Author Topic: Warning: Aliexpress will require all customers to scan their personal ID cards!  (Read 86860 times)

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
You guys must be crazy if willing to give your ID with photo and associated information to Chinese.

Especially if this is in exchange to a privilege to buy $1 shit.
I quite agree, but if one plays their cards right with questions asked to sellers, often they'll offer their email address and you then can choose trade privately. Many have Paypal accounts.

But through Aliexpress your money was safer and you also had robust avenue to address problems with the goods, a far better system than eBay IMHO. This I'm sure has been the secret of Aliexpress success.

Most of the Ali stuff is available on ebay, the Ali stuff is cheaper and in my opinion a safer purchase (often the same sellers). I haven't been asked to provide any extra info so I'm not sure if this is a basic policy change. Perhaps the part of a transaction that tripped a security alarm, for a single user. If you google it you can see similar one offs at least going back to 2012.

I have had two transactions cancelled by Ali without my asking. Both apparently a scam, I really like the proactive approach they have. Beats the crap out of ebay which leaves it up to the purchaser.

If they did ask for more info I'd go back to using the single purchase method through MC or Visa. I did that initially and although slower also had no issues.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
Re: Aliexpress trying phishing or ID theft?
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2016, 07:51:59 am »
I never seen what you show here, but recently I ordered 20 different articles in one day (cheap components)
I always had to enter usermail + password, but now also every time a captcha.

I think for some reason their software decided that you are committing suspicious activity.

Don't know if "the software" detected something, or if it was an planned/unplanned daily update.

How did Paypal handle this again? Visa charge+payback 1 euro, with a code as reference, if I remember right.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
I guess it is has to do something with the new 1984 laws in china. They actually want to pin your "reputation" to you. They are not getting a copy of my ID for sure.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
The stupid thing is, if you have previously placed an order and it's been delivered, and the card transaction was not subsequently reversed, that's all they need to show that details are genuine.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
I'm sure they could care less about that.  Rules are rules!

I'm in WA state, and I can't even order from ALI - as they haven't paid their tax (some state import tax id), so they have blocked me and everyone else in Seattle and the PNW completely.

http://komonews.com/news/local/washington-residents-shut-out-from-mega-e-tailer-alibaba

No worry for me.  I find ebay resellers are so worried about feedback, that they sell better items.  For example, on Ali, I bought a set of female banana jacks.  They came with nuts to secure them that were less them 1.5mm thick.  Total junk.  On ebay, They come as 2.5-3mm thick. Very nice.  Cost difference is less then an american dollar.  It's not worth my time to deal with that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:21:16 pm by george graves »

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
I'm in WA state, and I can't even order from ALI - as they...., so they have blocked me and everyone else in Seattle and the PNW completely. ...It's not worth my time to deal with that.
The other way around, Asian goverments coming up with excuses/regulations/exceptions to block USA company services, is very communist/protective/totalitarian.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
I'm sure they could care less about that.  Rules are rules!

I'm in WA state, and I can't even order from ALI - as they haven't paid their tax (some state import tax id), so they have blocked me and everyone else in Seattle and the PNW completely.

http://komonews.com/news/local/washington-residents-shut-out-from-mega-e-tailer-alibaba

No worry for me.  I find ebay resellers are so worried about feedback, that they sell better items.  For example, on Ali, I bought a set of female banana jacks.  They came with nuts to secure them that were less them 1.5mm thick.  Total junk.  On ebay, They come as 2.5-3mm thick. Very nice.  Cost difference is less then an american dollar.  It's not worth my time to deal with that.
For ordering  parts (especially with poor availability), ebay is pretty much useless compared to Aliexpress. About crap banana jacks, you can find crap parts on both places, actually most of what is sold is a crap. And I'm pretty sure your "?ood banana jacks" were available on aliexpress too, unless they were bought from the US seller.
BTW US starts to really piss off a lot of people worldwide by imposing their rules to apply internationally what is a complete BS.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Just look in the OPM breach for the neighbour's info and submit that..... They already have it so easy to confirm, and the posties tend to put wrongly numbered mail into the right boxes as a matter of course, they see the names are different and the neighbour is right so drop it there.

Of course it also relies on the postie being literate, which here is not actually seemingly a requirement or something they test for.

Offline chicken

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rusty Coder

Just enter another state, I use OR, the ZIP code is all that matters for correct delivery. Worked for me so far (10+ orders).

The special state license for escrow money transfer sounds like a racket to protect some local rent seekers. There are plenty of schemes like that in WA. (don't get me started on why there's a need for a private middle-man to get car tabs)

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
No warning yet. I just ordered something 15 minutes ago and used my credit card.  I only started ordering from aliexpress about 3 months ago and so far no problems for the 10 or so items.

I do NOT store my credit card info on their site even though I'm enticed to with discounts, etc.  As a general rule, I do not store my credit number on sites given the choice.

If any site started asking for personal ID cards like passports, etc, I wouldn't be doing business with them.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor

Just enter another state, I use OR, the ZIP code is all that matters for correct delivery. Worked for me so far (10+ orders).

The special state license for escrow money transfer sounds like a racket to protect some local rent seekers. There are plenty of schemes like that in WA. (don't get me started on why there's a need for a private middle-man to get car tabs)

That changed a few months ago. WA residents can now use AliExpress. I've  already ordered from them a few times without any problems.

Car tabs middle man?  Must be a local issue. I've never needed that. Here in Clallam county the local DMV mails me my tabs.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:22:01 pm by mtdoc »

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor

That changed a few months ago. WA residents can now use AliExpress. I've  already ordered from them a few times without any problems.

Car tabs middle man?  Must be a local issue. I've never needed that. Here in Clallam county the local DMV mails me my tabs.

If I understand right, do you mean WA was expecting AliExpress to collect state tax for them?  That law could not have held.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
If I understand right, do you mean WA was expecting AliExpress to collect state tax for them?  That law could not have held.
I strongly suspect that there are thousands of examples of where it is happening even as you are reading this sentence.
Governments have been trying to find ways of taxing the internet since AlGore invented it.
And they appear to be crafty enough to find ways of doing it in any way they can find to get away with it.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor

Whatever it was, it's over. I've purchased a few things now and have paid no sales tax.

FWIW, WA has no state income tax!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 02:04:47 am by mtdoc »

Offline chicken

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rusty Coder
It was about the escrow mechanism. You need to be licensed by the state of WA to offer it to residents.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?Cite=18.44
.. or work with a local agent that already is licensed, who I'm sure had a hand in creating this law.

But according to mtdoc luckily no longer an issue for AliExpress customers.

Offline YansiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Little update:  Mastercard doesn't care about customers (One couldn't expect anything else from these $$$ companies) - I mean no response from them.

Recently, I saw in a TV some mentioning, that China's  Yuan  value goes down, blabla bla, economics goes down, blablah. The world is afraid, blah blah baa. So it seems, chinese doin' right with thair ID card scam, to support their economics by attracting more potential customers.   :)

... and I have found a pretty funny bug (or two) today:

The Aliexpress is now so fucked up in terms of SW, that it even tells me, that "one item in your cart now costs less" even when the cart is empty. But that's not funny. What seems more interesting is this:

After those fucktards started to boycott my credit card payments, it seems their system is even preventing funding of previous orders, confirmed after the blockage  :-DD I recently got a package of two orders, and confirmed reception fo the goods. As you may know, Aliexpress funds the seller only after buyer confirms the delivery. So I have normaly confirmed, but the process seems stuck. Status is "fund processing" , but that's now there a few days. Never took so long. So, probably a very funny bug in their new "ID card system".  Their problem.

Offline YansiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Huh!  I've just logged into my Aliexpress account... just beeing curious, what I will find there.   ... Found nothing special.

...tried to order some opamps (AD620) and payment was successful  :o :o :o  The ID card bullshit has GONE  :o :scared: (At least for now...)

Maybe their wooden heads finally realized, their ID card scam would piss many many of their customers.

Offline japasetelagoas

• Regular Contributor
  • Just an ordinary electronics hobbyist.
As a Brazilian, I'm forced to type my CPF (a nationwide ID number) in case I want to pay via ATM bar code. I think that in my case it has more to do with the company that does all the "money transaction", called EBANX.
The endless river...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf