Author Topic: Analogue IC Design  (Read 1856 times)

Offline AryanTopic starter

Analogue IC Design
« on: January 06, 2024, 01:13:25 am »
Hi, I am going into 4th year of my EE degree and have to decide on a thesis topic to do. From the introductory microelectronics course, I am interested in pursuing analogue IC design but am uncertain of job prospects in Australia. Any insight/ thoughts on this?

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
Re: Analogue IC Design
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 02:58:26 am »
Here in US analog IC Design is a unique skill, requiring extensive education and experience. Usually PhD and Post Doc efforts followed by many years gathering experience from "seasoned" colleagues is the typical path for most younger up and coming folks.

Best advice is stay in school as long as possible and push towards PhD, because once you leave and get a job you'll likely never complete the advanced degrees, and on the job experience will initially likely be mundane and not directly related to your keen interests. You'll need to wait years for the job(s) to come around to your true interests where you can lead the charge!!

This is the exact message I gave my Grad students when I was an Adjunct Prof long ago creating and teaching Advanced RFIC design courses. Few followed thru, most didn't, but can't recall a single student that returned to the classroom and completed the advanced degrees after leaving!!

Study the works of Widlar, Erdi, Nelson, Gilbert, Fullagar, and Brokaw, these are the True Masters of the Art of Analog IC Design in Silicon.

Another path is to master Analog Discrete Design with emphasis on Active Device Behavior and detailed Semiconductor Theory, after one becomes a true Analog Discrete Design master (many years active experience), then migrate into the IC design world (hopefully with the guidance of a seasoned IC designer) and prepare for entering a new world learning experience of IC design.

Best,
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 02:53:24 pm by mawyatt »
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 10:05:33 pm »
Best advice I've seen.

PS: you left out Pease.

Offline Andy Chee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 05:21:07 am »
but am uncertain of job prospects in Australia. Any insight/ thoughts on this?
Unless you have other strong reasons (e.g. family ties, private local business, etc), do not restrict yourself to the Australian job market. 

As an engineer you will have an occupation in which you can "work from home", so your employer need not be based in Australia.

Offline Andree Henkel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 11:20:04 am »
I wouldn´t be affraid of job opportunities.

If your interest is in analogue IC design, go for it for now.

With this background, you should have no trouble switching to board level analog and mixed mode design later, so there should be plenty of jobs also in australia.

However purely remote work in both analog IC Design and Board level is most probably not an option, finally you need to verifiy real hardware.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf