Author Topic: Kilogram reference  (Read 4113 times)

Offline WartexTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://headsplosive.com
Kilogram reference
« on: February 26, 2012, 05:56:08 am »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Kilogram reference
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 07:10:39 am »
And?

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 12:51:58 pm »
Actually I think that reference will be soon be (or maybe already is) obsolete.

Scientists are working on polishing a near perfect sphere out of pure silicon. The idea is to count the number of atoms in the sphere and thus compute the exact weight from that.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/making-an-exact-difference/2007/06/14/1181414466901.html

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 02:14:47 pm »
Yes, soon, due to chronic instabilities:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilogram
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 05:01:05 pm »
You mean my 1g calibration masspiece is no longer valid? 1.00000g on last certification against a national standard. I almost never use it, rather the 100g in the same box, or the 20, 10 and 5kg masspieces. Nice having a standards lab nearby, they have a lovely display of old standards and comparators in the foyer. Interesting to look into the metrology lab as well.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 09:45:53 pm »
And?
Would be more interesting in the form of sausages!

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 12:51:43 am »
A common problem is every time its taken out of its protective case, the metal absorbs some water vapor or dirt, increasing its weight.  So the cleaning has to standardized and effective, to maintain its tolerances.  A bigger problem is if the cleaning removes small amounts of the metal, and also reduces its weight.

The importance of this trivial issue is that the standard is a kg, not a mg or ug, so small variations may influence the smaller values quiet largely.

You mean my 1g calibration masspiece is no longer valid? 1.00000g on last certification against a national standard. I almost never use it, rather the 100g in the same box, or the 20, 10 and 5kg masspieces. Nice having a standards lab nearby, they have a lovely display of old standards and comparators in the foyer. Interesting to look into the metrology lab as well.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 05:48:13 pm »
I think the errors divide and multiply to scale with the measurand. Only problem is the other reference masses are gaining with respect to the reference, so they are looking to do a final change to reference to a physical constant. That will allow reproduction of the standard mass anywhere, and will mean a large sale of polished Si balls that are flat down to the atomic level, and whose mass is known down to the atom.

No effect on the gross scale, just a thing to do if you are measuring at the limits of resolution. At least now you will have the Whole SI measurement system in a form that can be reproduced without any other than physical properties of matter and physical constants.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf