic accuracy rather than this. IMHO It looks like another one for the 'toy' category.

Offline ArtemisGoldfish

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 11:33:28 pm »
2% basic accuracy? According to the manufacturer, my meter has...about 0.03% basic DC accuracy. So the basic accuracy on the iDVM is 66 times worse than my meter's. Wow.
John, Hardware Technician, F5 Networks

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 12:33:11 am »
Yeah, that's just plain stupid.
I wonder if it can handle GSM interference?  ;D

A regular multimeter with a display that has a wireless phone display feature (like the Fluke 233) would be ok.

No uA range, 2%+3 accuracy, 4Mohms maximum. Why did they bother? Oh, that's right, it's a toy, I get it...

Dave.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 12:39:57 am by EEVblog »

Offline BrickBoiler

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 12:44:13 am »
In the same price range is the Extech EX540, a full featured waterproof multimeter with wireless pc interface included.

Also, not that I think Apple is going out of business anytime soon, but to use the iDVM you would apparently have to keep an iPhone around indefinitely. I still use a 10 year old meter pretty regularly, if it was tied to the phone I had back then it would have gotten tossed in the garbage by now.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 05:15:27 am »
Someone has to relieve the Jesus Phone crowd of excess money. RedFish volunteered to do it. Fine with me.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline jasonh

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 06:31:11 am »
My HP48 emulator more than makes up for this dud app, even though it doesnt have a hp42s emulator yet.

Offline MrPlacid

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hobby Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 08:12:27 am »
I wonder if they'll send Dave a free sample for a review. (Dave, give them a ring!) When dave gets his new toy, hopefully he can finally let go of the Gossen. ;D

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 01:37:47 pm »
Aaaahhhh.......    *grabs Fluke meter and runs far far away*  ;D

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 04:06:46 pm »
hey! that picture! is like my red Uni-T DMM! except mine got more buttons and switch/knob position, real buttons real "red". no need iphone to operate. i got nice bag, cables etc. 0.1-0.8% accuracy. and all that for less than $100!

« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 04:11:28 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 09:32:28 pm »
Wow, it uses rechargeable batteries?!

Wait a minute... how much current does this thing draw, anyway? I've had my "Golden Power" alkaline 9V in my dirt cheap, probably very current-hungry digital multimeter for 2 years now. Intermittent use and no low battery yet. So rechargeable batteries will have nominal, if no effect. And frankly, if you've bought an iPhone you've probably already contributed more environmental damage than a couple of nine volt batteries.

I had a laugh when it is stated to have a more accurate resistance range than DC volts! I know of no multimeter with the same odd characteristics.

Also, "Continuity: Beeper on <25 Ohms and Beeper off >250 Ohms" - what happens between 25 and 250 ohms? On my dirt cheap multimeter, it made a kind of sick beeping sound at 33 ohms (specified to <25 ohms and >100 ohms), sort of like in between on and off, a low buzzing tone. But surely the continuity is implemented in software for the iPhone app?

Wait, is this just a multimeter without the display and with a Bluetooth interface stuck in place of an LCD??? It's starting to look a lot like it.

Offline MrPlacid

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hobby Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 03:08:16 am »
At first glance, I didn't believe it. Then I click on the link and thought there is no way this is a joke. These people wouldn't go that far for a joke. Had this been posted on April 1st. I would have thought it was an April's fool joke. 

Offline Sionyn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 12:05:29 pm »
marketing wank

'save money, be green'
eecs guy

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 04:18:07 pm »
marketing wank
'save money, be green'
this was supposed to be my reply #14
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf