Author Topic: Linear Encoders anyone?  (Read 4183 times)

Offline smackaayTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Steve's Junk
Linear Encoders anyone?
« on: February 22, 2013, 04:51:33 am »
 So, I've been trying to design some measuring instruments in quantities of say 100 or so and I'm finding that getting linear encoders that meet my specifications are difficult to find. I was wondering if anyone has stumbled across something that might be useful because it's been an arduous journey thus far. I have found glass scales and stuff but they draw way too much power, are too large and are difficult to implement mechanically.

My criteria are:

Current draw 20ma or less
good resolution/accuracy (.0005" inches or even .0001")
Reasonably small size so its easier to implement since this is a handheld tool.
a bit of environmental protection or resilience.

I've found some stuff from austria microsystems that might fit the bill in the form of a magnetic encoder but the error on the magnetic strips is pretty high.

Has any found, let's say, some excellent solutions, kind of like digital caliper sensors that are really low power, perhaps absolute or that meet the criteria? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Come see my boring site - http://smackaay.com/

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
Re: Linear Encoders anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 05:27:39 am »
All I can think of for precision linear position measurement are Linear Variable differential transformers (LVDT)

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 05:45:30 am »
I remember reading an app note in an old National Semi Linear Applications Handbook that I have and just found it its AN-301

May be a little dated but gives you an idea of how to drive one

Offline elCap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 05:55:19 am »
You might find something here http://www.renishaw.com

As for LVDT there ones available with built in signal conditioner. Very easy to use, just apply voltage and read out a voltage prop to position.

this from NI that might be useful: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3436/en

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 09:59:14 am »
I've used the AS5304 from Austria Microsystems (www.ams.com) in something similar. 
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline DenzilPenberthy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 11:05:11 am »
I'd second having a look at Renishaw, they make all kinds of amazing encoders.

http://www.renishaw.com/en/position-encoders--6331

(But then I used to work for them so I would say that, wouldn't I?)

;)

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 12:31:27 pm »
Another vote for Renishaw from work too (linear servo motor), their sub micron resolution scales are pretty $$$ though.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 01:17:47 pm »
digital caliper sensors that are really low power, perhaps absolute or that meet the criteria? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have built hundreds of units using the guts of the Mitutoyo absolute calipers to be used in an industrial environment. I build custom cases to house the electronics that are air purged and I just cut the scale bar off of standard calipers. In my case the customer wanted the visual display just like the caliper but if you need to interface you can use the SPC output versions and access the positional data.  The other great thing about these is they only need to be absolute zeroed once. Rezero is only needed when you change a battery which is about 2 years life.

Offline N2IXK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 01:28:55 pm »
LVDTs are excellent for precision linear measurements, and there are single-chip signal conditioning solutions available. Check out the AD598 and AD698 from Analog Devices.
"My favorite programming language is...SOLDER!"--Robert A. Pease

Offline smackaayTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Steve's Junk
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 01:34:05 pm »
I looked at a lot of solutions, but never Renishaw. They have some good encoders. Thanks everyone!
Come see my boring site - http://smackaay.com/

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 03:33:26 pm »
I have built hundreds of units using the guts of the Mitutoyo absolute calipers to be used in an industrial environment. I build custom cases to house the electronics that are air purged and I just cut the scale bar off of standard calipers. In my case the customer wanted the visual display just like the caliper but if you need to interface you can use the SPC output versions and access the positional data.  The other great thing about these is they only need to be absolute zeroed once. Rezero is only needed when you change a battery which is about 2 years life.

What a fantastic and cheap (if you dont use Mitutyo) idea... Filed away for future reference  :-+

Offline jeroen74

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 06:48:11 pm »
MicroE Systems is another one. At work we use one of their sensors for micrometer precise positioning. Expensive stuff.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf