Author Topic: Warning: Aliexpress will require all customers to scan their personal ID cards!  (Read 86869 times)

Offline YansiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Now this organisation has really pissed me off.

After trying a payment, this showed up. WTF is that bullshit? A phishing and ID theft at once? 

it came from this address
Code: [Select]
https://icashier.alipay.com/error.htm?errorId=c4320ff9e48d82890e20566cb022354b&orderId=01050060130095fa4d8aa1640e6b1935
Alipay is the usual payment address, should have been secure.

What do you guys think?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:31:20 pm by Yansi »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: Aliexpress trying phishing or ID theft?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 06:25:33 pm »
I think for some reason their software decided that you are committing suspicious activity. Personally never seen that crap. Did you use credit/debit cards with different names on them or shipping to various addresses/names?

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 06:30:35 pm »
I use the same card, same name, same address the entire years I use the service. Never modified or changed anything.

And at the same time, I am not willing to save my cardnumber or anything anywhere on their web. Same goes for uploading any photos of passports, drivers license. This is not only suspicios from their side, but also a violation of law.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 06:49:16 pm »
Then, didn't you order this time from some other computer or while being abroad? Had similar crap with Paypal, though they didn't ask any id but temporarily suspended my account.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 06:53:12 pm »
This is not only suspicios from their side, but also a violation of law.

What law? I've had plenty of businesses require similar ID, including reputable mobile companies* wanting similar scans/photos of documents. I'm pretty certain this is them actually trying to conform with anti ID theft and card theft laws, even if I may not personally agree with the method.

*Well as reputable as they get :-\
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 06:53:42 pm »
I use only my two PCs at home. Never used anywhere else, as that would not be safe.

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 07:03:26 pm »
This is not only suspicios from their side, but also a violation of law.

What law? I've had plenty of businesses require similar ID, including reputable mobile companies* wanting similar scans/photos of documents. I'm pretty certain this is them actually trying to conform with anti ID theft and card theft laws, even if I may not personally agree with the method.

*Well as reputable as they get :-\

Our laws strictly forbid to make any copies or photos of personal ID cards. With the only exception, when the rightful owner of the document is willing to share the information on the card.

I am not willing to share my ID number with them, neither am I willing to make a photo of it - at all.

So what do you think, should I share it with them? I do not consider it much safe.

I will also try to contact their customer service, if they have anything to say.

//EDIT: It starts to seem, this is anothe big screwup by aliexpress. I have now tried locating the Help Center on Alipay, and when I select "How can I pay on AliExpress?" in the "New user guide" there is nothing there.
Also the Customer Service on Aliexpress and payment related topics end with 404 Fail.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:10:44 pm by Yansi »

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 07:11:44 pm »
Our laws strictly forbid to make any copies or photos of personal ID cards. With the only exception, when the rightful owner of the document is willing to share the information on the card.

I am not willing to share my ID number with them, neither am I willing to make a photo of it - at all.

They haven't copied them, they've asked if you are willing to share the information. They're just not (at this point) willing to do business with you if you aren't willing.

So what do you think, should I share it with them? I do not consider it much safe.

Personally no, I wouldn't even show my bank my passport or drivers license. That has made some stuff hard work but in the end it was my choice to give up the convenience for the sake of a little more security. I doubt they're actually up to anything underhand but I think on these issues we think alike lol.

I will also try to contact their customer service, if they have anything to say.

That's what I'd do. Has worked for me before.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 07:26:40 pm »
You know whats funny?

If you open up the online customer service, there is an announcment on the top saying:

To ensure the safety of your personal information, please kindly remind do not submit your personal ID or card information in the form of screenshot. Thank you!

So do not make a screen shot, scan it both sides, as says the new user guide help: https://intl.alipay.com/help/exampleKYC.htm

What a joke!

FUCK YOU ALIPAY!

//EDIT: Still not connected to the customer support center.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:52:05 pm by Yansi »

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 08:30:28 pm »
So here is a resolution of the situation:

The Alipay support centre officer "Maryl" has told me:

"I would like you to know that beginning last month, AliExpress is requesting all its customers to activate and verify their Alipay accounts to ensure safety and confidence while using and buying in AliExpress site."

And also that this is a gradual process, because of the amount of users. So if you haven't been asked to scan your personal ID card, you sure will.

I am quitting to use Aliexpress. Buy. Those guys has gone too far.

Have a nice day and use my rant as a big warning.

I have also renamed the thread so that it will now has the exact meaning of what the situation is.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
I too will be reluctant to scan my passport or driver's license into their system.

Credit card is one thing, passport or driver's license is another.  Rather disturbing, I must say.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Seems like a lot of places are like that these days. I know every time I go to PayPal they remind me my verification or some crap, is incomplete. "You're at 40%, almost there!!!" they say. They want me to apply for a credit card, they want me to link a bank account, gimmee gimmee gimmee. Sorry, not in my neighborhood.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Seems like it's voluntary.  :-\

From this page and popup:
http://us.ae.aliexpress.com/buyer/buyerIndexNew.htm

We'd Love to Learn a Bit More about You!
For a better shopping better experience, please fill in and provide the following personal data. AliExpress will retain and use such personal data for the following purposes: [Better Recommendations, Customized Shopping Experience, Optimized Business Analysis]("Service and Function"). If you refuse to provide such personal data, you may not be able to use and be provided with the "Service and Function". AliExpress will protect your personal data in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Lack of "Service and Function" (whatever that is ?) and all this other shite never enhanced my shopping experience.

Edit
Just hit "Don't show this message again" and carry on.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:31:40 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
PayPal... meh... have linked my card to it years ago and gladly there weren't a single issue (which cannot be said of some ebay sellers).

But Alipay requiring you to SCAN A PERSONAL ID card... holy cow...

Why wouldn't be enought to make the verification same way as Paypal does (at leas did, years ago): Gave you a bank account numbers, and said "pay a few bucks, we will then enable your account and return you those few bucks".  Was simple, piece of cake.

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051

For a better shopping better experience, please fill in and provide the following personal data. AliExpress will retain and use such personal data for the following purposes: [Better Recommendations, Customized Shopping Experience, Optimized Business Analysis]("Service and Function"). If you refuse to provide such personal data, you may not be able to use and be provided with the "Service and Function". AliExpress will protect your personal data in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Lack of "Service and Function" (whatever that is ?) and all this other shite never enhanced my shopping experience.

Of course, it is voluntary. But if you don't like to share your whole privacy with them, then you cannot use their service. The web page (screenshot in first post of this thread) will always appear when trying to make any payment, demanding your ID.

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Oh my goodness!

They even LIE on their website!

see this: https://icshall.alipay.com/hall/cateQuestion.htm?type=KNOWLEDGE_BASE&helpId=83&language=en_US

I am sorry to inform you that currently Alipay Accounts cannot be cancelled yet.

However, if you don’t want to use Alipay Account, you may leave it alone first.
It will not affect other functions such as payment and refund in AliExpress.

...maybe the catch is the word "first". Because "next" is probably "we will then block any of your trials to make a payment".

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor

Of course, it is voluntary. But if you don't like to share your whole privacy with them, then you cannot use their service. The web page (screenshot in first post of this thread) will always appear when trying to make any payment, demanding your ID.
https://intl.alipay.com/help/agreements/detail.htm?agreement=AlipayServiceAgreement
Updated as of March, 2015

So that's old but this is new:
https://intl.alipay.com/user/activateEmail.htm

Maybe it's just to update/confirm your account details?  :-\

I need nothing ATM so I'll wait for others to confirm this.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
It would appear that they don't trust me.
But then, I don't trust them with images of my ID, either.
So we are even. 
They won't do business with me, and I will return the favor.
Adios, Ali!

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
tautech: Yes, it is to confirm your account details. But to do this, you absolutely have to give them the required ID and photos. There's no way around it (as far as I know). The support officer "Maryl" has also insured me that I have to do such verification.

I have tried the verification process (too see what it's like). You check ur name, fill in your birth date, select nationality and then there is the personal ID card  editbox.

And then it continues with address, telephone numbers and other stuff i don't remember, as I was really concerned only about the personal ID.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:50:03 pm by Yansi »

Offline 6581

• Supporter
Absolutely, just say no. I'm never going to scan/photo and send any of my IDs just to buy some crap from net. It's not even going to be solution for stolen credit cards. It's just creating more problems and teaching people that it's ok to send photos of IDs is a disaster.

I order stuff and pay for it. You send me the stuff to a specified address. End of transaction. No need for ID.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
tautech: Yes, it is to confirm your account details. But to do this, you absolutely have to give them the required ID and photos. There's no way around it (as far as I know). The support officer "Maryl" has also insured me that I have to do such verification.

I have tried the verification process (too see what it's like). You check ur name, fill in your birth date, select nationality and then there is the personal ID card  editbox.

And then it continues with address, telephone numbers and other stuff i don't remember, as I was really concerned only about the personal ID.
Most stuff can be bypassed with garbage, just tried.  :-DD

For the Personal ID, select other, enter garbage for type and garbage for Identity doc no

We'll see what happens next.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Ok, so please tell us, what happens next. As I have understood, they do a manual check after. (after filling the info, you have a "verification status" that will disappear after they do a manual check).

I haven't quit my account yet, as I am still missing  8 or more items.  If there will be no solution how to bypass the IDs after I receive my order, I will probably quit my account. As there really is no point for me, to use a service, where they try to steal your identity (with whatever "it is good for mankind" bullshit) and then you don't receive anythin until 2 months and even after 2 months from order it is uncertain if it will ever arrive. (And that is, to a central Europe).

Tautech: Btw: You have to also upload a photo after filling this data. What will you upload then?

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
I am sure the requirement will quietly vanished, as will their customers if they in force it.  In any event you can just buy the same tat on eBay.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
At last page they have an "Identity Verification" were you are asked for a pic of your Identity document plus this:

Please note:
• [IMPORTANT] If your ID does not contain an address, please upload an additional document that shows your address, such as a utility bill or bank statement that is not more than 3 months old. This address needs to be the same as the one in your profile.
• Make sure that the name and ID number in your profile are exactly the same as on your ID.
• Make sure that you upload a color copy of your ID. Expired IDs are not accepted.
• If you have an ID that also contains information in English, please upload a photo of this one. This will help us verify your identity faster.
Please do not upload any selfies, landscape photos or student cards.

Fun time, shall we fill their sever with all sorts of crap?  :-DD

Edit
From top of verification page:
Identity-verified account enjoys a higher payment limit.
Do they mean higher than zero?  :-DD
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:25:58 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
Doesn't Mastercard disallow this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf