Author Topic: access to test equipment / lab in Bonn Germany  (Read 1220 times)

Offline KrudyZTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
access to test equipment / lab in Bonn Germany
« on: June 25, 2018, 09:06:37 pm »
I will be moving from California to Bonn for one year starting August 1st.
Since this is time limited, I would like to bring as little as possible from my rather extensive collection of test equipment and lab supplies.
Does anyone know of professional level maker or lab spaces in the area?
Alternatively, how is the equipment rental market in Germany?
I currently have access to pretty much everything. If I really had to I could possibly pare it down to something like a 500 MHz MSO scope with active probes, soldering equipment with a stereo microscopes and the usual power supplies, meters, etc...
Also, if anyone has experience bringing test equipment into Germany from the US I would be very much interested to hear about it. (customs, tax, red tape)?

Offline r0d3z1

• Regular Contributor
Re: access to test equipment / lab in Bonn Germany
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 11:47:09 am »
Microlease is a famous rental service here in Europe https://www.microlease.com/de/home

Offline Urs42

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 12:48:25 pm »
I would try a ERFA or Chaostreff of the Chaos Computer Club most of those places do have really good equipment. I guess that you are not allowed to use the lab for profit.

Can't find anything in Bonn, the next two options are:
https://koeln.ccc.de/
https://aachen.ccc.de/

Both sites are in german, but they should speak english.

Offline KrudyZTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 04:30:41 pm »
Thank you for the links. Leasing for the year might make sense as I would prefer to work from home.
Since I already own all of the equipment I need, I would be really interested in hearing about import restrictions, so I can weigh the cost differences.
What can I expect from customs if I show up with a large Pelican case or two full of (used) test equipment at the airport in Frankfurt?
Does anyone have experience with the proper way of doing this?
Thanks!
p.s. I'm not interested in smuggling this in, so I don't want any opinions on the likelihood of getting caught.

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 10:52:01 am »
I would be really interested in hearing about import restrictions
If you are not try to export some Nuclear Power Rots you are ok. I never had any Problem with Import or Export stuff.
What can I expect from customs if I show up with a large Pelican case or two full of (used) test equipment at the airport in Frankfurt?
If you fly for example NY - Düsseldorf - Frankfurt you enter in Düsseldorf the EU/ "Schengen" Boarder and your Luggage run through the Scanner. When you arrive in Frankfurt you come from an EU Flight where quite no Custom Officer are looking for anything.
I was travel a lot in the last Years and get never checked by Customs! I often never see anyone expect in the very small and tiny Airports in Austria like Linz, Salzburg, Innsbruck.  :-DD
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 08:01:48 pm »
The safe, official way is to obtain a "Carnet ATA" -- a document which lists the instruments you import temporarily, and allows you to prove that you are re-exporting them eventually. This safely avoids problems both when imprting into Germany, and when you bring your stuff back home later. It is a bit of a hassle to fill out, and costs a fee. (A few $10 in my recollection, but it's been a long time that I used one of these.)

On the other hand, if you travel with what looks like a toolcase, and if the instruments inside are obviously used, you will probably not be bothered by customs anyway. I don't think travelling field service techs will usually carry a carnet for their toolcases. But whether you want to take that gamble is you call.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf