Author Topic: Aliexpress and eBay prices to go up?  (Read 3823 times)

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
Re: Aliexpress and eBay prices to go up?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 07:53:38 pm »
Got notification today that all USPS international GEPS contracts will be terminated September 31st.
This is all related to the Universal Postal Union agreement that allows Chinese sellers to ship products to the U.S. for less than it costs us to ship to the same state.
The administration has given the UPU an ultimatum, that they: either allow the USPS to set rates for China mail that arrives in the U.S., or the U.S. will officially leave the UPU on October 17th.
Either way, this means as of October 17, no more cheap Chinese shipping. They will have to pay the same domestic rates as us once their e-packets arrive here.

Good riddance. Ever since AliExpress became a thing, prices of domestic mail have been going up with no end in sight.
Shame that nobody in Europe has the balls to do the same but maybe America will stir up enough shit to get things going.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 08:26:48 pm »
The only people who will benefit are the people who buy cheap crap in bulk and resell it locally. Same crap, higher price.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 08:59:32 pm »
I can't find anything on official websites. This may be a hoax or premature at the very least.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:02:01 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 09:08:45 pm »
September 31st should be your first clue. (try to find it on a calendar if you don't get it)

The withdrawal from the UPU is a real thing and standard Trump negotiating tactics (do it my way or we'll leave). I personally think Trump will change his mind and cancel it while declaring victory in some manner. Messing with costs for ALL (not just china) international mail in both directions from ALL countries is not going to be a net positive for his election prospects.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 10:14:42 pm by Nusa »

The following users thanked this post: Yansi

Offline ledtesterTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 10:12:10 pm »
I can't find anything on official websites. This may be a hoax or premature at the very least.

From my google research, in October of 2018 official notice was given to the UPU of the intention to withdraw in a year's time. So this really isn't new news - it's just that the actual withdrawal date is coming up soon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/trump-ditches-144-year-old-postal-pact-that-boosts-chinese-retailers/2018/10/17/88aefea6-d234-11e8-8c22-fa2ef74bd6d6_story.html

or just search for "US withdraws from UPU". And here is a slide deck on usps.com which details the US perspective:

https://postalpro.usps.com/mnt/glusterfs/2019-06/Universal%20Postal%20Union%20Exit%20Update_MTAC%20June%2019.pdf

The third slide has a "Key Dates" box.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 10:14:30 pm by ledtester »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Mr. Scram

Offline nvidia

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 10:42:10 pm »
Please No :(

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 10:46:49 pm »
Got notification today that all USPS international GEPS contracts will be terminated September 31st.
This is all related to the Universal Postal Union agreement that allows Chinese sellers to ship products to the U.S. for less than it costs us to ship to the same state.
The administration has given the UPU an ultimatum, that they: either allow the USPS to set rates for China mail that arrives in the U.S., or the U.S. will officially leave the UPU on October 17th.
Either way, this means as of October 17, no more cheap Chinese shipping. They will have to pay the same domestic rates as us once their e-packets arrive here.

Good riddance. Ever since AliExpress became a thing, prices of domestic mail have been going up with no end in sight.
Shame that nobody in Europe has the balls to do the same but maybe America will stir up enough shit to get things going.

If you think that will slow the rise of domestic postage I've got a bridge to sell you. Anything is an excuse to raise shipping prices, you never see anything cause them to drop.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 07:37:36 am »
Subsidizing free delivery of millions of packages from AliBay certainly doesn't help.
Snail post here has competitors both on the "paper mail" and "ecommerce" markets. They cannot simply charge whatever they want to earn billions.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 08:18:19 am »
Aliexpress will just do what Banggood do which is build a warehouse in the US and charge to keep stock in it or bring containers over and run their own customs clearance / import for their sellers. Or you'll just get the same stuff at a ramped up price, still fractionally below US manufactured stuff, drop shipped or imported by cartels.

Don't get excited. Nothing will change  :-//

Here our postal service appears to be subsidised with unaddressed junk mail. Far more annoying.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 08:50:30 am »
That at least is competition, but you can't pull fake invoice shit to avoid import tax that way.

Trump is right here, the clear UPU injustice has lasted more than long enough that the only reasonable action for the US/EU is to threaten to leave. It is the only way things can change. He might be right on accident, but still right.

The UPU vote is end of September by the way, trying for maximum delay to lobby their way out of it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 08:56:06 am by Marco »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 09:09:03 am »
Aliexpress will just do what Banggood do which is build a warehouse in the US and charge to keep stock in it or bring containers over and run their own customs clearance / import for their sellers.
Aliexpress is already building a warehouse in Europe.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 09:51:56 am »
Just a point on the cheap shipping thing. Most of this is actually because China quotes postage on weight and USPS (and most of Europe) is a tiered system on volume/weight.

A fine example of a piece of shit here. Both packages 80g:

Package 1 ... 35.3 x 25 x 2.5 .... £0.86 second class

Package 2 .... 35.3 x 25 x 2.6 ... £2.90 second class, only 3.4x the price for an extra mm.

China Post ... same amount  :-//

You have no idea the arguments I have got into in our local post offices above the extra millimeter here and there and because their own staff don't understand the tiering system or purposely want to charge you more.

I argue that postal services are trying to protect their monopolised rip off price tier system rather than the customers and Trump is using this as a good soundbite for some China hate.

National postal services used to be a bastion of communications purely by scale and monopoly but that isn't true now. They're declining because other private companies such as couriers and even Amazon etc aren't getting screwed for that tiering. It's economically viable to actually take them on at their own game now and for that they will adapt or die. This is the wiggling stage before the death gasps.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 09:54:08 am by bd139 »

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 09:53:15 am »
Availability of that junk probably isn't changing as long as there are suckers for it and nobody with the power to stop it on a whim, like it could be done in a less democratic country such as China if deemed necessary by Powers That Be.

What hopefully is changing is that sending a domestic parcel or ordering something delivered by snail mail will no longer pay for all the freeloaders importing from AliBay.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 10:01:06 am »
Most national postal systems are losing money and they don't have a monopoly to begin with.

With a true free market postal system there would be no UPU.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 10:09:32 am »
Watch what happens when UPS or DHL sign up for UPU because USPS refuses to be a carrier ...  :-DD

Edit: actually this is going to be fun. Watch what happens when we end up with a thousand reciprocal agreements between countries. "I want to send a package to Elbonia - how much is it". Postmaster hauls out a 12 inch thick book of rates, looks one up, "that's $24". Whaaaa! Then it gets nicked on its way through Wakanda because that was the cheapest path for the sender  :-DD.

This planet needs to be less territorial.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 10:13:46 am by bd139 »

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 10:59:46 am »
Watch what happens when UPS or DHL sign up for UPU because USPS refuses to be a carrier ...
The sky will turn pink and cows will learn to fly :P

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 11:16:34 am »
They negotiate fees based on cost rather than social justice (or in the case of China UPU fees perversion of social justice).

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 10:42:57 pm »
That at least is competition, but you can't pull fake invoice shit to avoid import tax that way.

I get pcb's made in China.
On one assignment I was contacted by customs and asked for proof of payment for the goods.
They do check up now and then.

Online TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2019, 11:58:15 pm »
Aliexpress will just do what Banggood do which is build a warehouse in the US and charge to keep stock in it or bring containers over and run their own customs clearance / import for their sellers. Or you'll just get the same stuff at a ramped up price, still fractionally below US manufactured stuff, drop shipped or imported by cartels.

Here our postal service appears to be subsidised with unaddressed junk mail. Far more annoying.
They cannot do it without paying 25% tariffs.  Today they don't pay tariff on shipments less than around $400, but if they ship in advance to the US to a warehouse, then they will have to pay the tariffs

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2019, 12:51:38 am »

They cannot do it without paying 25% tariffs.  Today they don't pay tariff on shipments less than around $400, but if they ship in advance to the US to a warehouse, then they will have to pay the tariffs
Still bulk shipping is cheaper and there is some margin as well to play with. Buying Chinese goods (like test equipment) from a local supplier is usually cheaper or the same price. Unless the local supplier tries to rip you off.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2019, 08:48:46 pm »
Just a point on the cheap shipping thing. Most of this is actually because China quotes postage on weight and USPS (and most of Europe) is a tiered system on volume/weight.

A fine example of a piece of shit here. Both packages 80g:
Package 1 ... 35.3 x 25 x 2.5 .... £0.86 second class
Package 2 .... 35.3 x 25 x 2.6 ... £2.90 second class, only 3.4x the price for an extra mm.

You are lucky, we have a 2cm max thickness to get within the $2 postage rate. Then if its thicker than that its considered a parcel and the lowest rate you will get is $15.
How anyone can make money selling mail order items here I have no idea.

Meanwhile, a decent sized package only costs $4 to ship from china via ePacket, and arrives relatively quickly.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2019, 10:29:26 pm »
I'm guilty of buying cheap stuff from China but it's just because the shipping is free so it ends up being way cheaper.  Either way I have nothing against getting rid of this deal.  I always found it stupid that it's free for them to ship here yet you pay big bucks to ship/buy locally.   I hope this new change applies to Canada too.  This whole deal with china was never fair to local business.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2019, 09:38:13 am »
I have for a long time opted to pay approx $3 for "Aliexpress Shipping" of my stuff , as it usually arrives in 2 weeks (EU).
If going for free shipping it takes 40..60 days , prob. shipped by Camel back via Mongolia.

I think DK is cancelling the "Cheap China postage" by the end of 2020 , as it was meant for developing countries.

/Bingo

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2019, 04:02:29 pm »
I have for a long time opted to pay approx $3 for "Aliexpress Shipping" of my stuff , as it usually arrives in 2 weeks (EU).
If going for free shipping it takes 40..60 days , prob. shipped by Camel back via Mongolia.

I think DK is cancelling the "Cheap China postage" by the end of 2020 , as it was meant for developing countries.
Just like the US, Denmark has nothing to say about postage tariffs. These are based on (very old) international treaties.

Ending the cheap postage from China was going to happen anyway. Even without all the fuzz about cheap postage from China the Universal Postal Union can't really justify to keep China in the lowest tariffs anyway. I recall reading an article about this a long time ago. Trump only makes a stance so he can claim a victory over China. But it is all window dressing.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 04:14:20 pm by nctnico »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf