Author Topic: A New type of Electronics Engineering Degree course.  (Read 2506 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: A New type of Electronics Engineering Degree course.
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2023, 10:22:06 pm »
And I joined this forum because I thought it was a serious place to discuss electronics.

As you can see by the replies here, Faringdon is infamous for posts like this. Many people have him on their ignore list. others just like to play along for the LOL's.

The following users thanked this post: hans, Andy Watson, tggzzz, MK14, JPortici, abeyer

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2023, 11:34:41 pm »
And I joined this forum because I thought it was a serious place to discuss electronics.

As you can see by the replies here, Faringdon is infamous for posts like this. Many people have him on their ignore list. others just like to play along for the LOL's.

I wonder how many people wander into the forum, see lazybones/antivaxxer/zealot/nutter posts - and don't stay around long enough to see the high quality responses. I have no idea how that could be assessed.

"Bad money drives out the good", or "broken window theory", and all that. Usenet was and twatter/farcebook are cautionary tales.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 11:39:56 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: abeyer

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2023, 11:58:07 pm »

I wonder how many people wander into the forum, see lazybones/antivaxxer/zealot/nutter posts - and don't stay around long enough to see the high quality responses. I have no idea how that could be assessed.

"Bad money drives out the good", or "broken window theory", and all that. Usenet was and twatter/farcebook are cautionary tales.

But, if a rule or rules are introduced, that drive out people like that.  It might also tend to change the characteristics/feelings/atmosphere of the forum as well.

E.g. Make it more like stricter forums, such as stack exchange.  Which can then put off people using it, because of its formalities and risks of getting into trouble or difficulties with people on there.  Because you made minor mistakes and things.

At least the thread that was apparently created to ask how bad behaviour such as trolling (as I perceived the thread), and continually going on about things, while ignoring other posters.  E.g. Physics theories.

I.e. This one:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/what-if-someone-is-wrong-on-this-forum/

Has demonstrated why politics is significantly discouraged, here.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 12:00:20 am by MK14 »

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2024, 01:36:04 am »
1….How to Create a “token” electronics engineering company……doing as little as possible electronics engineering….just enough to make your customers think that you know enough about electronics to be able to handle the importation of their electronics product.

So basically a company that deliberately tries to deceive customers and peddle shit quality products into the market, with little to no after-sales support.

2….How to disguise the fact that your customer’s electronics product will be imported from China.
For example. You create a “token” electronics manufacturing operation in UK….and try and fool certain of your customers into believeing that  all their product will be manufactured and designed there, in UK.

By making misleading country of origin claims and breaking laws in the process.

2A…How to invent a separate company, at companies house, and do all the importation through this company.
Do it from the “backroom”, so that nobody knows you are doing it. Use your token electronics company to help bring you customers for this separate company. Be sure to tell people that you “don’t do imports”…when in fact, you do …but you just hide this operation from view.

More lies and unconscionable conduct.

2B...Obviously its something of a pain having to pay for this "token" electronics business aspect, when it likely doesn't make money. However, since the overall company is making a profit (just hide the fact that the profit is actually  from direct imports), you can look like a "real" Electronics company, and call in things like Government grants (eg Government grant funded projects etc) to help pay for the token electronics business.

Starting to sound more like fraud, tax evasion and obtaining benefit by deception.

3….How to attract (and retain) good electronics engineers into your company, when you have pretty well no real  desire whatsoever to do any electronics engineering.
You need to have electronics engineers in your company, in order to fool your customers that you know what you are doing in electronics.
But how do you attract electronics engineers  and  retain them,  when you don’t want to do electronics engineering..?...here’s how…
a)….Never let an electronics engineer get to the end of a project (since they may then leave)…always have them working on multiple unfinshed projects, so that at any time, they can be accused of scuppering a project if they leave. Be sure to make it clear to the electronics engineer that they will be given a bad reference if they leave, since they are “leaving the company when in the middle of a project”.
b) Get the electronics engineer working on a project, then constantly “ throw spanners in the works” so that the engineer cannot finish the project, or is severely delayed in doing so. Then if the electronics engineer trys to leave, be sure to accuse them of “leaving the company when in the middle of a project”.

So not only lying to your customers, but your own employees as well. Yep, sounds like a great way to attract and keep engineers and good talent within a business.

Ways of delaying a project are  things like…

(i)….constantly changing the spec to that the Electronics Engineer  has to keep starting over. (their work is likely to be only "token" work anyway, not really important, but dont let them know this)
(ii)….ensure that there are delays in getting  eg PCBs assembled/manufactured.
(iii)….Keep inventing additional  jobs that you throw at the engineer in order to delay  them  in doing the main project that they are working on.
(iv)…Make them rush out a PCB….make them do it so fast that they make layout mistakes…then insist that they “white wire” modify the PCB to correct it….knowing full well that due to noise reasons this will be a very long job for them, and in fact, it would really  be cheaper and quicker to simply re-order the PCB.
(v) With a more junior EE, you can get them to waste time by giving them  "carrot on a stick" jobs.....eg, they  often dont understand that the high frequency noise seen on scopes is often common mode noise ("pickup").....so get them to try and filter it out with diff mode caps etc in the circuit...and watch  them go blue in the face as they try in vain to reduce the noise.
(vi)...Another good one for a junior EE is to give them a computer power supply, and tell them to try and get it working...dont tell them that they have a "5V enable"  line in the connector, and that the PSU will never work until they put the 5V into it...watch them spend ages going blue in the face as they try in vain to fix.....this sort of thing is great , as it gets them to waste their time, but doesnt give them any useful experience that they can put on their CV/resume to go and  work somewhere else....so you can retain them for longer.

Basically mismanagement and pissing people off.

Anyway,  such a great course is definitely needed, can you think of any further subjects for the Syllabus?

No it's not. It's a fucking stupid idea and no half-reputable educational institution would even consider such a course.

I honestly had to read the original post twice before I realised you weren't actually joking. Your thought process is defective. No one with a shred of ethics or integrity would ever consider this a good idea. Faringdon, I hope you are never placed in any position of authority over anything or anyone. I wouldn't trust you to assemble a burger at McDonalds, let alone have any hand in running a business. What you have described is 100% what not to do... ever.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 02:14:44 am by Halcyon »

The following users thanked this post: Kean, tooki, MK14, Veteran68, pcprogrammer

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2024, 07:47:45 am »

I honestly had to read the original post twice before I realised you weren't actually joking. Your thought process is defective. No one with a shred of ethics or integrity would ever consider this a good idea. Faringdon, I hope you are never placed in any position of authority over anything or anyone. I wouldn't trust you to assemble a burger at McDonalds, let alone have any hand in running a business. What you have described is 100% what not to do... ever.

And with that.... Troll mission accomplished.  3 points to Faringdon. 

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2024, 07:54:38 am »
Farringdon can't even do sarcasm.

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2024, 10:30:12 am »

Troll or not, this is the shit that lunacy is made from. Absolute dribble. The scary part is, I think he believes it himself. Who's really "winning" here?

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2024, 10:40:48 am »
Troll or not, this is the shit that lunacy is made from. Absolute dribble. The scary part is, I think he believes it himself. Who's really "winning" here?

I do wonder what the real story is behind this user. Will we ever know.  :-//

Can't judge on some of his stuff due to lack of knowledge myself (switching power supplies), but shit like this has to be a fairy tail.

It is fun though from time to time.  :popcorn:

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2024, 11:06:49 am »

... well that's 2 points to Faringdon.  :(

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2024, 01:05:04 pm »

Not the readers. Arguably not EEVBlog Forum.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Halcyon

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2024, 01:56:28 pm »
The scary part is, I think he believes it himself.
Are you also scared of the sun rising every day?
Must be a stressful existence... ;D

Welcome to earth, enjoy your stay :popcorn:

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2024, 01:56:54 pm »
Maybe we need a poll, for the best/favourite solutions.

There seem to be a number of members, who use to be banned, including the OP.  Who somehow, have been allowed back, despite apparent permanent bans.

Otherwise, this forum, could deteriorate.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2024, 02:08:12 pm »
Give them air and they will breath, it's funny that all the people that are so distressed insist on continually posting just to point out what a pain in the backside they think someone is. This isn't a bunch of first time unsuspecting users, but people who seem to enjoy it as much as the so called source of the problem. every time someone posts it bumps the thread back up and gets it more attention, don't answer and it just drops into oblivion and everyone is happy. the OP got it off his chest, got to see that no one is interested or believes it and every one else can carry on happy. But no, and that's the administrations fault apparently.

Next time I will lock the thread at the start and post a note that this is to protect other users from themselves.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, hexreader, Benta, Jacon, pcprogrammer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf