Author Topic: a 3d printed metal gun report  (Read 7676 times)

Offline staxquadTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eye Candy
a 3d printed metal gun report
« on: November 29, 2013, 04:51:42 am »
"TEPCO Fukushima you long time"
You say Vegemite, I say Yosemite. (Ve-gem-mit-tee, Yo-zey-might)  
"For starters : you're Canadian...."

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
Re: a 3d printed metal gun report
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 05:25:46 am »
I love it how you provided the video with no bias or judgment to begin the thread.  Its really refreshing  :-+ :-+ :-+
http://www.garrettbaldwin.com/

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 07:38:25 am »
So if you have the appropriate machines you can actually make an instrument that can kill someone? Wow, I'm glad that that wasn't possible in the old days!

I don't really get what all the fuss is about - if someone wants to harm/kill people, they'll be able to do it, be it with a kitchen knife, DIY pipe bomb, bought or printed gun, sharpened toothbrush or a hammer. It's just another scare report made to create an artificial hype/craze by the media.

Either way, the company got good free advertising, and good for them. I'm not really concerned.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 08:40:25 am »
I think it's funny that the idiotic news media is sensationalizing all of this.

Were they utterly unaware of the fact that machinery has existed for well over a century that was perfectly capable of making guns, and in fact many people own these machines already today (known as a lathe).

Not only that, but you can even make a rudimentary single-shot gun without even owning one of these machines using parts you get at the local hardware store (using pipe to make a zip gun). 

What a bunch of morons those in the media are.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 08:53:47 am »
Again a lot media morons hyping something they don't understand. The lasers in those metal powder sinttering 3D printers used to print those guns is far more powerful than any LED laser that's going to be in a home version of a 3D metal powder printer, for things like guns you need to weld the metal powder together the domestic units they showed used a metal powder in a  carrier so what you ended up with was a metal powder reinforced plastic not the same thing as solid metal.
The main things those industrial 3D printers will be used for is things like special gears for race cars and aircraft parts. Most car gears are maid using powder metallurgy these days and have been for many years using heated molds in presses.
It must have been a no news night so they released that film.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 09:15:55 am »
All I heard was " :blah:  :blah:  :blah: fear mongering  :blah:  :blah:  :blah: unrelated stuff stitched together  :blah: omg why do I work in news media  :blah:  :blah:  :blah: pleeeeease shoot me  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:".

In related news, high tech contraptions readily available to consumers now capable of vehicular manslaughter!!! OMG!!! @_@ Cars can kill people! STOP THE PRESS!

*snore*

(for doubleplusomg score, do a news story about 3D-printed cars killing people! preferably 3D-printed cars controlled by google)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 09:17:05 am »
When it comes to this kind of sensationalism press, I keep hearing that it can be easily smuggled through the xray machine.  :palm:

Ok, lets say "ALL" gun parts are made from plastic from the 3D printing machine includes the spring and the hammer.

But if the bullet is still made from metal, isn't this visible in xray ? or they already have all plastic made bullet ? This particular detail is never heard of.  :-//

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 12:11:53 pm »
But this gun is all stainless steel so unless X rays and magnetism have changed in the past few days this gun will be detected.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 12:15:09 pm »
What criminal in his right mind is going to do this when he can just buy an illegal gun for $100?  Our media is so damn stupid it's sickening.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 12:17:59 pm »
it's a pretty funny sociopolitical trend.
since anybody shooting <.5MOA relies on machinists to produce wickedly accurate parts, and in fact have machined projectiles for those accuracy+precision nuts.

less tangentially, projectiles made from things other than metal have been around for a while.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 12:51:19 pm »
it's a pretty funny sociopolitical trend.
since anybody shooting <.5MOA relies on machinists to produce wickedly accurate parts, and in fact have machined projectiles for those accuracy+precision nuts.

less tangentially, projectiles made from things other than metal have been around for a while.

Not just that,  but caseless ammo takes a lot of metal out too.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 01:17:26 pm »
This is from Russian RT TV, hardly a source of objective news, more like old Soviet propaganda most of the time.  ::)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 07:14:53 pm »
So if you have the appropriate machines you can actually make an instrument that can kill someone? Wow, I'm glad that that wasn't possible in the old days!

I don't really get what all the fuss is about - if someone wants to harm/kill people, they'll be able to do it, be it with a kitchen knife, DIY pipe bomb, bought or printed gun, sharpened toothbrush or a hammer. It's just another scare report made to create an artificial hype/craze by the media.
Say you want to rob a super market. What would work best while saying they should give you all their money?
1 Holding an umbrella with a pointy end?
2 Holding a piece of water tubing?
3 Holding a bottle which says 'acid'?
4 Holding a realistic looking gun?

Over here it is forbidden to even own a plastic gun if it looks too realistic. You can get severe penalties for that.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 07:25:27 pm »
Say you want to rob a super market. What would work best while saying they should give you all their money?
5 Holding a cardboard sign saying "Pretty please with sugar on top"

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Re: a 3d printed metal gun report
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 08:21:49 pm »
5 Holding a cardboard sign saying "Pretty please with sugar on top"

A hand in a jacket pocket and a note.
http://www.garrettbaldwin.com/

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Offline deth502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 08:32:15 pm »
wow, thats the route to go for sure. why in the hell would i ever want to walk into a gun shop and wait 15min for them to run the nics check and pay $700 for a 1911 when i could have one as easily as buying a $600,000 machine and spend hundreds upon hundreds of hours of perfecting the operation of it to get a gun?!?!!?

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 11:10:20 pm »
This is from Russian RT TV, hardly a source of objective news, more like old Soviet propaganda most of the time.  ::)

You think other news sources are balanced and objective? I find a bit of 'Soviet propaganda' a welcome relief from 'Western propaganda'.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 02:01:56 am »
If your search for unbiased news led you to RT TV, I can recommend another one: Press TV.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf