Author Topic: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock.  (Read 178192 times)

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
Re: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock.
« Reply #650 on: September 22, 2015, 12:17:34 am »
question: if the kid's (and/or his father's) intention was to scare people, was this 'not a bomb' the BEST they could have done?

honestly answer that.  if the effect was to make people scared, this pencil-box thing comes in pretty short on that account.  no outside hanging wires, no see-thru case for extra scary effect.  nothing really stacked inside to make you wonder what its function does.  nothing obscurred or anything to give even the most junior tech reason for pause.

a common phrase in english is 'does it pass the smell test'.  does this?  does it really seem that the goal was to scare people with this 'not a bomb' device?

I just don't see it.  they could have had a much scarier thing built (even if they sub-contracted it out!) if 'terror' was their goal.

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #651 on: September 22, 2015, 12:22:15 am »
If circumstances require any family members to relocate to a more enlightened or "progressive" area, the boy's uncle owns a trucking.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to the name of the trucking company?

"Twin Towers Trucking"

Oh Come on!!!
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #652 on: September 22, 2015, 12:23:06 am »
At this point I am highly concerned about the damage done to this child.
Absolutely. It's on record that his islam obsessed father is sending him for "education" abroad. I don't think that any amount of internet discussion will have any bearing on a predetermined course of events the patriarchial fundamentalist islamist father gets to do with his chattel.

But we have all been taken for a ride, i'm sure of that.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #653 on: September 22, 2015, 12:25:05 am »
So tell me;
How do you sort facts from propaganda?

The secret is taking proper time before making a strong judgement. It's the internet, one can find arguments to support or not support near anything. Facts take time to come to light.

I do agree with the adage that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence supplied by the claimant.

Some facts never see the light of day one must then depend on recognizable patterns.
The kid's old man was a part of CAIR,
There has been what some call Islamophobia running repent in this country.
After listening to the kid talk, I am not convinced he is that technically with it.
As someone else mentioned in the countlesws pages of this thread; schools are very picky about what you bring to school, since every public school is federally funded in the US DHS and DE have issued guidelines to school administrators on what should or shouldn't be allowed.

Is this a distraction?
Sure just like the birth certificate issue was, as to what we are distracted from there are plenty of possible candidates, take your pick. Not the least of which is the proxy war in Syria between the US (supporting the rebels) and Russians supporting the Syrian government. 
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #654 on: September 22, 2015, 12:25:59 am »
question: if the kid's (and/or his father's) intention was to scare people, was this 'not a bomb' the BEST they could have done?

honestly answer that.  if the effect was to make people scared, this pencil-box thing comes in pretty short on that account.  no outside hanging wires, no see-thru case for extra scary effect.  nothing really stacked inside to make you wonder what its function does.  nothing obscurred or anything to give even the most junior tech reason for pause.

a common phrase in english is 'does it pass the smell test'.  does this?  does it really seem that the goal was to scare people with this 'not a bomb' device?

I just don't see it.  they could have had a much scarier thing built (even if they sub-contracted it out!) if 'terror' was their goal.
By all accounts wires were hanging out (to close it apparently). But it wasn't designed to be a real bomb hoax, but to expose the zero tolerance rules and then use them as an opportunity for islamofaux racism.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #655 on: September 22, 2015, 12:27:17 am »
"jihadwatch" sounds like an unbiased and credible source ::) Even if any of that conspiracy stuff is real, it's just all the more reason to criticize the school for their stupid reaction. At least the White House has some sense, I wonder if it's enough to contain the damage. Hopefully the kid will realize that most grownups aren't morons.

I haven't even alleged a conspiracy. I simply pointed out the kids fathers religious/political activities and associations. If you can't figure out why they might be relevant in the apparently over-zealous reaction of the school and the police to certain "zero-tolerance" polices then that is your problem.

And it's not an isolated incident. The increasing fear of technology is a long term trend and it has taken a downright ridiculous turn this millennium.

LOL, yeah I guess that is why everyone addicted to their stupid ipads, smart phones and computers these days. It's almost going back to the middle ages!

And I've read nothing at all to suggest that anyone (the school authorities/police) were at any time scared of Ahmed's clock or actually believed it to be a bomb. Stop regurgitating that stupid accusation like a million other morons on the internet.
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #656 on: September 22, 2015, 12:27:51 am »

By all accounts wires were hanging out (to close it apparently). But it wasn't designed to be a real bomb hoax, but to expose the zero tolerance rules and then use them as an opportunity for islamofaux racism.
Correct, however the effect is the same; the distraction is effective.

If he wanted to make it look like a real bomb, gray modeling clay would be a start.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #657 on: September 22, 2015, 12:30:18 am »
"jihadwatch" sounds like an unbiased and credible source ::) Even if any of that conspiracy stuff is real, it's just all the more reason to criticize the school for their stupid reaction. At least the White House has some sense, I wonder if it's enough to contain the damage. Hopefully the kid will realize that most grownups aren't morons.

I haven't even alleged a conspiracy. I simply pointed out the kids fathers religious/political activities and associations. If you can't figure out why they might be relevant in the apparently over-zealous reaction of the school and the police to certain "zero-tolerance" polices then that is your problem.

And it's not an isolated incident. The increasing fear of technology is a long term trend and it has taken a downright ridiculous turn this millennium.

LOL, yeah I guess that is why everyone addicted to their stupid ipads, smart phones and computers these days. It's almost going back to the middle ages!

And I've read nothing at all to suggest that anyone (the school authorities/police) were at any time scared of Ahmed's clock or actually believed it to be a bomb. Stop regurgitating that stupid accusation like a million other morons on the internet.
Hell who needs an iPhone I have an HT and a spare battery, and 37MHZ of spectrum space in the palm of my hand. :D
Sue AF6LJ

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #658 on: September 22, 2015, 12:32:43 am »
Absolutely. It's on record that his islam obsessed father is sending him for "education" abroad. I don't think that any amount of internet discussion will have any bearing on a predetermined course of events the patriarchial fundamentalist islamist father gets to do with his chattel.

But we have all been taken for a ride, i'm sure of that.

What does "islam obsessed" mean and is it any worse than "christianity obsessed"?

Any real  evidence that his father is a "patriarchal fundamentalist islamist" ?

What is wrong with being a member of the Council on American-Islamist Relations?

From an article posted by a poster earlier in this thread  Note this is from the North Dallas newspaper:

Mohamed’s journey in America has taken him from selling hot dogs on the street corners of New York City to driving cabs in Dallas before he went on to own a cab company. The company grew to 200 drivers in the ranks before he sold Jet Taxi to Yellow Cab.

His childhood in the African village was filled with hardships and struggles, but Mohamed aspired for more and gained his degree from Cairo University in Khartoum in philosophy.

Education has it’s benefits, but it is not a magic bullet to solve all problems, Mohamed shared, “My struggle did not decrease, but my ambition increased. I worked at Khartoum International airport as an employee of assistance clearance customs until I became the director of clearance customs, and the president of workers. Once I realized my dream was bigger than what Sudan had to offer I immigrated to America in the mid-1980’s.”

Unfortunately his degree was not accepted in America so he found himself selling hot dogs, candy, and newspapers in Manhattan.

“I realized this wasn’t enough for me, and I packed my bag and moved to Dallas, Texas y’all,” Mohamed shared.

He started out as a pizza delivery man before he became a taxi driver. But while he was working he was also pursuing his education in America at Spring Creek Community College in Plano.

“I  excelled in the transportation and communication businesses which helped me as an entrepreneur.”

In addition to Jet Taxi, Mohamed  created two companies, one in America called Paradise Prime Investment, and one in Sudan called AlSufi International for solar energy. He serves as president of the AlSufi Center in Irving.

Also, Mohamed still takes time to help others in his adopted homeland, serving as a mentor at Jack E. Singely Academy High school in Irving.

But his love for his native land has led him to stay involved. He serves as the vice president of the National Reform Party in Sudan and was nominated for President in 2010 and 2015.

From that, it sounds like he has been an ideal immigrant, pursuing the "American Dream" and who just happens to be a Muslim.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #659 on: September 22, 2015, 12:41:08 am »
What is wrong with being a member of the Council on American-Islamist Relations?

:palm:
That's like asking "what is wrong with being a member of the KKK".

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #660 on: September 22, 2015, 12:42:20 am »

I'm stunned at the amount of technical people reposting that analysis blog post and the new videos showing it's an off-the-shelf clock, as if it's the greatest discovery ever and blows the whole story right out of the water. A-HA! Gotcha!
Any electronics person who glanced at that picture and didn't immediately recognise it used off-the-shelf clock parts should be embarrassed.
The media for doing the stories about this genius kid, well, they are just reporters looking for sensational story, so no surprises there.
In the end though the media have done him both a service and disservice. He's got the publicity which is huge positive, but now he's got everyone turning on him saying he's a fraud etc. I hope he can pull through it all and keeps up the hobby.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #661 on: September 22, 2015, 12:56:26 am »

It was a serious question as I really know nothing about the CAIC other than their websites info, non- threatening  mention of their opinion in various newspaper articles and the usuall political propaganda sites that show up in a google search.

Do you have any actual factual information that makes your comparison the the KKK valid?  Seriously.

Add: A perusal of the Wikipedia article about them reveals nothing of the sort but does mention several unsubstantiated accusations from the usual biased politicians.  Looks to me like they are no better or worse than other typical political and special interest lobbying groups - with the predictable accusations thrown around by those who oppose their agenda.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:04:45 am by mtdoc »

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #662 on: September 22, 2015, 01:00:49 am »

It was a serious question as I really know nothing about the CAIC other than their websites info, non- threatening  mention of their opinion in various newspaper articles and the usuall political propaganda sites that show up in a google search.

Do you have any actual factual information that makes your comparison the the KKK valid?  Seriously.
You might actually find some real solid information in those political sites if you dig a little.
The last place you would find anything negative about CAIR would be their website.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #663 on: September 22, 2015, 01:02:54 am »

Add: A perusal of the Wikipedia article about them reveals nothing of the sort but does mention several unsubstantiated accusations from the usual biased politicians.

I guess that I have to post this link for a third time then:

http://www.meforum.org/916/cair-islamists-fooling-the-establishment

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #664 on: September 22, 2015, 01:08:51 am »

The meforum? Per Wikipedia:

The Middle East Forum (MEF) is a American conservative[1] think tank founded in 1990 by Daniel Pipes
  Not exactly a source of unbiased information.   A little research on Daniel Pipes shows he is an extremist himself. Per Wikepedia:
n The Nation, Brooklyn writer Kristine McNeil describes Pipes as an "anti-Arab propagandist" who has built a career out of "distortions... twist[ing] words, quot[ing] people out of context and stretch[ing] the truth to suit his purpose".[18] James Zogby argues that Pipes possesses an "obsessive hatred of all things Muslim", and that "Pipes is to Muslims what David Duke is to African-Americans".[40] Christopher Hitchens, a fellow supporter of the Iraq War and critic of political Islam, also criticized Pipes, arguing that Pipes pursued an intolerant agenda, and was one who "confuses scholarship with propaganda", and "pursues petty vendettas with scant regard for objectivity".

Bottom line - it looks to me that all this nonsense is just a rehashing of the same old Arab-Israeli hatreds and agendas and nothing to do with the issues raised by the arrest of Ahmed.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:15:50 am by mtdoc »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #665 on: September 22, 2015, 01:12:31 am »
And your question is not meant to solicit information - only to create conflict.

Still dodging the question while throwing false accusations.

FWIW - I have already stated that IMO it is not racism but islamophobia that is the issue here. 

Islamophobia is racism.

Do you deny that Islamophobia is an issue in our society?

Of course, almost every group has its haters.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #666 on: September 22, 2015, 01:14:13 am »

The meforum? Per Wikipedia
The Middle East Forum (MEF) is a American conservative[1] think tank founded in 1990 by Daniel Pipes
  Not exactly a source of unbiased information.

A completely predictable response. You haven't even read the material and probably won't. It is a comprehensive summary of CAIRs odious activities and it is comprehensively referenced.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:17:03 am by GK »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #668 on: September 22, 2015, 01:16:27 am »
Just a heads up that if this turns into an islam/religion/CAIR thread then it risks being locked.
There is a 14yo kid to talk about you know.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #669 on: September 22, 2015, 01:18:01 am »
Quote from: EEVblog
There is a 14yo kid to talk about you know.

What more needs to be regurgitated after 46 pages?
 ::)

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #670 on: September 22, 2015, 01:18:29 am »

Islamophobia is racism.

Islam is not a race.

As for the rest of your post - just the same old troll tactics.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #671 on: September 22, 2015, 01:21:30 am »

I'll see your quote and up the anty:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East_Forum

"conservative think tank"

as the kids, today, say:

sorry, but posting info from a conservative 'think tank' (lol!) is not going to convince anyone who takes even 5 minutes to check the site out and see THEIR agenda.

"The Forum's actions include combatting lawful Islamism, protecting the freedom of public speech of anti-Islamist authors, activists, and publishers, and working to improve Middle East studies in North America."

sounds like a hate-group, to me.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #672 on: September 22, 2015, 01:26:31 am »

Ok, so I can shut it down now?

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #673 on: September 22, 2015, 01:28:49 am »

Please, if you wish.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #674 on: September 22, 2015, 01:45:16 am »

Please

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf