Author Topic: 3D Printer yet?  (Read 322361 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #1250 on: August 04, 2020, 11:39:56 pm »
In my defense... I picked those vids because they were only people I knew to know WFT they're doing, and because they specifically target CReality.

Otherwise, still good as a warmup for the inevitable troubleshooting snipe hunt.  :-DD

mnem
 :bullshit:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, HobGoblyn

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1251 on: August 05, 2020, 03:59:59 pm »
They were useful, I've as good as eliminated my stringing now.

Chep found slowing retraction speed to 25 helped a lot, I found it made things worse.

I downloaded Makers Muse Ender 3 cura profile and experimented with that.  I originally had combing set to "all",  and disabling it helped a lot. He uses combing, so I tried it set to "within infill"

This worked very well. As good as no stringing (what is there can be blown off).

Still having prints lifting from the bed (see by the word Micro), I cleaned with soapy water (washing up liquid) followed by IPA first.  I can understand my large print lifting at the corners as the edge of the bed wasn't up to temp, but this was in the middle of the bed.  Going to try with my cheapo filament as this has never lifted.   I will turn the bed over and try hairspray if I can't fix this, just strange how it worked perfectly until this new filament.

The other thing I'm having is the writing on the top is unreadable.  At this rate I'll use the entire roll doing tests  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1252 on: August 06, 2020, 11:23:37 am »
Doh, got a living room/ dining room all in one, labs in dining room.

The ceiling fan in the living room being on full is what’s causing the lifting. Put a temporary shield around printer.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, GeorgeOfTheJungle, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1253 on: August 06, 2020, 04:55:57 pm »
Oooh... good sleuthing. A great example of the need to step back & look at the big picture every once in a while.  :-+

mnem
 :clap:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1254 on: August 08, 2020, 09:40:26 pm »
Boring mundane print #88...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3180278/#msg3180278

Working on a fixer upper HP 54645A scope with some collision damage; one of the casualties was a finger clip that holds this corner of the board down.

As board flex is excessive, I printed up a little 10mm2 wedge and glued it in as a replacement.

mnem
Fun was had by all.   >:D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 11:59:43 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1255 on: August 10, 2020, 03:18:05 am »
Just checked in on the CR-6SE KickStarter.

The shipping BS just gets deeper and more convoluted. Now they're telling us all the people who JUST ordered a printer will go out first. They keep crowing about how "Everybody in the US has shipped" and "Everybody in the UK has shipped". UNLESS you had add-ons. So... the guys who spent first and spent most... get theirs absolutely the last.  :palm:

If it weren't for the fact I'm moving right now and have no idea where I am going to be at the end of the month... I'd be REALLY annoyed by now.

Oh, and there are resellers in the Philippines who are already selling theirs retail.  ::)

mnem
"Since I gave up all hope; life is so much better. I used to be constantly disgusted; now I'm meremy amused."

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #1256 on: August 10, 2020, 03:30:15 am »
Just checked in on the CR-6SE KickStarter.

The shipping BS just gets deeper and more convoluted. Now they're telling us all the people who JUST ordered a printer will go out first. They keep crowing about how "Everybody in the US has shipped" and "Everybody in the UK has shipped". UNLESS you had add-ons. So... the guys who spent first and spent most... get theirs absolutely the last.  :palm:

If it weren't for the fact I'm moving right now and have no idea where I am going to be at the end of the month... I'd be REALLY annoyed by now.

Oh, and there are resellers in the Philippines who are already selling theirs retail.  ::)

mnem
"Since I gave up all hope; life is so much better. I used to be constantly disgusted; now I'm meremy amused."
They already got your money. You're not going anywhere. That's one of the downsides of these Kickstarter type deals. We've even seen companies selling to new customers in a desperate bid to stay afloat while Kickstarter orders were pushed further and further into the future.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1257 on: August 10, 2020, 07:33:57 pm »
My turn now,

Have mercy I am new to this stuff, two questions:

1) How to upgrade the extruder with an aluminum Mk8 Extruder
2) The previous owner cut the filament right before the extruder, how can I put the new PLA filament in?

Ender-5 terrible neewbie, here.

Thanks for your kind help, see pics at the end.

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1258 on: August 10, 2020, 09:30:38 pm »
I’ll usually do a cold pull when changing colors; tho not the long drawn out affair you’ll see if you look for the process online. This will work here too...

Get yourself a pair of pliers; any with flat-ish or finely serrated jaws that can grip the filament without cutting it.

Start a hotend preheat cycle; right around 200 degrees for PLA.  SOME PLA should ooze out the end if you push in on the end of filament with the pliers. This is good.

Turn off the preheat and watch the thermometer. As it drops to 120 or so, get ready with the pliers and squeeze the lever on the extruder with your other hand; hold it so the extruder’s grip on the filament is released.

As the temp drops past 90 degrees, grab the filament with the pliers and pull; you should feel a pop as the filament releases from the inside of the nozzle.

When you pull the filament out, you should see a conical blob at the end like this pic, though hopefully not full of burnt filament.

Now you can easily do all your maintenance and not have to worry about color contamination when you load new filament.  :-+

I know this sounds like a lot of assache, but most of the assache is in the reading; once you get used to doing it, takes no time at all.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 10:17:19 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1259 on: August 11, 2020, 01:27:29 am »
Printing some very small shrouds for 1206 LED. This is for a lighting project for my model RR. Wasn't easy to get these done but I persisted and bent the machine to my will.

:-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1260 on: August 11, 2020, 03:44:00 pm »
Printing some very small shrouds for 1206 LED. This is for a lighting project for my model RR. Wasn't easy to get these done but I persisted and bent the machine to my will.

HO model railroad here.
Are those for headlights?  What do you do if there is more than one headlight?  Multiple LEDs?
It would be nice to see a picture of them being used.
I want to re-light some old locomotives of mine.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1261 on: August 11, 2020, 04:56:37 pm »

mnem
Please excuse the TinkerDwagon; moving has taken its toll and his associations have become rather loose of late...

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1262 on: August 11, 2020, 06:01:59 pm »
HO model railroad here.
Are those for headlights?  What do you do if there is more than one headlight?  Multiple LEDs?
I want to re-light some old locomotives of mine.

Hello Mark,

No, these are to become area lighting on tall posts for an intermodal area I'm working on. I'm N scale so these have to be very small. I'm scratch-building them because there is nothing commercially made that suits my needs, and even if there was it would outrageously priced.

I'm going to have two at the top of each post, aimed into the work area. I'll probably make three or four of these. Might even keep making a few more for another area if they look good. I haven't decided on the final mounting design but I have a good idea to work on involving brass tubing.

I'll post more pics later if this works out.

Failure is not an option.  :-DD

P.S. - Man I'm getting this many times when I try to preview my post -

502 Bad Gateway
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1263 on: August 12, 2020, 12:53:58 am »
The 1206 size LEDs are pretty big for N scale. 
The 0805 size might be a better choice and still hand solderable.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1264 on: August 12, 2020, 01:34:59 am »
The 1206 size LEDs are pretty big for N scale. 
The 0805 size might be a better choice and still hand solderable.

It's actually not that big considering I'm making big area lamps. They have some actual large lamps out by our freeway that they recently replaced with LED lamps and they are pretty large. If you compare the 1206 size to an N scale person they are a pretty realistic size.

In the picture is a 0603 and a 1206 by an N scale person. I took that comparison picture because I was thinking of the same thing you were!  ;)

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1265 on: August 13, 2020, 11:35:48 am »
Pic of a clogged nozzle that was on my SD card. Ended up in the trash I think (the nozzle not the card).

That is all.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1266 on: August 13, 2020, 04:35:06 pm »

mnem
 ::)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1267 on: August 15, 2020, 02:41:33 am »
The power of FDM: Boring Mundane Everyday Print #89...

Here I have a project I dreamed up in my sleep (literally; woke up this AM with the whole project in my head); leveraging Amazon same-day delivery, this is a useful article that went from idea to parts to completed project in less than 12 hours. Could have been 3-4 hours if I'd had some spade connectors on hand. ;)

Picked this bookshelf system up yesterday as curb-score; finished fixing it up, but want to make it iPod-Dock-Ready for my wife to use at her new music teacher job. AUX in is easy enough with just a cheap $4 pigtail; but iPud power can be a bit of a PITA, and the powercube requires an extra outlet that is almost never available. Solution: Install a iPower cube inside the back panel of the stereo.

This needs a bracket; a perfect application for 3DP. Took me ~30 minutes to scrap-sketch the dimensions and whip this out in Fusion.

After that, less than 2 hours hour printing while I did other things and BOOM! Ready for trial-fitting. Needs connectors; shop them over breakfast. Available same-day with a few other things for ~$US20 same-day. Get the cutout laid out and holes drilled; parts delivered at ~6PM.

Wiring was a cinch, and because it's a Apple powercube it plays nice with the iPod, and the iPod plays beautifully. STL is here.

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 03:03:02 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1268 on: August 20, 2020, 03:04:34 pm »
Latest CR6-SE Update:

CReality has finally started shipping orders with add-ons. If they follow previous shipping schemes, mine will literally be in the very last batch they ship, even though I was one of the first to order. People will be able to buy and receive retail before I get mine.  :palm:

If not for the fact I don't actually have an address for them to ship it to yet, I'd be totally pissed. ::)

mnem
"Since I gave up all hope, I'm much better off. I used to be constantly disgusted, now I'm merely amused."

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1269 on: August 23, 2020, 12:21:29 pm »

Since you asked, here's a picture of the finished LED lights (in that pic they had yet to be painted). Also a pic of them in installed on my intermodal area.

Covering the 3D printing topic, you can see some 3D printed 45 ft. Hi Cube containers that I airbrushed with some real-world logos such as MOL, COSCO, "K" Line, and CN. I also made the stencils for the logos on my 3D printer. Some of the other containers are folded paper models.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Zucca, mnementh, HobGoblyn

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1270 on: August 23, 2020, 01:58:51 pm »
I like that the Porsche (I think) is parked so it takes up two spaces for that all-important "safety zone"... :-DD

mnem
How considerate; keeps all the body parts nice & shiny for the guys at the chop shop. >:D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 01:16:27 pm by mnementh »

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1271 on: August 23, 2020, 07:46:09 pm »

Since you asked, here's a picture of the finished LED lights (in that pic they had yet to be painted). Also a pic of them in installed on my intermodal area.

Covering the 3D printing topic, you can see some 3D printed 45 ft. Hi Cube containers that I airbrushed with some real-world logos such as MOL, COSCO, "K" Line, and CN. I also made the stencils for the logos on my 3D printer. Some of the other containers are folded paper models.

Very nice.
Yes, I was wondering if you printed the containers too.  Good job.

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1272 on: August 26, 2020, 10:57:56 am »
Been using original firmware since getting CR10 v2, today I decided to update.

All went well except for one thing.

My Esteps were set to the default 93 after updating.  I did the usual test, marked 120mm  and extruded 100mm.  That left 46mm rather than 20mm.

OK, so I changed the Esteps to 125.7, stored it, powered down and up the printer to check it still has the new Esteps, it has.

Repeated the test, it's still extruding exactly the same amount as when the Esteps was set at 93, still leaving me with exactly 46mm.

Weird.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1273 on: August 26, 2020, 11:08:46 am »
Oh FFS... CReality hasn't even shipped half the KS CR6SE orders, and now they announce they're offering it on "other platforms".  :palm:

Oh... and all of us who ordered "extras"... that they claimed we had to wait because of those extra bits... well our "extras" will be shipped later.  ::) Who knows how much later.  So no reason they couldn't have shipped our 3DP with all the other units.   |O

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1001939425/creality-cr-6-se-leveling-free-diy-3d-printer-kit/posts/2935061

mnem

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1274 on: August 26, 2020, 11:16:20 am »
Oh FFS... CReality hasn't even shipped half the KS CR6SE orders, and now they announce they're offering it on "other platforms".  :palm:

Oh... and all of us who ordered "extras"... that they claimed we had to wait because of those extra bits... well our "extras" will be shipped later.  ::) Who knows how much later.  So no reason they couldn't have shipped our 3DP with all the other units.   |O

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1001939425/creality-cr-6-se-leveling-free-diy-3d-printer-kit/posts/2935061

mnem

I feel for you :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf