Author Topic: "GPS Isolator"  (Read 3384 times)

Offline nidlaXTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
"GPS Isolator"
« on: March 15, 2016, 07:14:32 am »

Quote from: sometard
GPS isolator. Helps boost preventative signals. Keeps your GPS safe. Adjust your frequencies to assure your not affected by other users.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gps-isolator-/331803418102
wut

(Related: http://szeastlonge.sell.everychina.com/p-90223169-car-anti-tracker-gps-signal-jammer-isolator-est-808ka2-dc-12v-24v.html)

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: "GPS Isolator"
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 08:19:47 am »
Let's not go there. Signal jammers for GPS, GSM, CDMA etc... etc... are illegal in Australia and most likely where you live too. If customs open the package, it's likely to be seized. Even "mere possession" is an offence in Australia, whether or not it is operating.

http://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/faqs-mobile-phone-and-gps-jamming-devices-acma

In my opinion, there is no legitimate reason for owning one. If you distrust your partner that much you're needing to jam a phone/GPS signal around you, then a jammer won't fix your issues.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 08:34:45 am by Halcyon »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:06:03 am »
To the same point i will say, a number of GPS tracking devices i have worked with will still reach the mobile network with the antenna cut off or unplugged, and a number can fallback into tower approximation mode, where they plot you to say 1km radius rather than 2m, (some build up a table as they drive around), one other has a capable enough IMU to track you for nearly 15KM before it falls out of lock,

So yeah it always comes down to the fact that if someone wants to know where you are, a jamming toy will only help you if they themselves are using a cheap toy tracker,

Offline nidlaXTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 09:25:03 pm »
Signal jammers for GPS, GSM, CDMA etc... etc... are illegal in Australia and most likely where you live too. If customs open the package, it's likely to be seized. Even "mere possession" is an offence in Australia, whether or not it is operating.
I'm aware of that, which is why I thought it would be fun to point out that this guy is selling it as a device to "keep your GPS safe", which sounds like the opposite of what it is. The whole picture of a dongle with an antenna that you plug into your cigarette lighter just looks ridiculous to me.

But anyways, don't take it too seriously, it's only a felony for the seller.

Offline ericloewe

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 11:57:22 pm »
Signal jammers for GPS, GSM, CDMA etc... etc... are illegal in Australia and most likely where you live too. If customs open the package, it's likely to be seized. Even "mere possession" is an offence in Australia, whether or not it is operating.
I'm aware of that, which is why I thought it would be fun to point out that this guy is selling it as a device to "keep your GPS safe", which sounds like the opposite of what it is. The whole picture of a dongle with an antenna that you plug into your cigarette lighter just looks ridiculous to me.

But anyways, don't take it too seriously, it's only a felony for the seller.

Five bucks say the antenna's not even connected to anything.

Ten bucks say China Wun Hung Lo Super Happy Factory doesn't know how to even begin to jam a GPS signal.

Offline han

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 12:20:55 am »
I bet many car thief buy this kind of device.

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 01:41:35 am »
Man, back in school they used to listen to annoying ass radio stations when we had time to study, crappy taste in music that the majority of students chose, I planned on making a jammer, simple enough, since it would be much closer to the radio, my device would overpower the station and block it out for the room, and I would be able to choose from the main frequencies that different stations used, unfortunately I couldn't find any oscillators that were close, and I didn't have the ability to really modulate the frequency myself, or make something that could do it, so I never got around to it.

I still think it would be a fun project, but meh.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 02:39:39 am »
I like the IR-based "TV B-gone" basically its a handheld IR device that when you press the button cycles through a large library of IR remote codes for "off" so you can point it at a wall of TVs in a TV store, waiting room, wherever and just turn them all off.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 04:47:56 am »
I'm aware of that, which is why I thought it would be fun to point out that this guy is selling it as a device to "keep your GPS safe"
Basic Chinese-English language issue... "Keep your gps safe" when they mean "keep you safe from gps (trackers)". You'll learn to "translate" those in real-time if you ever have to deal with Chinese people with low English level...

But yeah I doubt there's anything at all in that first one, maybe just a LED but nothing connected to the SMA...

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 07:07:38 am »
Five bucks say the antenna's not even connected to anything.

Ten bucks say China Wun Hung Lo Super Happy Factory doesn't know how to even begin to jam a GPS signal.

You're part right (about them not knowing the fundamentals of GPS) however they don't care. I have a similar unit on display at work (not quite as nice looking as that one; in fact the antenna fell off last time I used it in a presentation), but rest assured those dodgy cigarette lighter jobs actually do work, with varying degrees of success.

In contrast, our Corrective Services have been trialing CJAM branded jammers in some of our jails which as far more sophisticated.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:09:59 am by Halcyon »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf