Author Topic: Analog Devices buys Linear Technology  (Read 35031 times)

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
Re: Analog Devices buys Linear Technology
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2016, 03:28:42 pm »
Could Dave make some video about websites ? I would love to hear some rant about useless webs from Dave, rather than pointless videos about free energy and solar roadways (waste of time making it and watching it).

This could be a very interesting and dynamic topic. There are all sorts of competing interests, and many ideas about what constitutes best practices as they apply for the various interested parties.

For instance, I tend to use Digi-Key for searching for parts, instead of the manufacturer web sites. If I need to search for parts not on Digi-Key then I look at the specific sites, but some clearly are easier to use. For me the worst are those that require a big recomputation when one small change to the parameters is done, and everything is run through some kind of local Java applet.

It seems that a lot of Chinese and Taiwanese web sites have a sketchy feeling to them, while German web sites are difficult to search and navigate. (Phoenix, Turck).

Eventually my part lists get run through a web site to check on lifetime and supplier status. This drives a somewhat iterative process of narrowing in on functionality vs. availability.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2016, 04:52:44 pm »
If you make super thin margin, you won't bother make a pretty website. After all, cheap manufacturers usually have very specific, stable, targeted customers that only cares about quality and cost. Easy to use and engineer friendly are not important in mass volume productions as long as quality and cost benefits can be justified.

Easy to use and engineer friendly are also not important when marketing gets ahold of the web site and turns it into a pretty sales brochure without content.  If you need technical documentation, then they are not interested in selling to you.

I think TI plays the dark interface game.  They have too many older parts which never show up in their selection guides but which can be found if you search for the part number.  That strikes me as a way for sales to drive unknowing customers to more expensive parts.  That may be shrewd, but it also means they cannot be trusted which is hardly new with TI.

The following users thanked this post: Tomorokoshi

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2016, 10:45:29 pm »
Wow! You're absolutely right.  The concept of customer feedback is clearly inapplicable.  I can see that a more rational method would be to assume that the web designers will magically intuit how someone may or may not want to use the site.  I totally agree that the reasonable, effective approach of pissing, moaning and complaining about it rather than taking initiative by providing constructive criticism that may result in improvement is ingenious.  It's an exemplary plan.  Let us hope that the nebulous, non-sentient entity known as "management" does not thwart this enviable construct.
Cheers
Good grief, you are from the hipster generation!

One point i could imagine but im to tired to right now is "reinvention of web interfaces is to lure new clueless customers they improved while old timers know how things was in the past=better.  Nor is there such thing as a "free wheeling web designers" that can do whatever interface they want at the fot of a elephant, they are all under the marketing department dictates at the top of the elephant.

ST for example, everyone who deal with ST knows their forum engine is utter crap, and everyone have constructively complained and suggested tons of ideas "for years". Now do ST web designers listen? No! why? Because the marketing department "say so". Yet ST used to have a well working forum engine "for years". Now, why did they screw up? Who's fault was it? And most fun of all is the ST people who maintain the crap is also pissed we have been told and want it go away. So i will give you 10 dullars if you go to ST and can make them change, if you cant you owe me 100dullars!

The web presence is just too valuable these days to intentionally piss folks off.
And yet they do over and over and over and you cant figure it out, how peculiar!

Bad web interfaces, bad data sheets, poor product, yadda, yadda, yadda etc, etc, we all are affected by it on a daily basis from ........insert mfg.....you suggest that 500million engineers should join in gigantic group hug and go bombard ...insert mfg......with constructive complaints?
You must be crazzzzy, i rather spend my time to actually design and engineer, i dont have time to point out "obviousness" to a elephant!

Im also all in for Dave go ape over mfg web interfaces from a engineering perspective.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 11:14:11 pm by MT »

Offline ECEdesign

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2016, 01:57:32 am »
While we are on the topic of website bashing... I really hate how when I click on view datasheet it takes me to another webpage where I have to click some more text for it to actually show me the datasheet PDF....  ADI and LTC are both better in that respect.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2017, 02:00:25 pm »
Hi group,

The day has arrived:

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2017, 07:42:44 pm »
How long before one of the names is taken down?

Offline julian1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2017, 08:13:38 pm »
Why does ADI need regulatory approval from a Chinese regulator?

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2017, 09:38:32 pm »
Hi,

You have to get regulatory approval for all the major markets that you sell into. This is anti-trust, monopolies type stuff.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
  • Just an IT monkey with a DSO
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2017, 11:06:35 pm »
For those of you downloading all of the LT notes if you compiled them onto a file on dropbox that would be sweet!

If you have linux you can run this to download all the Application Notes in the website. It's only 165Mb.

wget -qk http://www.linear.com/designtools/app_notes.php -O linear.html && cat linear.html | grep -o '<a .*href=.*>' | sed -e 's/<a/\n<a/g' | sed -e 's/<a .*href=['"'"'"]//' -e 's/["'"'"'].*$//' -e '/^$/ d' | grep 'docs' > dwnlst.txt && wget -i dwnlst.txt

The following users thanked this post: bingo600, TiN, bitwelder, EmmanuelFaure, PointyOintment, BU508A

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2017, 11:16:00 pm »
I don't like seeing these buy outs but seems to happen in every industry these days.   Capitalism at work.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2017, 11:18:20 pm »
Code: [Select]
wget -qk [url=http://www.linear.com/designtools/app_notes.php]http://www.linear.com/designtools/app_notes.php[/url] -O linear.html && cat linear.html | grep -o '<a .*href=.*>' | sed -e 's/<a/\n<a/g' | sed -e 's/<a .*href=['"'"'"]//' -e 's/["'"'"'].*$//' -e '/^$/ d' | grep 'docs' > dwnlst.txt && wget -i dwnlst.txtToo bad it omits the ".pdf" and the actual filename.

The following users thanked this post: hendorog, HoracioDos

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2017, 11:23:54 pm »
For those of you downloading all of the LT notes if you compiled them onto a file on dropbox that would be sweet!

If you have linux you can run this to download all the Application Notes in the website. It's only 165Mb.

wget -qk http://www.linear.com/designtools/app_notes.php -O linear.html && cat linear.html | grep -o '<a .*href=.*>' | sed -e 's/<a/\n<a/g' | sed -e 's/<a .*href=['"'"'"]//' -e 's/["'"'"'].*$//' -e '/^$/ d' | grep 'docs' > dwnlst.txt && wget -i dwnlst.txt

Brilliant! I have a Linux NAS box and the App Notes are downloading perfectly. Thanks!

The following users thanked this post: HoracioDos

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2017, 02:09:25 am »
Too bad it omits the ".pdf" and the actual filename.

Oops!! I'm sorry. Perhaps I posted too soon. This command will rename all files in a folder.

Attention: Make sure that there are no other files that you don't want to rename in the folder where you've downloaded the files and get inside the folder with: cd "folder name" without quotes.

This is a massive rename command. Please check everything first.

rename 's/$/.pdf/' *

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2017, 07:26:25 am »
The day has arrived:
What a shame!  :(
LT made very good products.
My English can be pretty bad, so suggestions are welcome. ;)
Space Weather.
Lightning & Thunderstorms in Real Time.

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2017, 12:30:45 am »
wget -qk [url=http://www.linear.com/designtools/app_notes.php]http://www.linear.com/designtools/app_notes.php[/url] -O linear.html && cat linear.html | grep -o '<a .*href=.*>' | sed -e 's/<a/\n<a/g' | sed -e 's/<a .*href=['"'"'"]//' -e 's/["'"'"'].*$//' -e '/^$/ d' | grep 'docs' > dwnlst.txt && wget -i dwnlst.txtToo bad it omits the ".pdf" and the actual filename.

I'm sorry for the delay. I've found a better URL to parse. This command creates a download script called linear.sh. You need to execute it only one time. Then you only need to execute linear.sh as many times you want to download the app notes.

It downloads the application notes with their real file name and also takes their tittle for the final file name.

wget isn't very friendly for bulk downloading and rename the output at the same time.

wget -k http://www.linear.com/designtools/doc_list.php?dt=2 -O /tmp/linear.txt && cat /tmp/linear.txt | grep  -o 'href=.*docs.*</a>' | sed -e 's/href="/wget /' -e 's/"//' -e 's/>/ -O "/' -e 's/<[^>]\+>//g' -e 's/$/.pdf"/' > linear.sh && bash linear.sh
I hope you like it

The following users thanked this post: eliocor, bitwelder, Jeroen3, hendorog, PointyOintment

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2017, 01:18:00 am »
I just bit the bullet and renamed all the files:

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2017, 11:23:10 am »

You didn't know for sure if I would post something better.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2017, 11:54:08 am »

You didn't know for sure if I would post something better.
It would have been smarter to wait another day. A pretty clever command line.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2017, 07:04:19 pm »
I'm sorry for the delay. I've found a better URL to parse. This command creates a download script called linear.sh. You need to execute it only one time. Then you only need to execute linear.sh as many times you want to download the app notes.

It downloads the application notes with their real file name and also takes their tittle for the final file name.
wget -k http://www.linear.com/designtools/doc_list.php?dt=2 -O /tmp/linear.txt && cat /tmp/linear.txt | grep  -o 'href=.*docs.*</a>' | sed -e 's/href="/wget /' -e 's/"//' -e 's/>/ -O "/' -e 's/<[^>]\+>//g' -e 's/$/.pdf"/' > linear.sh && bash linear.sh
Kudo's for you.
Cygwin (windows) can run it too.

Offline ECEdesign

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2017, 02:42:02 am »
I was very glad to see that ADI is not going to abandon LTSPICE, they are adding ADI parts to it which is nice.  One of the best free SPICE programs out there (if not the best).

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2017, 09:00:34 am »

wget isn't very friendly for bulk downloading and rename the output at the same time.

I hope you like it

Very useful; thanks! I had to edit it slightly, though. It left the </a> that you see at the end of every line in the raw grep output in the script, resulting in malformed output filenames being passed to wget. Changing -e 's/<[^>]\+>//g' to -e 's/<\/a>//g' fixed it. Whole command:

wget -k http://www.linear.com/designtools/doc_list.php?dt=2 -O /tmp/linear.txt && cat /tmp/linear.txt | grep  -o 'href=.*docs.*</a>' | sed -e 's/href="/wget /' -e 's/"//' -e 's/>/ -O "/' -e 's/<\/a>//g' -e 's/$/.pdf"/' > linear.sh && bash linear.sh

What does -e 's/<[^>]\+>//g' even do? I barely know sed.

Anyway, I did this just now, and the Linear appnotes are still online, for everybody who hasn't gotten around to downloading them yet.
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2017, 12:40:28 pm »

Very useful; thanks! I had to edit it slightly, though. It left the </a> that you see at the end of every line in the raw grep output in the script, resulting in malformed output filenames being passed to wget. Changing -e 's/<[^>]\+>//g' to -e 's/<\/a>//g' fixed it. Whole command:

wget -k http://www.linear.com/designtools/doc_list.php?dt=2 -O /tmp/linear.txt && cat /tmp/linear.txt | grep  -o 'href=.*docs.*</a>' | sed -e 's/href="/wget /' -e 's/"//' -e 's/>/ -O "/' -e 's/<\/a>//g' -e 's/$/.pdf"/' > linear.sh && bash linear.sh
I'm glad that worked for you, but I can't see the malformed output filenames. Anyway, there are many ways to do this kind of things.

What does -e 's/<[^>]\+>//g' even do? I barely know sed.
This removes all tags from /tmp/linear.txt. You can see it if you run this. It's place may be not the best because I started to filter text from the grep output. It's a residue from a previous attempt but it removes all the tags that previous commands didn't change.
cat /tmp/linear.txt | sed -e  's/<[^>]\+>//g' > linear.sh

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2017, 07:12:41 am »
That's what I guessed it was supposed to do, but in my case it didn't get those </a>s, which I think were the only tags left at that point. Strange.

It's really annoying to try to inline-code-format "</a>" on here, BTW…
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2018, 04:02:05 pm »
FINALLY.

One of the positive consequences of the deal :)

https://www.mouser.it/linear-technology

The following users thanked this post: Koen

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2018, 03:14:03 pm »
Get ready to lose the linear.com website. ADI will be absorbing it into the mothership this year. :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf