Author Topic: Ah, here we go again with the “eco” phone nonsense.  (Read 11514 times)

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Ah, here we go again with the “eco” phone nonsense.
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2021, 10:47:47 pm »
somebody will probably find it sooner or later

In some stuff it has been very much later, presumably because everyone thought someone else was looking at it.

There is also the problem that malicious actors can spot flaws and exploit them more easily (and know that since they have the latest source, no-one has fixed them yet).

https://www.technologyreview.com/2010/06/07/262916/open-source-could-mean-an-open-door-for-hackers/
The data supports the assertion that flaws in open-source software tend to be attacked more quickly and more often than vulnerabilities in closed-source software, says Sam Ransbotham, assistant professor at Boston College’s Carroll School of Management and the author of the paper.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2021, 10:54:33 pm »
Nothing is ever perfect, but I'd rather have access to the code than not. Maybe I'll never actually look through it and maybe I won't find anything useful if I do, but I still like the fact that I can.

Offline etiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2021, 11:22:40 pm »
Nothing is ever perfect, but I'd rather have access to the code than not. Maybe I'll never actually look through it and maybe I won't find anything useful if I do, but I still like the fact that I can.

That’s the whole hype angle of “Open source” - they KNOW you could but won’t, and because you base your trust on that naivety, who knows what stuff gets through? (and don’t tell me it doesn’t and that “ someone would pick up on it”)

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2021, 12:34:46 pm »
I could also jump through hoops. My point still stands: A de-Googled Android phone is not a practical device, no more than any of the existing Open Source options out there. None of them managed to take off. Everything you brought to the table just adds another layer of hurt.
Would it be better to just move the Play Store app (which you blindly trust?) into a restricted environment so that it only runs when you want to use it and has very limited access to personal data?
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.oasisfeng.island.fdroid/
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2021, 12:45:23 am »
I could also jump through hoops. My point still stands: A de-Googled Android phone is not a practical device, no more than any of the existing Open Source options out there. None of them managed to take off. Everything you brought to the table just adds another layer of hurt.
Would it be better to just move the Play Store app (which you blindly trust?) into a restricted environment so that it only runs when you want to use it and has very limited access to personal data?
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.oasisfeng.island.fdroid/

Security/privacy is always a trade-off with user experience. Whether you're using the Apple store or the Google Play store, you forego certain things for the easy-to-use experience. I've used Android devices in the past where none of the Google services were installed and it's an absolute pain in the ass. Sideloading applications isn't hard in itself, it's just getting access to reputable copies of the APK makes it risky. I'd rather just get them from Google Play as I know they are the real deal and the risk of malicious software is extremely remote. I really don't care if Google know which applications I've installed, it means nothing. What I do care about is what private or personal information Google keeps on me and part of that is simply not supplying that information in the first place.

Offline etiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2021, 03:14:38 am »
The play store hosts SO MUCH junk, I can't believe anyone would out their trust in what Google deems as "acceptable"

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: October 24, 2021, 04:39:30 am »
The play store hosts SO MUCH junk, I can't believe anyone would out their trust in what Google deems as "acceptable"

So does the Apple store. In any case, why should Google, Apple or any other company be able to dictate what people can or can't install on their phones? If people want to download garbage apps, let them. As long as they aren't malicious, there shouldn't be any restrictions on the types of applications available for end-users. Both operating systems already do an excellent job of protecting users from themselves.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2021, 11:11:27 pm »
The Microsoft store has more garbage than the Google and Apple stores all combined.

I don't like being told what I can install, but it certainly reflects badly on the platform if the store is cluttered with a bunch of scammy trash. The whole benefit of the walled garden arrangement from the user standpoint is having a collection of vetted apps that meet a certain bar in terms of quality. If they're going to let second tier crap in there it should at least be in a separate area for advanced users.

Since I like to be able to install whatever I want, I use a PC where I have full administrator privileges. For my phone I care less, as long as it supports the handful of mainstream apps I regularly use, I don't really care if I can install other stuff.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf