Author Topic: Am I in trouble  (Read 10962 times)

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
Re: Am I in trouble
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 12:07:01 am »
^^ You would affect the future stock prices by your purchase, creating a paradox that would unravel the fabric of the universe

Offline Watth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 01:31:07 pm »
Quite apart from the question of insider trading, there's the question of patient confidentiality.

In the US, your doctor friend broke some very strict laws by telling what he did, and he would get into big trouble if it ever come to light. I'm not sure what the laws are elsewhere, but I wouldn't be surprised if other countries had similar rules.

Also, the fact that this was a patient confidentiality violation might have bearing on whether this would be insider trading... I'm not a lawyer, but I think this situation sounds sketchy all around.
^ This.

Acting on illegally disclosed information. And you know it's illegal since it comes from a frigging doctor.
Because "Matth" was already taken.

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 01:44:49 pm »
What kind of a shit doctor discusses his patients' states of health with his friends over beer? ???
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2016, 02:08:36 pm »
What kind of a shit doctor discusses his patients' states of health with his friends over beer? ???
Vast majority of them. Patient stories are common, this just happens to be a stock influencing one.

Offline Watth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2016, 03:32:18 pm »
Vast majority of them. Patient stories are common, this just happens to be a stock influencing one.
Discussing patients' health between doctors is a thing, but talking about someone's health -and identifying this someone- with a non-medical person is quite unethical.

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2016, 02:53:01 am »
It violates the Doctor-Patient confidentiality. The patient can pursue legal matters against the doctor if he so chooses, and the doctor would be in danger of losing his license, at least that's the way it works in the US.  Unless said person the doctor is discussing it with has an absolute interest in the health and welfare of the patient. i.e doctor talks to a surgeon about the patient and options about what to do for the patient, etc.

I know with my grandmother, the doctor couldn't discuss anything with me unless i had guardianship or power of attorney over my grandmother, or unless she specifically was sound of mind and had said it was okay to discuss her medical information with me.

There is one more thing, If a doctor believes the patient will do or has done personal injury to himself or to others, they can speak to authorities (non-doctors) about the medical information, i.e. person intends to or attempted to kill himself/herself or someone else.

Other than that, they are NOT allowed to discuss a patient's medical history or status. But, like others have said, doctors break that rule ALL the time.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2016, 09:54:00 am »
Sometimes, rather than relying on others to do the right thing, you have to act yourself.

I've managed to report both yourself and the doctor involved, via number of online resources.
I just hope they manage to trace who you both are, via IP addresses and other information. They can then throw the full weight of the law against you both.

I've also reported your thread to the moderators. With a case, explaining why I think you should be immediately banned.

One of the online reports I sent, gave a report back, which has some additional, worrying information about the OP.

Here is a copy:
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder741/52063741.jpg

N.B. I'm not joking about this. If I had been, I'd have said 'Only joking', in brackets, somewhere in this post. (Only joking).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 10:08:38 am by MK14 »

Offline TheDane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2016, 10:20:38 am »
Are you in trouble? - I don't know...
But I do know that stocks are gambling, and if you're ready to burn your life (wife, investments, money, relations, etc.) - be ready to get burned yourself.

So, you're in your shoes alone - and if it is worth getting a new pair (who preferably has a better fit), don't step on other peoples toes - and it's most likely you don't get threaded back on to.
(Not the best advice, but then again - I don't know if you're in trouble. Most of the time it's the long hard road that pays, not the easy short cuts as most low life scammers are likely to go that way)

Oh, btw - are you sure the doctor doesn't have stock already, and is ready to make buck on your back?

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2016, 10:57:23 am »
I don't think it matters. Martha Stewart did not work for the company she purchased stock in.

Generally speaking, it is insider trading if it is based on information that isn't publically available and it is material.

So if you buy a product and really like it, and have a generally favorable perception of the company - so you buy stock. Non-public information - but not material.

Also, if the sales guy confides in you that "He is Having a Great Quarter" (and you believe him). Non-public - but usually not material either.

But not if the VP of Sales confides in the same. The VP Sales knows how the quarter will end. Based on that you can buy or short a stock. That is both material and non-public. A gotcha is what if the sales person from the previous example is the only sales person the company's got? Is that insider? Yes - because it is both material and non-public.

A CEO is dying and no-one knows? I'd think it is both non-public (obviously) and market reaction will make it material. Stock market computers will parse all transactions on the week leading up to the news and look at all the weird acquisitions and shorts (i.e. large, non standard, not as part of plans and/or funds...)...

Whether you make the inquiry threshold depends on the amount of money it is and how much out of normal it is for you (i.e. if you regularly buy and sell your house, your car, your wife and the same stock you may be safe). If this is the only stock you ever buy/short...

Offline tatus1969

• Super Contributor
  • Resistance is futile - We Are The Watt.
    • keenlab
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2016, 11:09:05 am »
My friend is a doctor. He met me today for a beer and we started talking about our work. In between conversations about his wife and the girl sitting next table he mentions to me about a high profile patient he had to attend today. Turns out his patient was a top CEO of a top company. He had a stroke and is on life support and will not last long. So, now I go on, sell my house, sell my car, sell my wife and buy as many shares of that company I can afford. Is this illegal? Will I get sued if someone finds out?
The most scary thing for me is the information sharing itself. I heard once that there is something called medical secrecy?
We Are The Watt - Resistance Is Futile!

Offline Watth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2016, 11:41:46 am »
But I do know that stocks are gambling, and if you're ready to burn your life (wife, investments, money, relations, etc.) - be ready to get burned yourself.

So, you're in your shoes alone - and if it is worth getting a new pair (who preferably has a better fit), don't step on other peoples toes - and it's most likely you don't get threaded back on to.
(Not the best advice, but then again - I don't know if you're in trouble. Most of the time it's the long hard road that pays, not the easy short cuts as most low life scammers are likely to go that way)

Oh, btw - are you sure the doctor doesn't have stock already, and is ready to make buck on your back?

So are you only joking about the statement that you are only joking?
I'm confused.  :-//

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2016, 11:45:11 am »

If you are referring to my post. It was ALL, a complete joke!  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
Sorry for any confusion.

Offline TheDane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2016, 02:36:13 pm »
 :)
It seems I bring others in trouble, not knowing so

No, I'm not joking - but my native language is Danish, so I might not be able communicate 'correctly'.  :-/O
- but, people lie - and others don't always understand what is said and/or implied. That's a fact, I believe - and courts sometimes try to clear up.
If you're not into gaming, don't play games

Quote from: Watth on Yesterday at 10:41:46 PM

Quote from: TheDane on Yesterday at 09:20:38 PM

If you are referring to my post. It was ALL, a complete joke!  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
Sorry for any confusion.

Offline Watth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2016, 05:21:27 pm »

Sorry for any confusion.

I was so confused I quoted the wrong post. See what you've done?

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2016, 04:41:43 am »
 Much easier to get someone from the future to get you a sports almanac than try to manipulate the stock market. Playing the market will to some extend self-correct. Placing sports bets may alter the payoff odds but it won't change the winning team, or horse, or whatever.
 Make the right play and it all can turn in to a totally awesome flying train time machine (DeLoreans are ok, but the train is WAY more awesome - and has more room).

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2016, 09:03:40 am »
Placing sports bets may alter the payoff odds but it won't change the winning team, or horse, or whatever.

Are you sure? I suspect the butterfly effect disagrees... (Of course, the idea of "getting stock prices from the future" falls into a similar quandry)

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2016, 06:55:23 pm »
 Can anyone be sure? Heck if it's really a multiverse, who's to say those results in that almanac are for our particular thread?

Offline JacobPilsen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2016, 08:23:35 pm »
As Muad'Dib says: It is not only future stock prices, but absolute lack of surprise...

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2016, 06:46:27 pm »
As Muad'Dib says: It is not only future stock prices, but absolute lack of surprise...

Thou shall not make a machine in the image of a human mind.

Offline JacobPilsen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2016, 08:58:07 pm »
No problem.

IMHO People are insufficient to do such machine.
BTW: Topic: Musk on artificial intelligence.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 09:04:25 pm by JacobPilsen »

Offline Tinkerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2016, 09:17:42 pm »
A random person suddenly buying up some stock isnt going to tip anyone off that you may have known something, especially since you arnt likely buying up millions of $$ worth. Posting about it here however, would if they bother even to look.

Offline tatus1969

• Super Contributor
  • Resistance is futile - We Are The Watt.
    • keenlab
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2016, 11:09:38 am »
No problem.

IMHO People are insufficient to do such machine.
BTW: Topic: Musk on artificial intelligence.
that machine is already in the process of booting up (when i look around i'm not so sure if it hadn't already got too many stuck processes). let's hope that the vogons will be late this time...
We Are The Watt - Resistance Is Futile!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf