Author Topic: Shirt ideas  (Read 1861 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline bulldoghot12Topic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 11
  • Country: us
    • CircuitSwag
Shirt ideas
« on: February 06, 2026, 08:41:54 pm »
I'm Al and I'm new. I was a technician for a decade before becoming an engineer. I have always worn techy/nerdy shirts but now I have to wear collared shirts to work. I have yet to find any good techy/nerdy polos or button down shirts. Then I decided to make my own. I'm looking for ideas on what would look good on a polo or button down collard shirt and still be techy. So far I only have a few schematic symbols (ground and a 555 IC), Maxwells equations, Smith Chart, and a NASA Golden Record.
If you have any ideas please let me know.
 

Offline abeyer

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 943
  • Country: us
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2026, 10:41:37 pm »
I used to have an Initech "brand" polo shirt I'd wear when there were egregiously bullshit meetings called.
 
The following users thanked this post: Halcyon, 5U4GB, bulldoghot12

Online eutectique

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 634
  • Country: be
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2026, 11:59:47 pm »
A techy/nerdy polo should manifest your creativity and non-standard thinking.
 

Offline 5U4GB

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1747
  • Country: au
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2026, 09:35:54 am »
I used to have an Initech "brand" polo shirt I'd wear when there were egregiously bullshit meetings called.

Etsy have a whole line of 1990s computer logo shirts, I'd wear those as a way to be simultaneously confirming but nonconforming.  What could be more trendy than a Netscape Navigator or Windows 95 shirt?

Come to think of it I have a pile of those shirts in the cupboard, actually from the 1990s.
 

Online mendip_discovery

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1163
  • Country: gb
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2026, 10:07:01 am »
Buy a shirt with a picture/logo of one of the following: IanJ, MarcoReps, or that loud Australian chap, on a shirt and see if anyone keeps their distance, as they will also be a fellow TEA/ppm person. Remember, though, if someone comes up to you and tries to talk to you, then run away, as they are trendy fad followers or socially adjusted, neither are any good if you want to make it to ppm heaven on the day of calibration[1].


[1] 8.5 digits of the apocalypse etc.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.
 

Online SiliconWizard

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17795
  • Country: fr
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2026, 07:20:07 pm »
You know you are on the path to career success when you finally have to wear collared shirts.
 
The following users thanked this post: bulldoghot12

Offline Benta

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7176
  • Country: de
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2026, 07:30:36 pm »
So far I only have a few schematic symbols (ground and a 555 IC), Maxwells equations, Smith Chart, and a NASA Golden Record.
If you have any ideas please let me know.

All those place you squarely in the 1980s. Are you sure that's what your image should be? An old geezer?
 

Online negativ3

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 572
  • Country: th
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2026, 07:40:41 pm »
I've seen some cool designs if embroidered discreetly of greek alphabet and periodic table stuff.
 

Offline floobydust

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9063
  • Country: ca
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2026, 09:13:45 pm »
I have many ideas, there is a huge lack of EE bling out there.
I've been just getting t-shirt/graphics printshops to make ones that I personally like, for myself. Old legendary logos and schematics kind of thing. It's easier now with direct printing tech.

OP are you trying to make money with tech t-shirts?

Old story - Hackaday used to sell t-shirts with their logo, back in the day when the site was independent and better.
One time the better looking (gold logo) women's t-shirts were on sale 50% off, but the men's tees were not. I complained to the boss about the sexism lol.
Next time, they'd sold out of all popular sizes and 6 months later still no stock had come in. I complained to the boss- how hard is it to order f*in' t-shirts and stock a few? So it never happened and I consider shirt management above the exec's capabilities lol.

The best shirt people reacted to, is one from my first year engineering at university. It's mostly the math equations and a bit of wisdom "you can't push on a rope" etc. I still have the shirt.
It meant not much to me (content) but the masses are terrified of math it seems and people were shocked at all the symbols we routinely deal with. I think the shirt was not allowed for engineering exams unless a formula sheet was OK for that. It did come in handy.
 

Offline The Soulman

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1106
  • Country: nl
  • The sky is the limit!
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2026, 09:20:58 pm »
You know you are on the path to career success when you finally have to wear collared shirts.
Yes, it appears to be a necessarily evil.
 

Offline The Soulman

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1106
  • Country: nl
  • The sky is the limit!
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2026, 09:22:04 pm »
So far I only have a few schematic symbols (ground and a 555 IC), Maxwells equations, Smith Chart, and a NASA Golden Record.
If you have any ideas please let me know.

All those place you squarely in the 1980s. Are you sure that's what your image should be? An old geezer?
Get off our lawn ya yup!  ;)
 

Online Grandchuck

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1241
  • Country: us
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2026, 09:37:21 pm »
No collar :--
 
The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso

Offline floobydust

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9063
  • Country: ca
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2026, 10:01:59 pm »
Dress shirts would be fine, higher end. Where else can I put my pocket-protector  ;)


555 timer, it's actually a 1972 design. I've got Dave's 555 timer t-shirt and love it  :-+
Am I a grumpy old geezer? Pushin' that... but 99.05% of the population has no idea what the image is. That's what makes it fun.
 

Offline 5U4GB

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1747
  • Country: au
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2026, 05:29:06 am »
You know you are on the path to career success when you finally have to wear collared shirts.

And you've arrived when you bring a fish in to work and gut it on your desk.  "Now we had a chance to meet this young man, and boy that's just a straight shooter with upper management written all over him".
 

Offline bulldoghot12Topic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 11
  • Country: us
    • CircuitSwag
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2026, 05:27:11 pm »
I used to have an Initech "brand" polo shirt I'd wear when there were egregiously bullshit meetings called.
Office Space is really a top 10 movie in my book. I instantly wanted to add a Initech mug to my store but after googling it I found its sold everywhere. I still love the reference, thanks.
 

Offline bulldoghot12Topic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 11
  • Country: us
    • CircuitSwag
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2026, 05:33:20 pm »
Make money, yes and no. This all started to just make techy/nerdy polo shirts to wear to work. If I was going to design some fun shirts what did other people think? I handed out 30+ surveys at work and all but one said it was a great idea and they would buy it. I thought great, I'll make a website and sell them. After a month I only got one sale from one co-worker. I spent around $400 on my own shirts though. So far it is just for me but I do think others out there would like them. Just not many others I guess.
If you want to check out my designs go to my website CircuitSwag dot com.
I'm afraid if I past a link then I'll get kicked out of the forum for shilling.
Thanks.
 

Offline Benta

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7176
  • Country: de
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2026, 07:30:18 pm »
So far I only have a few schematic symbols (ground and a 555 IC), Maxwells equations, Smith Chart, and a NASA Golden Record.
If you have any ideas please let me know.

All those place you squarely in the 1980s. Are you sure that's what your image should be? An old geezer?
Get off our lawn ya yup!  ;)

A yup at 66? I wish.
 
The following users thanked this post: The Soulman

Offline 5U4GB

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1747
  • Country: au
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2026, 05:35:57 am »
If you want to check out my designs go to my website CircuitSwag dot com.

Cool stuff, but some feedback: Those popups are really annoying.
 

Offline bulldoghot12Topic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 11
  • Country: us
    • CircuitSwag
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2026, 01:27:26 pm »
Sorry. I made changes and I hope that's fixed. I have wondered how annoying it was but you are the first to give me that feedback. Thanks.
 
The following users thanked this post: 5U4GB

Offline bulldoghot12Topic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 11
  • Country: us
    • CircuitSwag
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2026, 03:20:13 pm »
Any new ideas are welcome. I only started making shirt designs since December and I haven't figured out many good ones yet.
 

Offline Randy222

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1807
  • Country: ca
Re: Shirt ideas
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2026, 09:26:56 pm »
A high voltage one would be cool, and when you touch it you get a 20kv static zap.
 
The following users thanked this post: bulldoghot12


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->