Author Topic: A $18,000 hamburger  (Read 10592 times)

Offline Rick LawTopic starter

• Super Contributor
A $18,000 hamburger
« on: February 03, 2016, 11:22:37 pm »
Okay, we here are probably more accepting of new technology.  Artificial lab-grown meat.  Smells the same, cooks the same, price a bit on the high side.

"...Memphis Meats grows animal muscle tissue using stem cells of cows and pigs and feeds them oxygen and nutrients, according to the Wall Street Journal. While there are no animals slaughtered in making the meats, the firm does use fetal bovine serum from unborn calves' blood to initiate the process.

So far, the cells grow in extremely thin layers—which is very labor intensive and expensive.  Now it costs about $18,000 to produce a pound of Memphis Meats beef--compared to about $4 for store-bought beef..."

What do you think of this $18,000 per pound artificially grown beef?  I am sure left to develop, it will get cheaper to perhaps 2x to 10x "normal meat" price.  Would you pay extra or less or wont touch it however cheap?

Quotes from (and you can see the meat ball there):
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/02/03/world-first-lab-grown-meatball-revealed/?intcmp=hpbt4
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:24:15 pm by Rick Law »

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
Re: A $18,000 hamburger
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 11:27:18 pm »
Not quite a $18K burger:  I was in buckhead, a trendy area of atlanta in the early 1990s, having lunch at a fancy place there. On the menu is a "world famous burger", complimentary of a bottle of nice wine. the note next to the item said: please allow 15 minutes so our waiters can cross the street safely.

Curious about it, I asked why. The waiter pointed me towards a Wendy's on the other side of the street, saying that's where you will be getting their "world famous burger".

Total fare of like $250, pretty much entirely in the wine.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 11:32:35 pm »
I would rather have a plate of bugs

Details on how the bugs are cooked:

http://importfood.com/thai_insects.html

Now a grown hamburger with a plate of bugs - oh I am getting so hungry  :-+

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:38:16 pm by ez24 »
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 11:34:46 pm »
I went to a Hooters while back, don't really care for that place, but the folks I was with insisted, so I went along. They had a $200 menu item. Dom Perignon and wings, heh

Here someone took a photo of the menu:

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 03:42:27 pm »
I'd eat it, and would probably pay a bit extra for it.  My wife is a vegetarian, I've slowly been moving in that direction myself, and we have a number of vegetarian/vegan friends, and I think we'd all probably at least give it a shot.  That said, there are plenty of other good alternatives to meat out there, so I can't see paying a lot more for lab-grown meat on a regular basis. 

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 03:59:38 pm »
Not sure if growing it is the best idea. You might be able to inkjet a decent meat substitute. Take sheets of porous collagen, print patterned protein goo and fat on it and make a stack of such sheets?

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 04:05:28 pm »
Maybe for off planet use this is a good idea, otherwise this is not practical...
I have no problem killing animals for food, it happens all the time on this planet....
Sue AF6LJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 05:48:25 pm »
When I posted, I was withholding my view to see some of your views first.

Lots of prepared food at the store are minced meat reconstituted (pressed) into fillet often.  They are not just meat, but mixed with grain and other cheaper products.  These kinds of meat products are just about a grey-line from being totally artificial.

The idea of petri-dish made meat makes my hair stand, but in time, we would get used to the idea.  It is a good idea to develop the technology to "lab-grow" meat.  I would eat it only as emergency of as cheap alternative.  However, I doubt very much it would be price competitive.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 06:18:16 pm »
Maybe for off planet use this is a good idea, otherwise this is not practical...
I have no problem killing animals for food, it happens all the time on this planet....
I thought I read a reference to a United Nations report which claimed that raising animals for meat produced significantly more greenhouse gasses and other polution than all the transportation on the planet.  Eating animals is extremely inefficient of resources. It takes more than an order of magnitude more food for the animal than you get out of it.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 06:26:18 pm »
I thought I read a reference to a United Nations report which claimed that raising animals for meat produced significantly more greenhouse gasses and other polution than all the transportation on the planet.  Eating animals is extremely inefficient of resources. It takes more than an order of magnitude more food for the animal than you get out of it.

Who cares what the UN says.
I'm calling Bullshit on that.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 06:42:26 pm »

At the world there are an overpopulation of the pigs, we can be efficient following the Hannibal Lecter's doctrine. :-DD :-DD

Are there somebody that  you like the codillo's pig? :-DD :-DD

https://youtu.be/jcfWWcQO6OY

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 07:06:03 pm »
There's too many humans for everyone to regularly eat steak.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 07:34:49 pm »
Most of the people on the planet are virtual ECONOMIC vegetarians. They can't afford a fraction of the amount of meat consumed in the "developed" populations.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 08:05:36 pm »
Most of the people on the planet are virtual ECONOMIC vegetarians. They can't afford a fraction of the amount of meat consumed in the "developed" populations.

I agree with your point.  But artificial meat is not going to change that anytime soon.  In fact, I believe if artificial meat ever takes hold, more "ECONOMIC vegetarians" will exist.

Your point makes it more paradoxical that in the developed world meat is cheaper than veggie.  Frozen meat can come to the USA from Brazil tasting not much different than unfrozen, whereas, frozen veggie is a good bit less appetizing with the texture/firmness gone.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 08:36:10 pm »
I would rather have a plate of bugs

Details on how the bugs are cooked:
Once my friend traveled to Malaysia. As I remembered that in about that region you can buy edible bugs, I asked him to bring some, so I can taste this stuff. Turned out it was Thailand, as Malaysian people looked on the poor guy like on idiot when he asked where he could buy the bugs  :-DD.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 09:12:56 pm »
I think in the end the actual cost of growing so called "meat" in a vat will be more costly than raising a cow fed on grass. I am sure some government, or governments will come along and regulate raising animals for food out of existence.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 10:12:07 pm »

But the land use to support a vegetarian is more than an omnivorous person...

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2007/10/diet-little-meat-more-efficient-many-vegetarian-diets

Eat Food (what your grandparents recognise as food not processed crap), Mostly Plants, and not too much.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 10:56:46 pm »

The reason is that fruits, vegetables and grains must be grown on high-quality cropland, he explained. Meat and dairy products from ruminant animals are supported by lower quality, but more widely available, land that can support pasture and hay. A large pool of such land is available in New York state because for sustainable use, most farmland requires a crop rotation with such perennial crops as pasture and hay.
So we can support more people by making them eat second-hand low-quality food made from dead animals.  And if we limit ourselves to what can be grown in New York, not notable as an agriculture state.

And that doesn't count the damage to the atmosphere from all the cow farts.
The EPA has also recognized the contribution cow farts are making to Earth’s greenhouse gases, stating earlier that globally, livestock are the “largest source of methane from human-related activities,” and are the third largest source of methane in the U.S.
http://www.ibtimes.com/cow-farts-have-larger-greenhouse-gas-impact-previously-thought-methane-pushes-climate-change-1487502

Nor does it account for the higher health-care costs of meat-eaters vs. vegetarians.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:58:17 pm by Richard Crowley »

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 04:23:13 pm »

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2007/10/diet-little-meat-more-efficient-many-vegetarian-diets

Eat Food (what your grandparents recognise as food not processed crap), Mostly Plants, and not too much.
That is interesting...
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 04:32:23 pm »

The reason is that fruits, vegetables and grains must be grown on high-quality cropland, he explained. Meat and dairy products from ruminant animals are supported by lower quality, but more widely available, land that can support pasture and hay. A large pool of such land is available in New York state because for sustainable use, most farmland requires a crop rotation with such perennial crops as pasture and hay.
So we can support more people by making them eat second-hand low-quality food made from dead animals.  And if we limit ourselves to what can be grown in New York, not notable as an agriculture state.

And that doesn't count the damage to the atmosphere from all the cow farts.
The EPA has also recognized the contribution cow farts are making to Earth’s greenhouse gases, stating earlier that globally, livestock are the “largest source of methane from human-related activities,” and are the third largest source of methane in the U.S.
http://www.ibtimes.com/cow-farts-have-larger-greenhouse-gas-impact-previously-thought-methane-pushes-climate-change-1487502

Nor does it account for the higher health-care costs of meat-eaters vs. vegetarians.
There is a lot of misinformation regarding vegetarianism.
As for the environmental impact animals raised for food has, so much of that is conspearacy theory crap. Just like the man caused global warming mythology.

Humans need certain amino acids derived from living animals such fish, birds, and other animals.

If you are worried about the quality of meat...
get grass fed meat and non farmed fish.

It is arguable pesticides sprayed on plants have done more harm to the enviroment than breeding a few cows has.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 07:54:49 pm »
Simply the global warming is a great SCAM, when indonesian volcano blasted in 1815, it caused a mini-ice age(known as The year Without Summer) in Europe and North America.
On resume, a volcan changed the global harm a few days, millions of the cows are farting don't made nothing.

i am worried more about the quality vegetables due to the great quantities pesticides and nitrats that the peasant put them.
I have never seen so great quantities the fruits and vegetables that taste cork or it rots from inside to out

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 08:16:43 pm »
Simply the global warming is a great SCAM, when indonesian volcano blasted in 1815, it caused a mini-ice age(known as The year Without Summer) in Europe and North America.
On resume, a volcan changed the global harm a few days, millions of the cows are farting don't made nothing.

i am worried more about the quality vegetables due to the great quantities pesticides and nitrats that the peasant put them.
I have never seen so great quantities the fruits and vegetables that taste cork or it rots from inside to out

You should be very worried.
Sue AF6LJ

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 08:35:45 pm »
Scam or not, but this year where I live there was no snow until the end of December. And now all of the snow is already melted and positive temperature stays for more than a week. Ice on the lakes and rivers is already almost melted. And was quiet similar in the last years. The thing is, in the past (>15 years ago) the snow appeared in the second part of November and stayed until March. I've even was doing ice fishing in the beginning of March.

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 08:39:03 pm »
You should be very worried.

Simply i have assume it. Since 2 years ,In my family we have becomen an Irish ,the 90% vegetables are  fresh potatoes and the rest are onions ,pumpkins, freeze vegetables . This is impossible find fresh quality vegetables and with fine prize.

Regarding fruit, the only quality are the orange and tangerines, sometimes apples and paraguayos

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 09:35:26 pm »
Scam or not, but this year where I live there was no snow until the end of December. And now all of the snow is already melted and positive temperature stays for more than a week. Ice on the lakes and rivers is already almost melted. And was quiet similar in the last years. The thing is, in the past (>15 years ago) the snow appeared in the second part of November and stayed until March. I've even was doing ice fishing in the beginning of March.

Simply  It is a nature fad .Where i live(1,5km from the  Mediterranean sea) , you can be at 15º C  during the day and  when fall the  night, the temperature down until  minus 2 ºC. And other strange phenomenous , in the last 7 years i  have seen   snowing  4 or 5 times in March over level sea in my town .

I believe the strange warms is a normal cycle of the earth, furthermore  there are manuscripts that  reports stranges warms in the past . Example : The chronicle of the  pirate  Turkish raid in the Palamòs village at 1543 where reporting the warm condition of day.

http://www.lavanguardia.com/local/girona/20160127/301710372687/barbarroja-palamos-ataque-invierno-calor.html(Sorry It is spanish)

Piece of manuscrit
“En aquest any en lo mes de novembre foren vistos per mi sireras verdas en un sirerer en lo clos den Safont; y mes en dit mes de novembre y desembre y en la festa de Nadal viu jo rosas de roser com de abril y de maig en lo ort es de Antoni Boffill del raval de Palafrugell y en altras orts. O he copiat per memoria perque se quedia en lo arxiu aqueixa nota.”

Translate:

At this year on the November month were seen  for me , green cherries at cherry-tree near of Safont, furthermore November ,December and Christmas i saw the roses as on April and May in the   Antoni Boffill del raval de Palafrugell's garden and others. I report for memory  because it stays in the file this note

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf