Author Topic: 3D Printing Vegemite Electronics on Breadboard  (Read 10950 times)

Offline VintageTekFanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 12:18:54 am by VintageTekFan »
The three laws of thermodynamics:
1. You can't win.
2. You can't even break even.
3. You can't get out of the game.

Offline vtwin@cox.net

• Regular Contributor
Re: 3D Printing Vegemite Electronics on Breadboard
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 09:50:12 pm »
my wife (from brighton, england) eats marmite (uk equivalent). one of the most disgusting food products on the planet, second only to ground sea urchin and rice cakes.
A hollow voice says 'PLUGH'.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 10:03:04 pm »
So, that's where the term breadboard comes from.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 10:39:08 pm »
my wife (from brighton, england) eats marmite (uk equivalent). one of the most disgusting food products on the planet, second only to ground sea urchin and rice cakes.

Well, marmite is an adult taste  >:D

Alternatively, you have lead a sheltered life; consider durian, lutefisk, balut, Coors "beer"....
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 10:47:51 pm »

Well, marmite is an adult taste  >:D

Alternatively, you have lead a sheltered life; consider durian, lutefisk, balut, Coors "beer"....
Durian is so potent, one durian candy being chewed can make an entire bus unbearable. In many Asian hotels they ban durian in the rooms, as the central aircon will spread the stench until half the guests are complaining. Marmite is so much more personal.  :)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 12:14:46 am »
Well this is a random thread we started discussing Vegemite on the TEA thread several hours earlier  :o

The actual paper for the video is here btw https://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.com.au/&httpsredir=1&article=3849&context=aiimpapers
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 12:18:15 am »
Thanks for the direct link, beanflying!

Well this is a random thread we started discussing Vegemite on the TEA thread several hours earlier  :o

The actual paper for the video is here btw https://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.com.au/&httpsredir=1&article=3849&context=aiimpapers
1. You can't win.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 12:24:01 am »
And because I was going to have a slow day sipping on a coffee I am part way into printing this test jig  :-DD

2x2mm trench 100mm long with cutouts for 4 wire clips at the ends to reduce errors. Guess what it is getting filled with.....

Test meters will be either 34401A or my Quadtech Milliohmeter or both.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 12:57:05 am »
That HAS to be a "Must have" for any test bench!   :-+

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 01:39:53 am »
I'm now incredibly curious about this mysterious foreign delicacy.

145g tube is now on it's way... damn you all.
1. You can't win.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 01:52:43 am »
Just a word of warning - for your first taste of Vegemite, start off with a slice of bread or toast that has a reasonable coating of butter (or whatever your spread of choice is) and then apply a thin spread of Vegemite.  It is a strong flavour so don't slap it on like you might do with peanut butter!  (Don't use the example from the little girl at the end of the following video.  She is an experienced user.)

Once you have tried this, then you can better judge the strength to suit your palate.

Here in Oz we get brought up on the stuff:

Edit: Advanced and expert users are able to dig out a spoonful of neat Vegemite and lick it off the spoon - some choosing to suck on it like a Chupa Chup.  If you want to have some fun with friends, offer them a spoonful and tell them this is how Aussies eat it.  Watch their faces on their first taste - and have a video camera running if you can.   >:D       If you do ... please share.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:10:47 am by Brumby »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 02:17:19 am »
In the name of Electrical Engineering and Aussie Pride all that and I don't have a white coat so it can't be 'for science'.

I present a practical experiment to determine the restivity of an Australian Icon VEGEMITE  :-+

Using the test jig shown above and as per the zipped STL file included here. Agilent 34401a and Quadtech 1880 meters using four wire resistance measurements. While not perfectly smooth small voids in the product on non conformity in the jig are minimal compared to the cross sectional area of the product under test.

Meters have been running for over an hour and temperature approximately 25C.

Resistivity = R x Area / Length = R x 0.002x0.002 /0.1 = 4x 10E-5 x R in this case (ohm.M).

Restivity of the PLA jig not measurable with either meter so isn't relevant.

Agilent = 88k +- 1-2k
Quadtech = 95k +- 2k
GW121 = 330k - not used.  EDIT Locked the range and got it down to 210K on 2W

So Resistivity is in the order of 3.6. EDIT seems I initially slipped a decimal  :palm:

I would encourage further testing and peer review of the method and product by all.

So in conclusion we can draw absolutely NOTHING from this test other than we are Happy Little Vegemite's in Oz  :-DD

References : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistivity_and_conductivity
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:31:00 am by beanflying »

The following users thanked this post: tsman

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 03:58:58 am »
So... you do have an electric furnace to dispose of the test subject safely, I hope?    :-DD

mnem
"I say we lift off and nuke the site from orbit... it's the ONLY way to be sure!"
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 04:18:44 am »
I would have eaten it but the PLA isn't exactly food grade when 3D printed  ;)

Just for completeness a fairly rough test (poor connections) 20V across a Red LED at 100 length was reading 1/2mA full span at about 50mm was reading about 0.9mA. Not specified in the 'scientific paper' above was voltage or current with their LED there traces looked a bit larger than my test jig.

As a resistor is has some very large issues with temperature and doesn't like even being tested so very low current applications or slop it on like I do on my toast  ;D

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 04:51:05 am »
16 years ago, someone tested Vegemite as thermal compound:
http://dansdata.com/goop.htm
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 05:20:58 am »
Yeah, been dere, dunnat... used peanut butter because... Vegemite.

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 07:56:21 pm »
Tried Vegemite, but prefer Marmite, and have a liking for Bovril as well. Great on toast, on scrambled eggs, also good with bacon and especially on hard biscuits as flavour.

Does not help that the factory that made the base ingredient, yeast concentrate, used to be 300m away from me, and you could always tell the way the wind was blowing as well. Factory sold the property and moved ( got a good enough offer for it) and it is now an Audi dealership.

However I also like just plain brewers yeast, especially fresh from the drier drum, when it is nicely toasy and fully flavoured, and piping hot from the live steam used to dry the yeast liquor at the brewery. The stuff they sell in tiddly bags as baking yeast does not have that taste, but you can order it in bags as animal feed, used to give cattle and other farm animals a vitamin and mineral boost.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 08:43:45 pm »
I'm now incredibly curious about this mysterious foreign delicacy.

145g tube is now on it's way... damn you all.

Which one?

With marmite, don't even put a complete layer on the carbohydrate of choice. Just have a few traces here and there, say 5% coverage. A little goes a long way.

Vegemite, being diluted and sweetened, can be a little thicker.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 10:02:31 pm »
I am reassured to see that the video author is wearing safety goggles in order to eat his Vegemite.  ;)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 10:16:09 pm »
Which one?

With marmite, don't even put a complete layer on the carbohydrate of choice. Just have a few traces here and there, say 5% coverage. A little goes a long way.

Vegemite, being diluted and sweetened, can be a little thicker.

Being 'scientifically' accurate  - getting the Vegemite.
1. You can't win.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 10:26:47 pm »
Tried Vegemite, but prefer Marmite, and have a liking for Bovril as well. Great on toast, on scrambled eggs, also good with bacon and especially on hard biscuits as flavour.
Try Marmite roast potatoes. A few friends who are Marmite haters have a jar in the cupboard just for this :D

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 12:51:23 am »
Some people swear by mayonnaise as a useful thermal compound in a pinch.

16 years ago, someone tested Vegemite as thermal compound:
http://dansdata.com/goop.htm
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 12:54:13 am »
One of my Grandfathers was from Lincolnshire lets just say some of his diet and culinary habits were interesting. I won't even start on the Offal its cooking methods and consumption :P

Worcestershire Sauce, Marmite & HP Sauce to name a few where they sometimes finished up was  :o

On Sugar I suspect what you are tasting is a more rich full taste as 1.8g Sugar per 100g (no one in their right mind could consume 100g) is 1/2 a tsp of sugar per jar and that difference would be nearly imperceptible.

More Sciencey stuff Marmite wouldn't conduct as well btw due to it's lower salt.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 02:31:36 am »
Some people swear by mayonnaise as a useful thermal compound in a pinch.

I've never tried it but zinc oxide based diaper rash cream is supposed to be okay for short term use.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:16:17 pm by tsman »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 09:25:20 am »
One of my Grandfathers was from Lincolnshire lets just say some of his diet and culinary habits were interesting. I won't even start on the Offal its cooking methods and consumption :P

Tradition has it that every part of a pig is used, except the squeak.

Starygazey pie and black pudding are famous, but muggety pie is less well known.

From one of the best books "Food in England" by Dorothy Hartley "Muggety pie was popular in the West Country, particularly in Gloucestershire and Cornwall, “all jelly soft it was…it was the jelly gravy was the best part – some did put taters and a turnip and sech, but ‘twas best plain, and good cold,” told old farm-hand."

Worcestershire Sauce, Marmite & HP Sauce to name a few where they sometimes finished up was  :o

Worcestershire sauce was famously (re)discovered by accident: "According to company tradition, when the recipe was first mixed there the resulting product was so strong that it was considered inedible and the barrel was abandoned in the basement. Looking to make space in the storage area a few years later, the chemists decided to try it again, and discovered that the long fermented sauce had mellowed and was now palatable."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf