Author Topic: 3D Printing Vegemite Electronics on Breadboard  (Read 10952 times)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: 3D Printing Vegemite Electronics on Breadboard
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2018, 10:36:02 am »
More Sciencey stuff Marmite wouldn't conduct as well btw due to it's lower salt.

But it's not such a big difference, 6g vs 8g or so. Nicely offset by the fact that the suggested serving size of Marmite is larger, resulting in a thicker conductive layer on your toast.  ;)

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2018, 10:56:05 am »
Not sure if you have tried both but think of Vegemite as pickled Herring and Marmite as Swedish style Fermented Herring  :-DD

Smaller doses of Marmite are needed even with Potatoes :P
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2018, 10:58:16 am »
More Sciencey stuff Marmite wouldn't conduct as well btw due to it's lower salt.

But it's not such a big difference, 6g vs 8g or so. Nicely offset by the fact that the suggested serving size of Marmite is larger, resulting in a thicker conductive layer on your toast.  ;)
I think in the current context this would make vegemite the finer geometry, more advanced technology. However, any comparison where vegemite comes out ahead of marmite should be treated with extreme suspicion.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2018, 11:08:06 am »
I'm now incredibly curious about this mysterious foreign delicacy.

145g tube is now on it's way... damn you all.

Which one?

With marmite, don't even put a complete layer on the carbohydrate of choice. Just have a few traces here and there, say 5% coverage. A little goes a long way.

Vegemite, being diluted and sweetened, can be a little thicker.

Pfft, nice, malted wholemeal toast with pools of Marmite and butter, delicious.

I have a jar of Vegemite in the cupboard at home next to the Marmite, it's nowhere near as nice as Marmite but that may be a regional palate thing, I shall persist.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2018, 12:10:44 pm »
I think in the current context this would make vegemite the finer geometry, more advanced technology. However, any comparison where vegemite comes out ahead of marmite should be treated with extreme suspicion.

I'm looking forward to the first multilayer designs.  ;)

Beyond four layers (on three slices of toast) things might get challenging though, especially for human consumption of the prototypes...

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 01:03:51 pm »

I'm looking forward to the first multilayer designs.  ;)

Beyond four layers (on three slices of toast) things might get challenging though, especially for human consumption of the prototypes...
Matzah bread.

Even comes with thru holes for multilayer boards.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2018, 06:34:24 pm »
I wonder if we can we can make capacitors with layers of sliced cheese...?   >:D

mnem
*Starts working on a spreadsheet to determine dielectric constant of American vs Swiss*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2018, 07:26:41 pm »
American cheese is NOT CHEESE, just a yellow cheese substitute.

Marmite is great on Camembert, especially one that is well matured, basically it has to be as runny as the Marmite, then you add just a touch. Marmite is also a great cooking additive, makes for a magic in any savoury sauce, and a nice counterpoint to chilli.

reminds me, must add Marmite to the shopping list, along with some more "Lord Of the Ring" chilli sauce, along with the garlic and ginger Peppadew that I love. Funny enough the garlic and ginger does go down great with plain cocoa, made with pure full fat cocoa powder and hot Jersey milk, as an aperitif on some biltong.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2018, 07:48:45 pm »
I wonder if we can we can make capacitors with layers of sliced cheese...?   >:D

With American rubber cheese you could make them variable, not by rotating but by squashing. The coefficient of restitution might not be good enough, though.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2018, 11:29:14 am »

With American rubber cheese you could make them variable, not by rotating but by squashing. The coefficient of restitution might not be good enough, though.
Cheese flavoured foodstuff please...

You could solve the plasticity issue with Kraft easy cheese, simply 'reinflate' the squashed plates.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2018, 11:36:51 am »
Not 'Cheese' in any real sense of the word :P We do have it here but it gets preceded by plastic fairly often. https://www.raandrade.com/truth-plastic-cheese/

It may be off topic but good cheese is important  :-+

Proper cheese and what sits in my shack for toasties http://www.merseyvalley.com.au/
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 11:39:19 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2018, 02:41:48 pm »
Not 'Cheese' in any real sense of the word :P We do have it here but it gets preceded by plastic fairly often. https://www.raandrade.com/truth-plastic-cheese/

It may be off topic but good cheese is important  :-+

Proper cheese and what sits in my shack for toasties http://www.merseyvalley.com.au/

Good cheese is important, and we make the best selection of hard cheese in the world.

None of it is covered by plastic. Canvas and mould only, with waxed paper for wedges cut from a truckle and bought home. And it should be crumbly, not bendy, not spreadable. (Exception: a Stilton).

OTOH, there are some very good soft cheeses from the Alps. You know they are ripe and worth eating when they drain slowly between the tines of a fork.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2018, 03:24:16 pm »
None of it is covered by plastic. Canvas and mould only, with waxed paper for wedges cut from a truckle and bought home. And it should be crumbly, not bendy, not spreadable. (Exception: a Stilton).

OTOH, there are some very good soft cheeses from the Alps. You know they are ripe and worth eating when they drain slowly between the tines of a fork.

Oof, you're discarding the excellent Cornish Bries?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2018, 04:21:12 pm »

Never been a great fan of brie: too much like semi-solid cream. I prefer something which is mouldy, e.g. gorgonzola. [1]

Mind you, Cornwall does produce the best supermarket plastic-wrapped cheddar: Davidstowe.

[1] Talking of which, Asda currently has a 7kg £35 pigs leg of serrano ham which can be hung in cool-ish places for a long time. The instructions include "if it goes mouldy, cut off the mould". I have some hanging up from last year :) One of the better ways to do brexit prepping; no I'm not going discuss brexit here.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2018, 06:41:45 pm »
I think discarding is the appropriate course of action for Cornish Brie... and the Somerset ones. Its sad that people in Somerset can't make a decent Brie, when its the origin of the world's most popular cheese.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2018, 06:24:10 am »
Sorry - but you've been asking for this:

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2018, 09:05:29 am »
I think discarding is the appropriate course of action for Cornish Brie... and the Somerset ones. Its sad that people in Somerset can't make a decent Brie, when its the origin of the world's most popular cheese.

Wow, I've had excellent Cornish Brie, better than ones brought back from the continent, what would you recommend then?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2018, 04:00:35 am »
Whuf... I had no idea what a muenster I was creating with that offhand comment!  ;)  *Ducks soggy ol' boot thrown from bean's direction*

That said... there IS such a thing as American Cheese that is actual cheese. I'm not talking about the long-chain polymer crap from Kraft called "American Pasteurized Process Cheese Food" that is clearly made in the process of injecting it into the heinous single "slice" packaging it all comes in. I'm talking a real cheese made from curd and compressed until it turns solid, and then sliced like any other fromage. Now it's true that it's not MUCH of a cheese... something halfway between a proper Colby and an extra mild Cheddar... but it IS real cheese.

Like the "Wonder white bread" people who favor it, it has a very mild flavor, and certainly doesn't stress the taste buds too much. But considering that we have Mediterranean cheeses which can supposedly trace their original culturings through continuous generational cultivation back to the age of Caesar Augustus, what can you expect from a people whose entire nation is but a few dozen generations old?

Maybe when we grow up, we'll have a taste for some of the more exotic breeds. ;)

mnem
*Insert favorite 'Colonies' joke here*
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 08:31:50 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2018, 04:10:06 am »
Even that sort of American Cheese doesn't stack up with Wensleydale (warning may not translate well to the USA)  :-DD

https://youtu.be/hHnEy_bhDDk

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2018, 04:11:26 am »
I see.  So the tea got tossed overboard, but the cheese never made it - and no cheesemakers cared for the trip.  So the cheese wheel was reinvented.

OK.  Got it.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2018, 04:14:24 am »
But the Cheesemakers are blessed  :-DD

https://youtu.be/-xLUEMj6cwA

Offline VintageTekFanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2018, 06:51:29 pm »
Vegemite came in Friday - got to try it on toast yesterday morning...

You Aussies seem to be on to something :-+...
The three laws of thermodynamics:
1. You can't win.
2. You can't even break even.
3. You can't get out of the game.

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2018, 08:29:50 pm »
Even that sort of American Cheese doesn't stack up with Wensleydale (warning may not translate well to the USA)  :-DD

[Wallace & Gromit Video]
As I said... it's not much of a cheese.  :palm: But we DO have crackers down... "Full-sodium" RITZ and Keebler Townhouse beat your skeevy Captain's Wafers all hollow and inside-out. Even our Nabisco Saltines are better.  :o

mnem
And don't even get me started on what you wankers call biscuits...  ::)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2018, 04:32:03 am »
Vegemite came in Friday - got to try it on toast yesterday morning...

You Aussies seem to be on to something :-+...

Couldn't agree more.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2018, 04:56:15 am »

[Wallace & Gromit Video]
As I said... it's not much of a cheese.  :palm: But we DO have crackers down... "Full-sodium" RITZ and Keebler Townhouse beat your skeevy Captain's Wafers all hollow and inside-out. Even our Nabisco Saltines are better.  :o

mnem
And don't even get me started on what you wankers call biscuits...  ::)

Us Australians have Ritz plus others from the US and the pommie ones (thin captains SUCK  :P ) but we tend to prefer the Arnotts Savoy, Jatz or the Salada (shame they are currently owned by you Yanks ;) )

These options would have potential for double sided production as they come with vero holes as standard. Conductivity of the Savoy due to salt may cause issues depending on the application.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf