General > General Technical Chat

absurd marketing bullshittery

(1/23) > >>

free_electron:
I was munching on a bag of chips. Ingredients : Potato , safflower oil , salt.
In big bold lettering on the front of the package : Gluten free
Of course it's gluten free. it doesn't contain any wheat or other grains that contain glutenin.

:palm:

They might as well put things like "Does not contain elephants" or "Comes without steering wheel"

what's next ?
A bag of salad that says "Vegan friendly" ?
A bag of rice that says "No cows inside" ?

post your marketing bullshittery gripes below. i'm curious to see what other bullshittery is out there.

eti:

--- Quote from: free_electron on May 23, 2022, 05:08:49 am ---I was munching on a bag of chips. Ingredients : Potato , safflower oil , salt.
In big bold lettering on the front of the package : Gluten free
Of course it's gluten free. it doesn't contain any wheat or other grains that contain glutenin.

:palm:

They might as well put things like "Does not contain elephants" or "Comes without steering wheel"

what's next ?
A bag of salad that says "Vegan friendly" ?
A bag of rice that says "No cows inside" ?

post your marketing bullshittery gripes below. i'm curious to see what other bullshittery is out there.

--- End quote ---

A few of my food marketeer's captain obv faves, are:

Peanuts: "May contain nuts" and variants thereof for other obvious contents of food packets.

Also, "Wackaging", where every company VASTLY over-compensates for mediocre product, by making their foods "talk" to us, as if we're "friends" with a strawberry milkshake! LOL ---> https://www.ediblegeography.com/the-rise-of-wackaging/

Hey companies, here's an idea - focus on the BASICS and cut the crap - tell us what's inside, and don't "make it talk". Maybe add just a little more than the utilitarian, spartan nature of military rations, but not far off that, just a simple photo, no stupid fancy background wallpapers, WE KNOW WHAT FOOD LOOKS LIKE! Here's an example from my youth - a good example, bare essentials (because customers didn't used to be dimwit schmucks, QUITE as much [cause and effect?]):

Back in the old days, when people actually USED their brains, they weren't treated like morons to talk down to... well, not AS much.

wraper:
FWIW if we talk about chips then garbage made from potato flakes may contain plenty of gluten. Layman may not know the difference between real chips and junk like Pringles which often contain more of other components than potato. Not to say even in real chips whatever additive was used may contain grain products. With processed foods made these days it's not as straightforward as it may seem. On other hand things like "cholesterol free" vegetable oils are really lame.

Zero999:

--- Quote from: wraper on May 23, 2022, 07:30:33 am ---FWIW if we talk about chips then garbage made from potato flakes may contain plenty of gluten. Layman may not know the difference between real chips and junk like Pringles which often contain more of other components than potato. Not to say even in real chips whatever additive was used may contain grain products. With processed foods made these days it's not as straightforward as it may seem. On other hand things like "cholesterol free" vegetable oils are really lame.

--- End quote ---
Having clear food labeling laws helps.

In the UK, chips are what some other English speaking countries call fries, although they're much thicker, thus have a lower fat content.

Crisps are a snack food, consisting of thinly sliced potato, fried in oil, salted and flavoured, nothing else. No one here refers to Pingles, Skips, Doritos etc. as crisps. They are completely different.

Also it you want nice ice cream, go for dairy ice cream, which has to contain real milk and a certain amount of cream, otherwise you get sugar, reconstituted skimmed milk, palm or coconut oil, thickeners and colourings.

wraper:

--- Quote from: Zero999 on May 23, 2022, 08:13:45 am ---Having clear food labeling laws helps.

--- End quote ---
However if you are gluten intolerant, you'd prefer a clear statement that it's gluten free, rather that reading a long list of contents and miss something that may be grain derived. It's completely different from "Vegan" and sorts of which are not related to health risks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version