Author Topic: New member ... with an ancient scope :)  (Read 3538 times)

Offline TImusanTopic starter

New member ... with an ancient scope :)
« on: November 07, 2016, 10:39:21 am »
Hi all!

My apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forum, just wanted to say hi to the community, long time lurker but finally decided to subscribe and put out a message. I'm a Belgian freelance programmer currently living in Okinawa (Japan). Studied electronics engineering and general electrics a long time ago and left it for dead as I headed into the computer realm ... but recently decided to pick up the old hobby (although I most certainly consider myself a beginner again :) ) Thus slowly getting equipped with some decent lab material. This means much scouting on Yahoo Auction (Ebay is nearly non-existent here) ... some material I think you should really get new (soldering iron, ...) but I could not resist the temptation to see if I could find a 50$ scope (just for kicks).

And sure enough ... I could score an ancient Yokogawa DL3120B for just under that price  :-D Besides a very very faint screen burn the thing is fully operational. I also did not know (care) anything about its specs, I just remembered Yokogawa being quite a good brand and who can resist an orange monochrome screen? As far as I could find (Yokogawa does not like to give out manuals on discontinued products so it appears) this is a 10 Mhz scope with a 25MS/s / 12bit sampling rate. From what I can find in the menus on the scope itself it is quite elaborate on the amount of analyzer tools in there ... it even has a tiny printer installed on the top and two "memory card" slots :) But 10Mhz is of course not that much of a bandwidth.

Anyway ... I'm rambling ... my question is actually if anyone has any experience with this scope and its performance? Was this a decent scope in its day? Are there known "hacks" out there to increase its bandwidth or other?

If I decide to actually use it I think it is a good idea to recap this beast as well since this is ~20 years of ago currently.

Attached some visuals of the huge bastard  >:D

Cheers,
Tim

The following users thanked this post: JWag

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New member ... with an ancient scope :)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 02:08:30 pm »
Since you are in "Japan" you would do better with an Iwatsu or Kenwood analog crt scope..easily 20-100mhz. Be patient. ;) Oh.. Ohaiyo gosaimas or konichiwa. ;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 02:10:35 pm by singapol »

Offline TImusanTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 11:35:15 pm »
@singapol
Since you are in "Japan" you would do better with an Iwatsu or Kenwood analog crt scope

Hmm, interesting ... Iwatsu is indeed quite common around here but if I am correct it is mainly their older equipment which is worth salvaging if you can get your hands on it.

@blueskull
I don't like analog scope too much

Haha, I have to agree with you there  ;D Well, I like them in that they have a great nostalgic feel and these days can be very cheap to pick up even with a "high" bandwidth. I recently had my hands on an old HP 300 Mhz analog scope in a thrift store here for 8000 Yen (~$80) and it was fully operational as well but somehow did not have the heart to buy it. The Owon SDS7102 you mention looks like a neat little scope for that money. But I guess I have to see if I outgrow the Yokogawa DL3120B first  8)

Offline JWag

• Contributor
  • Former ICT ATE Engineer
    • My blog.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 06:12:21 pm »
...but I could not resist the temptation to see if I could find a 50$ scope (just for kicks).

And sure enough ... I could score an ancient Yokogawa DL3120B for just under that price 

Same here! I just got two of these for $40 from a local eBay seller. I'm replacing my ancient B&K analog scope. I've already torn one down for spares and they're really well-made tanks. It's nice to have proper measurement tools at last.

Both screens have some pretty awful burn-in, but I thought I might be able to dig out the video signal(s) and get them on a small LCD. The video signals are a little bonkers. ~56.5Hz vertical and 47.85kHz (~20.8uS sync interval) horizontal, which looks like a combination of two different 800x600 VGA "standards".

Hope you're enjoying yours. :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 08:21:48 pm by JWag »

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 04:16:37 am »
Here’s my BWD vintage scope with it’s kinda matching audio sig gen :)

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 04:45:21 am »
But for the color (and the fact that yours are clean!), it's interesting how closely the BWD knobs resemble those on old HP gear.  Did they have any affiliation?

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 05:13:56 am »
Aside from the colour they do look close. They are cleaner than they appear in the pic :) The scope was in use until it’s owner left us.
BWD are (were) Australian. Apart from that, I don’t know anything about the company. I wasn’t around at the time :D

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 07:23:57 am »
Hi all, I know this is not directly related but I noticed that most equipment still have the GPIB connections in back.  Does anyone ever use these anymore?  When I use to do electronic board testing, of course we had Labview setup and we used the GPIB ports, but that was over 20 years ago. Since I use my scope for troubleshoot and design, I have no need for that type of automation.

Oh well, it sure was nice for automating tests back then.

PEACE===>T
PEACE===>T

Offline jimdeane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 07:30:30 am »
Hi all, I know this is not directly related but I noticed that most equipment still have the GPIB connections in back.  Does anyone ever use these anymore?  When I use to do electronic board testing, of course we had Labview setup and we used the GPIB ports, but that was over 20 years ago. Since I use my scope for troubleshoot and design, I have no need for that type of automation.

Oh well, it sure was nice for automating tests back then.

PEACE===>T

A physics lab I sometimes work at has a bunch of 90's era HP DSOs and network analyzers, and they use GPIB whenever they need to do something more complicated or long-term.  They just don't have many computers with a GPIB card, so you have to plan ahead or be willing to wait your turn.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 04:26:47 am »
 You can still buy GPIB cards for modern PCs - but be prepared for sticker shock.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf