Author Topic: 34401A Keysight calibration: 23.8.2019!  (Read 1177 times)

Offline m kTopic starter

• Super Contributor
34401A Keysight calibration: 23.8.2019!
« on: May 22, 2022, 04:25:03 pm »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265697669677

It's not a final price.
Scroll down enough, VAT is added.

It's a cheat, for consumers a final price must be visible.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 05:01:01 pm by m k »
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline m kTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: 34401A Keysight calibration: 23.8.2019! EU bidders
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 07:58:09 am »
Reported.

If they continue offering items excluding VAT an EU consumer can buy, sue and win.
Are they counting that many don't want the hassle and pay.
I know I don't want the hassle but wouldn't pay extra VAT either.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Triplett-YFE

Offline m kTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: 34401A Keysight calibration: 23.8.2019! EU bidders
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 04:58:56 pm »
So it finally went for $425.01 + $70.00 p&p and estimated delivery from 16-Jun to 11-Jul.
Some would say it's still a bargain, even with extra 24% for the item.
But located in Finland, yeah, sure.
It's clearly outside of EU and so must be imported here also.

eBay said they don't know what kind of tax laws we have here.
It was chat so no idea what kind of fast white lie that was.

Anyway, the auction was forwarding normally from this side so must hope the winner remains happy.

But it was a dollar auction.
Is that one cent a bidding strategy?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: 34401A Keysight calibration: 23.8.2019!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 09:35:59 pm »
What are you rambling on about dude...

- Its an auction, so the final price is not known until the auction ends.
- VAT is not included in the bidding price, ebay will add that on at the end if you are in the EU (read the terms and conditions right in the auction)
- The seller says they are located in Finland, what proof do you have that they are not?
- Yes bidding $400.01c is a strategy to win by 1c
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 09:45:23 pm »
way overpriced !
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 10:25:33 pm »
way overpriced !

Not at all by current standards for a good one.  And even just in general--where can you get anything anywhere near this performance even for twice the price?  The only 34401A units that are overpriced are the old, beat up, broken scrapheaps that still fetch good money.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304454648800?epid=4023383036&hash=item46e2e943e0%3Ag%3AV%7EkAAOSwHcdiYZDu&nma=true&si=UcguXpLCSPBdpygcCGCKO5PSwdE%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

(read description and examine photos carefully)
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 02:52:09 am »
there's several on ebay right now for 300$ + 50$ in shipping. that's more like it. and they look in decent shape. 350$ is mor elike it. 500$ is too much. it's not made from solid gold !
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 03:26:20 am »
there's several on ebay right now for 300$ + 50$ in shipping. that's more like it. and they look in decent shape. 350$ is mor elike it. 500$ is too much. it's not made from solid gold !

Um, have a closer look at those photos.  Missing handle, worn/dirty, front panel obviously puttied back on, pictures not clear enough to see scratches or cracks--and known seller of rough goods "acquired from a reliable source".  That's what $350 gets you, while $500 gets you a nice one.  $650 gets you an NOS one, which is getting up there, but you still can't really beat it with anything new unless you value modern features over accurate, durable design.

The one for $499CAD + shipping looks OK.  Everything below that is getting too rough to spend real money on, IMO.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline m kTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 11:33:20 am »
What are you rambling on about dude...

- Its an auction, so the final price is not known until the auction ends.
- VAT is not included in the bidding price, ebay will add that on at the end if you are in the EU (read the terms and conditions right in the auction)
- The seller says they are located in Finland, what proof do you have that they are not?
- Yes bidding $400.01c is a strategy to win by 1c

EU folks are not paying extra at the register.

EU seller is obligated to put up a final price, for a consumer.
For auction that's a current final price.

I obviously can't prove anything based on a web page but I don't need to.
Consumer laws are on my side and I can have an opinion but stated price is not an opinion.

Net store is of course different from brick and mortar but they also must obey rules.
Common practice can also be a rule and protected by a law.
Here a common practice is that VAT is included and import charges are excluded.

I'm also sure that myriad EU inhabitants will agree and are restrainedly annoyed and upset.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 09:46:54 pm »
EU folks are not paying extra at the register.

EU seller is obligated to put up a final price, for a consumer.
For auction that's a current final price.

I obviously can't prove anything based on a web page but I don't need to.
Consumer laws are on my side and I can have an opinion but stated price is not an opinion.

Net store is of course different from brick and mortar but they also must obey rules.
Common practice can also be a rule and protected by a law.
Here a common practice is that VAT is included and import charges are excluded.

I'm also sure that myriad EU inhabitants will agree and are restrainedly annoyed and upset.

No

https://www.onslows.co.uk/Catalogues/ps290612/vatnotes.html
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 09:00:44 am »
Not including VAT is quite common for businesses. Many companies don't do business with consumers at all. Ebay might be an easy platform for companies not usually selling directly to consumers. Not having prices in EUR is probably because they sell worldwide on ebay. Also the shipping seems a bit lazy to have same rate locally as worldwide.

When located in EU (and especially FI) I would try to contact them directly. But I can't tell from their web page if they do business with consumers directly. They might or they might not. On their web page they have prices in EUR and they say that you should ask for a quote. https://www.eqtsolutions.fi

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 09:59:54 am »
In EU the going rate for a good 34401A is 450 Euro
When they show that the instrument is in specs, I have seen them go for as high as 650 Euro
Used instrument dealers even ask 800 Euro these days and get this amount.

There was a time that one could buy them for 200 Euro, but those days are over, I guess.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline m kTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2022, 01:41:36 pm »
Not including VAT is quite common for businesses. Many companies don't do business with consumers at all. Ebay might be an easy platform for companies not usually selling directly to consumers. Not having prices in EUR is probably because they sell worldwide on ebay. Also the shipping seems a bit lazy to have same rate locally as worldwide.

When located in EU (and especially FI) I would try to contact them directly. But I can't tell from their web page if they do business with consumers directly. They might or they might not. On their web page they have prices in EUR and they say that you should ask for a quote. https://www.eqtsolutions.fi

eBay sellers *are* doing business with consumers.
Here the key is not what seller commonly do, it's what eBay commonly do.
The law changes its side when consumers are misled.

The solution is very simple.
eBay adds a check for sellers, consumers included or not.
Adding a text "business only" is also trivial.
Even a business eBay would be quite easy, then the famous one could also participate without a hassle.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf