Author Topic: A Nutter! Causes neighbors houses to brown out!  (Read 35446 times)

Offline Flavour FlaveTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
  • Never knowingly unoffensive.
Re: A Nutter! Causes neighbors houses to brown out!
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 03:53:41 pm »
Well who sounds more ignorant, the Welsh or the Cockneys?  :D

Not much in it methinks.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 03:55:41 pm by rico1974 »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 04:19:54 pm »
it the uk version of those microwave this idiots

some his video he dose seem quite knowledgeable though
just his stupid way of talking seems quite ignorant

The microwave guys are just plain nuts and Darwin award material. This guy does some crazy things while he seems to know what he is doing roughly. Personally I care little for his attention grabbing experiments and yes he does "play with fire" sometimes

Offline _Sin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 04:30:54 pm »
I think the old saying "knows just enough to be dangerous" applies here... he's clearly knowledgeable, but I wouldn't want to be his neighbour (or be in the same room when he's farting about).

Programmer with a soldering iron - fear me.

Offline Sionyn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 05:27:15 pm »
looks like he learnt the hard way

eecs guy

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 06:04:48 pm »
Lol.

Well he at least knows how to use an oscilloscope so he can't be that stupid.

I've found AC to be more shocking and I wouldn't agree with his statement about it throwing you off, I know someone who was nearly killed because he couldn't let go of an electric drill which had developed an earth fault until his neighbour turned off the power. Don't forget that the peak voltage is higher so for 230VRMS you've got 325V and although it does cross through zero 100 or 120 times a second but the zero crossing time is negligible.

Plenty of studies have been done on the subject and it's generally agreed that the same AC current has between three to five times the shocking effect as DC.

Here are some more links:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=B0aPhJn0YcAC&pg=PA963&lpg=PA963&dq=let-go+current+shock&source=bl&ots=eELpQzCycv&sig=xMzkz9AeJWLghhYrWU7B4Sa4VS4&hl=en&ei=SejpSajnJcONjAf64LibCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5#v=onepage&q=let-go%20current%20shock&f=false
http://www.pat-testing.info/electric-shock.htm
http://www.esdjournal.com/techpapr/elechazd/ehaz.htm
http://www.health24.com/medical/Condition_centres/777-792-2557-2577,15144.asp

If DC were more dangerous than the IEE regulations wouldn't say that SELV is below 120VDC or 50VAC, it'd be the other way round.

Offline ilikepez

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2011, 04:23:34 am »
I don't really believe he is getting more then 1000 amps off of that thing. I've seen steel bus bars used to short 50,000 amps at the aluminum smelter I used to work at, and they get a hell of a lot hotter and brighter then that. He must be stepping things down pretty far though.
Sparks about the same though. He can't be using more then five or six volts.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2011, 05:38:39 am »
It could be 0.1V, doesn't really matter, 1000A is still 1000A.

I imagine the aluminum smelter put a hell of a lot more energy in.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:40:12 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2011, 06:35:10 am »
whats the best conductor's resistance at room temperature? 0.1 milliOhm? (0.1V / 1000A)
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Sionyn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2011, 06:56:00 pm »
0.1 milliOhm sounds about right

until someone cracks room temperature super conductors
eecs guy

Offline ziq8tsi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2011, 07:42:12 pm »
whats the best conductor's resistance at room temperature? 0.1 milliOhm? (0.1V / 1000A)

The resistivity of copper is about 17 nanoohm meters.  So a 400mm2 wire is about 43 microohms per meter.

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 10:56:33 pm »
I've spent a lot of time around high voltage and a lot of time with some of the world's foremost leading experts in high voltage discharge and high power applications.  From my experience I think most would concur with this guy about the AC vs. DC thing.

I have worked around many high voltage AC supplies and many DC supplies.  The higher the frequency the supply the more boring it was when it came to destructively electrocuting stuff.  Slower cycle, like the typical mains frequency, produced much more exciting results as opposed to equivalent peak voltages at higher frequencies in the kHz range.

DC supplies in the 10 kV and up range are just plain terrifying, if you ask me.  The screaming noises he describes are very real, its called corona discharge.  If you turn the lights out you will see the electrodes glowing with a thin plasma film created by the intense electric fields.  High voltage DC will jump through the air or find ground much easier than AC voltage.  This is mainly due to the changing field that causes electrons in the area to just wiggle with really no net motion.  DC fields will pull electrons through the air continuously in one direction until it meets the electrode.  If an electron can be pulled from sufficient distance and gain enough energy from the force of the e-field it can impact other particles in the air releasing additional electrons which go on to do the same.  Avalanche breakdown is the fundamental concept behind all sparks and discharges.  The voltage needed to do this for DC is lower than the voltages needed to achieve this for AC at normal air pressures.  The breakdown voltages associated with AC fields are frequency dependent too.  The higher the frequency the higher the peak voltage needed to produce arcing.

It all hurts and it all can kill you so it should be approached with respect.

His high voltage cap story is humorous.  His discharge stick is what I would call a 'chicken stick'.  A dielectric rod with a big fat resistor on the end (few ohms, no more than 10).  He probably didn't have the resistor which is why his discharge was so violent.

-Time

Offline ilikepez

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2011, 03:30:59 am »
It could be 0.1V, doesn't really matter, 1000A is still 1000A.

I imagine the aluminum smelter put a hell of a lot more energy in.

yeah 189,000 amps at 1000 vdc per line. Three lines in the plant. But the voltage was only 4.2 volts nominal per pot.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2011, 04:41:24 pm »
The resistivity of copper is about 17 nanoohm meters.  So a 400mm2 wire is about 43 microohms per meter.
Assuming that's right, at 1000A the power dissipation in the cable will be 43W per meter so it will get hot but it shouldn't burn.

Offline benjius

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2011, 06:13:30 pm »
Hey wait a minute !!!

Photonicinduction has an excellent v-blog very cool and fun to watch!

Just because he's not talking about the arduino or the 555 doesn't mean he's and idiot.
There is more to electronics than just arduinos, LED's and 555's, for some people programming FPGA's is another boring cubicle job inside an building full of sad people writing documentation and coloring excel.

What Photonicinduction is doing it's called "power electronics" that's right kiddies POWER!, this is the kind of dirty job that man and woman do every day to keep our civilization running.
I would be more than happy to have a guy like this as my neighbor, we’ll make friends Im sure!

You might not like power electronics and that is okay, the eevblog forum is certainly not the place for that kind of audience….

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2011, 06:31:49 pm »
Err I think your pulling an argument out of your ass. Nobody has said they don't like him because he is not talking about the stuff we like (digital). Your argument has no relevance at all (unless I've missed some posts).

What is under discussion is his attitude to safety and his general style. We have sometimes had power electronics discussions on here too.

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2011, 07:10:22 pm »
He may be a bit nuts but I don't think he's an idiot. He clearly has got something in is head otherwise he wouldn't do what he does. Yeah, I mean that the way I wrote it.
He's playing with HT and he's still alive, so he's either very very lucky or knows what he does - I think the latter is more likely.
His knack about blowing stuff up is a bit childish but there's a child in every man and some are a bit more naughty then others.
He's certainly got a very relaxed attitude to safety, well as long as he's got his experiments under control it's unlikely to cause more than a few burn holes in the carpet.
Personally I wouldn't go near anything that spits out 300kV. I get nervous working on an open running CRT telly.
On the other hand I'm totally comfortable working on 230/400V mains stuff - because I know what I'm doing there.

Offline benjius

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2011, 07:14:19 pm »
Err I think your pulling an argument out of your ass. Nobody has said they don't like him because he is not talking about the stuff we like (digital). Your argument has no relevance at all (unless I've missed some posts).

What is under discussion is his attitude to safety and his general style. We have sometimes had power electronics discussions on here too.

What kind of agency do you represent? are you from idiots united ?, just because you watch mythbusters and big bang theory does not give you the right to be a safety nazi, not every blogger has to waste 10 minutes explaining about the safety behind his work.

Why don’t you watch his video about safety: https://www.youtube.com/user/Photonicinduction#p/u/44/-f6ENjdKK4w !!!!

Oh BTW, I’ve been around you know…, and you could have saved a few trees because I don’t buy this line: "Nobody has said they don't like him because he is not talking about the stuff we like" I know exactly you don’t like him because he does stuff you don’t like, who are you trying to convince "Politically Incorrect" guy...
Maybe it’s envy? “#16 - Most Viewed (This Month) - Partners - United Kingdom”
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:54:13 pm by benjius »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2011, 05:54:12 am »
Excuse me but are you on some sort of crusade ? I never said I watched myth busters or big bang theory (in fact I don't even have a TV license). It seems you have a problem with me ? in which case feel free to contact me directly !

I am not a "safety nazi" either (and i suggest you find out exactly what the real meaning of the word nazi is before you use it so freely) but I do kind of avoid having near molten metal above a house carpet and wooden floor boards
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 06:03:40 am by Simon »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2011, 06:06:58 am »
" I know exactly you don’t like him because he does stuff you don’t like, who are you trying to convince "Politically Incorrect" guy...
Maybe it’s envy?

Again you are talking out of your rear end, you seem to have as much hate for me as you claim I have for him (making your argument pretty stupid, as above you can contact me direct if you have a problem). I suggest you stick with the topic, and that is a friendly warning from your friendly moderator, we don't do trolling around here !
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 06:13:19 am by Simon »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2011, 08:18:07 am »
Err I think your pulling an argument out of your ass...
I suggest you stick with the topic, and that is a friendly warning from your friendly moderator..
i think these kind of words will invite troll. so relax. no body hurt.

as with the video. i can see there's argument about power supply from main. i dont think a flat 100A is needed to glow some steel from the main (primary). fellow ee welders should know this well. the key is in the heavy step down transformer. its the secondary winding thats spitting the hi amp, be it 100, 1000 or 10KA, whatever. the primary (mains) current could be just a fraction of it. thats why the guy didnt give any 2nd thought touching d secondary, because its low volt, how low i dont know.

the thing is, he seems to be an expert in hi-powered transformer. and telling the KV capacitor bad experience in his another video indicated he is alot more expert than me and many of us here about hi-voltage/power stuff. its his childish way of presentation that makes me laugh. some people prefer to take it seriously... and formally :P

edit: and that hum. thats the real hum, its enough a warning to tell you to stay away.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:47:06 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2011, 09:35:58 am »
People love to watch that sort of stuff.
If I blew shit up every episode I'd have a squillion views by now  ;D
His presentation style is a bit unusual and rather quirky, but I can't talk  ::)

Dave.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2011, 11:56:13 am »
well it make sense because if you want to get a peice of metal hot you want a lot of current through it, but as it has a low resistance having a lot of voltage is wasted. essentially he used the transformer as an impedance adapter.

Welding machines do work on low voltages. The spot welding machine at work outputs 1V and all of the metal contacts are quite open

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2011, 11:58:10 am »
People love to watch that sort of stuff.
If I blew shit up every episode I'd have a squillion views by now  ;D
His presentation style is a bit unusual and rather quirky, but I can't talk  ::)

Dave.

destroying stuff for the sake or it gets boring after a while

Offline benjius

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2011, 02:54:20 pm »
destroying stuff for the sake or it gets boring after a while

What the F**** is your problem with this guy??? Now, you're basically saying that the guy’s blog is boring !!! I’m sorry, where is your cool blog?!! Please show us your fantastic work !!!

It’s getting really clear that you have issues with this person; you basically flooded the thread with your biased comments about this blogger’s work.
Instead of trying to fake objectivity be transparent and clear about your real motivation for your attitude towards this blogger, I thought you here a “politically incorrect” guy…

And please… don’t pull that fascist crap on me “im the moderator…” quite frankly If you think been a moderator gives you any power over my freedom of speech then you’re a really sad person living 100 years in the past….

I’m going to expose you for harassment and bullying!!!

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2011, 03:13:23 pm »

I’m going to expose you for harassment and bullying!!!

Go on then !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf