Author Topic: "Pistonless Engine" Used To Generate Electricity  (Read 11384 times)

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
Re: "Pistonless Engine" Used To Generate Electricity
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 08:22:16 pm »
Jet engines are loud, high maintenance, and expensive; [...]
Proper jet engines need good maintenance, but they can run for 2-3 years (full on all the time) without or with minimal maintenance. I am talking about jet powered turbine generators/compressors used in remote locations for gas/oil pumping.

Other than that, jet engines are MUCH harder to maintain - your local car shop is not suited for this job at all, this is different league/standards/mindset. Only air plane or jet engine repair shops have required skills and tools.
Difficulty arises from the use of delicate parts, 1000s of parts not suited to be replaced and the fact that one usually needs to strip down the whole engine completely. After repair comes strict procedure of assembly, balancing and tuning jet. You just cannot fix jet engine as simply as a car engine.

[...]Have you ever wondered why only Jay Leno owns a turbine powered car?[...]
Yeah, Jay Leno likes to buy and buys everything that moves on its own power and wheels. He is no example of a typical potential consumer for jet powered stuff.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 05:14:13 pm by electr_peter »

Offline harnon

• Regular Contributor
  • Is this thing on?
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2014, 08:57:33 am »
The Yaris and Auris are both smaller than the Prius. Also the battery is what gets you up to 75 MPH and like current hybrids it will probably be quite quick. Toyota actually have to limit the acceleration of their hybrids electronically. The battery recharges as your cruise or brake, just like current hybrids.

I didn't think the Prius was all that quick 0-100km/hr - not sure how accurate this list is but its only a second faster than a Land Cruiser. Anyway, fast take off is a characteristic of electric cars which produce the highest torque at 0 rpm, whilst IC engines produce high torque later in the rpm range. This means electric cars will almost always be faster off the line.

In the Toyota configuration at cruising speeds 20kW is required solely to maintain speed. There may be some change in this value based on a different car body shape and frontal area but unlikely to be major. There would be no spare energy to charge the batteries at cruise without slowing the vehicle.

EDIT: Actually according to Ecomodder the Yaris would be worse than the Prius as it has a higher CdA
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 08:59:42 am by harnon »

Offline han

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2014, 09:05:04 am »
How if rotary engine directly couple to PM generator..
Mazda have made rotary engine..
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mazda-plans-rx-9-sports-coupe

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2014, 09:35:59 am »
There is this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_engine, it is pistonless. I've drived the Mazda RX8, it is a nice engine. I believe it should be easier to make a nice compact awesome engine, this combined with en electrical engine. It should be one integral part, working together, with precision control.
The electrical part should brake when the combustion happens, and accelerate on the other parts, to make it as smooth as possible. But this probably sounds like science fiction from the 23 century for the automotive industry.

Offline han

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2014, 09:56:23 am »
Rather than Battery as plug-in, maybe rotary engine generator plugin is more beneficial.
So when high mileage range is need ed just plug the generator plugin..  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf