Author Topic: AliExpress Issues - Orange Pi  (Read 13679 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: AliExpress Issues - Orange Pi
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 11:59:25 am »
Yeah, the gtx 1050, 1070 and 1080 look amazing, better performance than the titan x and half the cost, it's insane. Makes me wish I had a proper desktop all the same.

Jesus H. Christ, 10Ghz
http://videocardz.com/59558/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-3dmark-benchmarks
EDIT: Ah, that's only the "Effective Memory Clock"

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 12:04:58 pm »
Yeah, the gtx 1050, 1070 and 1080 look amazing, better performance than the titan x and half the cost, it's insane. Makes me wish I had a proper desktop all the same.

Jesus H. Christ, 10Ghz
http://videocardz.com/59558/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-3dmark-benchmarks
EDIT: Ah, that's only the "Effective Memory Clock"

Yeah, but they are still insanely powerful, and at that price point, nvidia is going to dominate the market even more.

A 10ghz core would be just plain stupid though XD May as well make an OS designed to run off the gpu if it gets to that point.

Offline v81

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 01:54:21 pm »
I know these Orange Pi's cost bugger all but wouldn't their very little work output actually make them terribly inefficient?

I don't know, that's why I want to test it and get some actual data.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to use a GPU instead at least work done per Wh of power used.

I'll let you know when I have the numbers.

There will be a few cheap secondhand nvidia cards in the next 2-3 months with 100's of times more power than a couple of Pi's

You can probably run 50 Pi's with 200 cores for the power consumption of one video card.
Which cards are you referring too? And why will they cheap in a couple of months?

I guess what i was trying to gently say is that unless SETI have some magic voodoo it is common knowledge among the distributed computing community that what you're trying to do is stupid and incredibly inefficient.

Using pi's or similar is a great way to get a feel for setting up and running a cluster, if this is what you intended, stick with it.

If you want practical and efficient results us a GPU, i'm a little out of date re SETI and several gen old video cards, so the other forume members can correct me, but i suspect an nvidia GTX780 might be a good starting point around $100

People have done is because they can and that's about it.

As mentioned above the nvidia Pascal cards were announced a few days ago with a global release on the GTX1080 in the last week of this month.
As also mentioned all those whom are super keen will drop their previous gen cards.

Offline v81

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 02:07:20 pm »
I've run SET@home on my dual processor Xeon with grunty Radeon R9 card, and also my 3770K with another decent GPU.
Yes is chews through the work, but the GPU only shows up as one processor out of the 8 or whatever working on one task. It is faster than the other GPU tasks, but not orders of magnitude.

The work units give to a GPU are packaged differently to those given to a CPU, also each processor is structured differently.
Also the GPU does not reveal each of its internal parallel units like the cores in an individual CPU package.

What you should be finding is that the R9 card (assuming it is something middle of the range or better) will be drawing the same or less power than the pair of Xeons and comfortably crunching the GPU specific.

Please forgive the rushed nature of these posts and lack of links to supporting data as i need to head to the airport.
I love SETI and F@H but my previous research says dont run it on a CPU, too inefficient.
I too love the raspery Pi, and the excellent cousins of it that have popped up, have previously read articls re dist computing on them, can be done, not efficient, pity i don't have a link i can throw.
Checkout the distributed computing forum on overclockers.com.au for more info, or simply post a thread there asking how to get the best bang/$ for SETI

Also on the side, by chance is the Xeon a dual socket 2011 machine?
Facebook recently let go of some server gear and there are Xeon E5-2670's going on ebay for ~ $100 each.
8 physical cores per CPU + hyperthreading and 20MB of cache
Could be a cheap upgrade if your board is compatible?

Gotta run, will read with interest in a day or so.

Offline v81

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 03:41:23 am »
Got back home faster than i thought!

Looks like you're all set with the SETI forum Dave, i've had a quick look but am yet to find solid and current data.
I've still no doubt GPU is the go, but lack the memory and data to re-explain it, i hope the SETI guys can fill in the gaps.

You've re-sparked my interest and thus i'm now running SETI again on my GPU only.

Here is some info I've crossed re getting SETI up and running on the Orange Pi....
http://www.orangepi.org/orangepibbsen/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=213
http://omahs.tumblr.com/post/135658720534/probably-cheapest-cluster-in-the-world-currently
http://znoxx.me/2015/12/12/obzor_orange_pi_pc/

Here is my setup, fired it up an hour or 2 ago..
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/results.php?hostid=7999812
I have yet to configure it to run GPU only, but will do soon.
Will be cranking up the pair of 8 core Xeons for a few days out of curiosity, might make a nice heater for the man cave.

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2016, 03:45:14 am »
Got back home faster than i thought!

Looks like you're all set with the SETI forum Dave, i've had a quick look but am yet to find solid and current data.
I've still no doubt GPU is the go, but lack the memory and data to re-explain it, i hope the SETI guys can fill in the gaps.

You've re-sparked my interest and thus i'm now running SETI again on my GPU only.

Here is some info I've crossed re getting SETI up and running on the Orange Pi....
http://www.orangepi.org/orangepibbsen/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=213
http://omahs.tumblr.com/post/135658720534/probably-cheapest-cluster-in-the-world-currently
http://znoxx.me/2015/12/12/obzor_orange_pi_pc/

Here is my setup, fired it up an hour or 2 ago..
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/results.php?hostid=7999812
I have yet to configure it to run GPU only, but will do soon.
Will be cranking up the pair of 8 core Xeons for a few days out of curiosity, might make a nice heater for the man cave.

Yeah, dual xeons definitely heat up rooms pretty well, my dl380 g6 has two x5570's and the air coming out the back end is 53 degrees, it heats up a fairly large area quite well.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2016, 05:35:18 am »
Set up and Alipay account and added my credit card. Same fail again, for the 3rd time.  :palm:

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2016, 05:53:47 am »
Set up and Alipay account and added my credit card. Same fail again, for the 3rd time.  :palm:
I can't help with your card, but I have used the Australia Post Load&Go travel debit card. It lets you store money in A$, US$, NZ$, Euros and British Pounds, so you can play the exchange rates a bit when buying from overseas. Handy when you want to lock in a price when the Aussie dollar is falling and transactions show up immediately on the website for the card. I have used it in the past with Aliexpress without any problem.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2016, 05:59:27 am »
I've never used Alipay on Aliexpress, just the Escrow payment service available when you check out.
After the royal f*** up with PayPal a couple of years back I'm very reluctant to have my card details saved by a 3rd party.  :--
After purchase you can select your card from a list, enter card details and authorise the payment/s if you've bought multiple goodies.

VISA works fine.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2016, 06:04:42 am »
VISA works fine.
I've tried VISA and mastercard, both declined.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2016, 06:12:40 am »
Did you call your bank? What do they say, do they see anything on their side?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2016, 06:15:12 am »
VISA works fine.
I've tried VISA and mastercard, both declined.
Have you tried to buy from a different IP address in case there is some kind of credit card IP blacklist? The other thing is if you are on Telstra, they are having big overseas DNS issues, and perhaps it can somehow interfere with a credit card payment.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2016, 06:29:17 am »
Do not waste your time and call your  bank first. It is your bank who authorises card transactions.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2016, 06:51:37 am »
Sounds like they need to change their name.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2016, 07:01:43 am »
Apparently, IP address is one of the reasons for declining a credit card. It can either be because the IP address is on a fraud list or sometimes they check if the IP address matches the country. If you are using a VPN to connect to the Internet, that can definitely cause this problem. With the shortage of IPV4 addresses in Australia, perhaps some hosts are getting overseas IPs.

Offline bitslice

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2016, 01:15:56 pm »
Setup is faster and easier too.
How do you go about running a program on a GPU?

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2016, 01:42:23 pm »
How do you go about running a program on a GPU?
Search for "CUDA" as the main keyword to get you started. Lots of options, but all are targeted at programmers, not end-users. (This isn't a "run an arbitrary program on the GPU" situation, but rather "if you have an algorithm that can run efficiently on the GPU, here's the library to allow you to do so".)

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2016, 01:45:42 pm »
The last attempt through AliPay must have got cleared somehow, boards are now on the truck  :-+

Offline Neverther

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2016, 05:39:16 pm »
You saw that new one with the Wifi connector? Maybe get that one. The one single USB port on the $10 one with Ethernet is annoying.

Also, HMDI support on these things is not great. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but as near as I can tell you need a specific script.bin for each mode. 1080p is one script.bin, 720p is another. HDMI to DVI is still another.

They are cheap though!

The openelec port has fixed some of those issues. script.bin is not there as it is autodetected from EDID. Some boards still have issues with the eMMC booting if there is something other connected. The HDMI-DVI issues came from the forced on HDCP in default builds by orange pi (no copy protection information on hdmi port, no image).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf