Author Topic: Absolute massive trivia: Dave's old chart of EM Radiations  (Read 1600 times)

Offline peteb2Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Absolute massive trivia: Dave's old chart of EM Radiations
« on: April 03, 2019, 10:49:51 pm »
I was filling time watching an old SciFi movie "Gog" from 1954 on YT and look what appears in on the back wall around 39:20... Sure it's compromised by depth of field (out of focus) but you can see it the chart must at one time have been printed on bright white paper and used bright hues for colours  while the brown tones were black.

Must've looked fantastic in it's original era....

The following users thanked this post: Bud

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
Re: Absolute massive trivia: Dave's old chart of EM Radiations
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 02:04:32 am »
Good spotting.

It is available for download here. https://www.flickr.com/photos/llnl/9403051123/sizes/o/

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 04:16:22 am »
It is available for download here. https://www.flickr.com/photos/llnl/9403051123/sizes/o/

Thanks for the link!

Unfortunately, the high res version (107 MByte) is damaged when I download it: A strip in the bottom is missing; it shows up in green or black depending on the viewer I use. Does it look like that for everyone, or is something broken on my end? Is anybody aware of an intact version of the file?

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 05:42:12 am »

Thanks for the link!

Unfortunately, the high res version (107 MByte) is damaged when I download it: A strip in the bottom is missing; it shows up in green or black depending on the viewer I use. Does it look like that for everyone, or is something broken on my end? Is anybody aware of an intact version of the file?

Here you go.  I wish I knew how to get a high-quality poster made of this.  Should probably do some Googling, I'll bet there are companies that can do it online.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 05:52:52 am »
Here you go.  I wish I knew how to get a high-quality poster made of this.  Should probably do some Googling, I'll bet there are companies that can do it online.

Thank you!  :-+

There are indeed plenty of online vendors who will print large-format photos and posters for you. Laminated, glossy, cloth textured -- you name it. They typically use large-format inkjet printers, and achieve very nice results.  I won't share any links, since companies in Germany won't do you much good, but I am sure Google will find many in the US.

Offline peteb2Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 04:23:42 am »
What would be really neat is for someone with the skills to use "Photoshop" to do a proper restoration such that it was as brightly coloured as it once was with high contrast black tones against a pure-white paper.... There is the argument of course that it's current 'sepia look' gives it a an olde time feel but the kinds things in drawings plus the style locks it into the mid 1940s/1950s...

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 04:39:33 am »
1944, according to the copyright notice (text box in the uper right corner).

I am not sure whether I would like an "as new" look. It shouldn't be too difficult to restore that via photo editing software: Adjust the white balance and then crank up the colors somewhat. I may give that a try tonight.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 04:39:55 am »
Turns out that someone is selling an original copy on ebay.  Don't think I'm interested ( :o, seriously!?) but the colors are pretty amazing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253732146575

I've got a jpg version where the colors were somewhat restored, but they're nowhere near as bright as the ebay or movie copy.

edit:  Here's the somewhat restored version:

http://adamjonrichardson.com/2016/04/07/dusted-off-version-of-1944-chart-of-electromagnetic-radiations/

Ed
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 04:42:15 am by edpalmer42 »

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 04:49:33 am »
I only just realized that this chart was edited by Arthur Compton, Nobel prize winner and the discoverer of Compton scattering! In 1944, hmm -- seems that his job in the Manhattan project left him with some spare time? ;-)

Anyway, I need to get me a poster printed! Nice to know the original dimensions from the ebay auction (58" * 41"); although I may not want mine quite as large.

Edit: Found this description of the poster's history, which dates the original edition to 1936. It also states (not unexpectedly) that Arthur Compton mainly gave his name, while the publisher and an assistant of Compton's did the actual editing:
http://physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com/2013/09/making-chart-of-electromagnetic.html

Thanks, Ed, for the link to the color-restored version. I quite like that one!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 05:17:41 am by ebastler »

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 03:45:42 pm »
it made me think of that episode of I dream of jeannie (old) with the astronaut that works for NASA or its previous equivalent. His jeannie wife? helps him miniaturize a vacuum tube (IIRC it looked like some kinda RF tube) for use in the space program.

I think its one of my favorite older TV shows (usually involves NASA shenanigans). The chart looks like it would have been a good prop for the show.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf