Author Topic: Angry at Free Energy YouTubers...  (Read 93324 times)

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
Re: Angry at Free Energy YouTubers...
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2015, 02:04:07 pm »
You can balance faith and science if your careful.    I'm  deep in my faith.  It stops at the lab door, except in using ethics and compassion when dealing with students, staff, and vendors.  I can say a prayer for some one without their knowing it.  Those of my faith have our ways of finding each other, so I know the like minded people at my employer. We're very, very very careful to keep our beliefs out of our classrooms and labs. What we say to each other behind closed doors may be different. Once in a while it gives me a bit better insite into how some small part of the universe, works.

As for the faith side, being part of a like minded group that reinforces each other with  twice a week works wonders for healing and dealing with social stress.  It allows me to treat others much better in a stressful environment.   And we can even laugh at pariodies such as the flying spaghetti monster. We even talk to folks of radically different faiths, as we often have common goals in the community.  And when I say healing, I mean mental healing, we do not disavow modern medicine. It feels good to be part of a group.

I used to try to be "Spock", until the stress of adult life reached a level that I needed to reach out to a higher power. When dealing with people, pure logic is often a failure for the obvious reasons.

Nice thing about church/temple/ etc . Our door is generally  opened to the troubled, even if you don't belive. Feel free to walk in if your having a bad day or lack courage to face the world.

Besides, I've never given an exam to the best of my knowledge without hearing at least one "Please God I did not study and I really need to pass this test".

There is nothing in "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" that give you authority to stop a free willed fraud, that portion of law most likely has its origin in religion based law.

I now return to recycling and wrangling electrons. 

Steve

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 02:06:27 pm by LaserSteve »
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline HugoneusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2015, 02:32:00 pm »
Science is not a belief system, nor an opinion, nor a matter of taste or preference. It is our most committed and successful way of understanding the real world and its wonderful inner workings beyond the limitations of our senses, prejudices and tendencies to self delusion.
So you say that your view of reality is the correct one. That's a first.  ;-)

There is no "my view". Again, science is not a preference, not an opinion. It is a system and a methodology for our species to do the best it can to represent reality. It has taken us this far with remarkable results. It is the best we have. Beyond this, I have no idea what you mean.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2015, 03:20:58 pm »
Science is not a belief system, nor an opinion, nor a matter of taste or preference. It is our most committed and successful way of understanding the real world and its wonderful inner workings beyond the limitations of our senses, prejudices and tendencies to self delusion.
There is no "my view".
its an absolute then? anybody thinking otherwise is wrong?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2015, 03:30:02 pm »
There is no "my view".
its an absolute then?

The most wonderful, lasting and tested property of science is the fact that it is NOT absolute. If there is anything that can be remotely called absolute is our commitment to the truth and reality as our most reliable and proven methods can provide.

anybody thinking otherwise is wrong?

Thinking otherwise to what? Anyone thinking science is absolute is wrong, yes. Anyone accepting anything as fact without sufficient evidence or study has significantly increased their chances of being wrong, yes. Anyone thinking that we can be wrong about anything and everything that we have developed until now is doing a disservice to our progress and is not taking probability into account.

Some issues are no longer a matter of debate. We can now safely ignore someone who claims the earth is flat, this is not a "view" anymore. It is not absolutism to say that the earth is round, because the chances of it not being round are sufficiently small enough to be ignored.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 03:32:55 pm by Hugoneus »

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2015, 03:54:46 pm »
We can now safely ignore someone who claims the earth is flat, this is not a "view" anymore.
I don't know about that :)
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/cms/index.php/about-the-society/history-and-mission

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2015, 03:59:14 pm »
Some are even talking about "hollow earth" and believe it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow_Earth
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2015, 04:06:05 pm »
We can now safely ignore someone who claims the earth is flat, this is not a "view" anymore.
I don't know about that :)
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/cms/index.php/about-the-society/history-and-mission

Remarkable.  :palm: Truly remarkable.  |O

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2015, 04:23:20 pm »
LaserSteve, I am with you fully.  I, too, am a man of faith.  I belong to a church and I belong to a ham radio club.  I believe in God, Ohm's law and magic smoke, having let plenty of it out.  I have no trouble having faith in God and belief in science.  I, too, know who of faith my co workers are.  We do talk and there is a comfort and healing.  As you say, it is good to be part of a group, regardless of the type of group.  To add to your remark about tests, there is the other saying-there are no atheists in foxholes.  For me, it will soon be off to the workbench as I have some company equipment to repair before my mini vacation starts at 5:00.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2015, 04:31:06 pm »
There was a movie a few years ago, called Idiocracy (2006) and it showed our stupefied planet 500 years in to the future.

Idiocracy is not fiction. It is a future history.

Now go away, I'm batin'.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2015, 05:14:45 pm »
Thinking otherwise to what?
thinking otherwise that... science is not the most wonderful thing,, thinking that science has its limitation....
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2015, 05:31:55 pm »
thinking otherwise that... science is not the most wonderful thing,, thinking that science has its limitation....
The scientific method is simply:
1) Question something
2) Make a hypothesis/guess at the answer
3) Come up with a test or series of tests to verify the validity of that hypothesis
4) Analyze the results of the test(s)
5) Re-visit step 2 if necessary

What limitations do you believe this process is subject to?  Of course it can't be used to test something that is untestable, and a poorly-formed test could result in a hypothesis being given more credibility than it's due (which would be debunked at a later time as the field is explored further), but other than that it's pretty reliable.  It's a simple way to systematically derive understanding about the world around us, based on observation and testing.

If you believe this is a flawed system, what do you propose as an alternative?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 05:40:45 pm by suicidaleggroll »

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2015, 05:34:13 pm »
I wonder how many of the free energy believers are also evolution deniers and believe that the UN and the US government have been taken over by aliens from another galaxy.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2015, 05:42:51 pm »
Thinking otherwise to what?

Aside from the obvious issue that having limitations does not mean something can't be wonderful, science is the best we got and it is working better than anything else.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 06:02:14 pm by Hugoneus »

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2015, 06:01:40 pm »

LaserSteve, I am with you fully.  I, too, am a man of faith.  I belong to a church and I belong to a ham radio club.  I believe in God, Ohm's law and magic smoke, having let plenty of it out.  I have no trouble having faith in God and belief in science.  I, too, know who of faith my co workers are.  We do talk and there is a comfort and healing.  As you say, it is good to be part of a group, regardless of the type of group.  To add to your remark about tests, there is the other saying-there are no atheists in foxholes.  For me, it will soon be off to the workbench as I have some company equipment to repair before my mini vacation starts at 5:00.

How do you (and other religious posters) deal with things like evolution? I honestly harbor no ill will towards religious people, but the one thing I've never been able to figure out is how obviously smart, educated people can reconcile the two.

By that, I mean having faith in God means his word is absolute, right? So Genesis must be the end all be all of creation. But science has so much evidence when it comes to evolution that it's pretty much concrete.

So, if you believe in evolution but not Genesis, you're picking and choosing. It's the same the other way around too. Either way it's hypocritical.

So how do you reconcile the two?

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2015, 06:03:03 pm »
Some people call the process of testing our observations, attempting to extract knowledge about the world from them, and healthy skepticism about these ideas "science", and so the other side retorts "but science isn't the only way!". Others call the same thing "common sense", and hear the other side arguing "but common sense isn't the only way!".

Nope, it's not. Willful ignorance is always an option, you're right.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2015, 06:08:00 pm »
To add to your remark about tests, there is the other saying-there are no atheists in foxholes.

One of many commonly heard sayings that is complete and utter bullshit. The implication that most atheists really do believe in a "higher power" and will submit to it in a panic when threatened is offensively hilarious. Nope, I'm about as likely to come crying to the god I used to believe in when in a moment of danger as I am to come crying to Allah or the Tooth Fairy.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 06:09:35 pm by c4757p »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2015, 06:20:46 pm »
To add to your remark about tests, there is the other saying-there are no atheists in foxholes.
One of many commonly heard sayings that is complete and utter bullshit. The implication that most atheists really do believe in a "higher power" and will submit to it in a panic when threatened is offensively hilarious. Nope, I'm about as likely to come crying to the god I used to believe in when in a moment of danger as I am to come crying to Allah or the Tooth Fairy.

If I may add, this is not a good defense for the validity of religion or god in any case. It simply points out that in situations of utter distress and pain our species will hold onto anything to reduce the discomfort regardless of rationality. Religion plays a consoling role in moments of dismay. No one denies that. But then again many ideas can do that regardless of whether they are factual or not.

Furthermore, there are plenty of atheists in foxholes. Not to mention that it is likely foxes are atheists too.   O0
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 06:23:39 pm by Hugoneus »

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2015, 06:22:56 pm »
Some people call the process of testing our observations, attempting to extract knowledge about the world from them, and healthy skepticism about these ideas "science", and so the other side retorts "but science isn't the only way!". Others call the same thing "common sense", and hear the other side arguing "but common sense isn't the only way!".

"There is nothing more uncommon than common sense." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2015, 06:24:19 pm »
Not to mention that it is likely foxes are atheists too.   O0

;D

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2015, 06:26:26 pm »

"There is nothing more uncommon than common sense." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Indeed, but to hear people making the rather entertaining and unusual statement that they think common sense is actually a bad thing, one has to call the rose by another name... >:D

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2015, 07:08:54 pm »
I have nothing against "believers". I am against "belief". It has been proven over and over again that the process of science is the best way to investigate and understand the universe. The process of science has produced medicines, materials, machines, and for mostly for all a better life. Belief has produced babies dying of AIDS, people getting their heads cut off, schools being burned to the ground with the students inside, 6 million Jews slaughtered, people being afraid that they can't think what they want because their leader can read their minds, and machines that can produce energy from nothing, etc etc etc... When has belief produce a transistor, 6061-T6 aluminium, ion propulsion rockets, solar panels, insulin, better food production, cleaner water, etc...?

The problem, IMHO, is that the powers in control of the wealth around the world would prefer that people believe and act on belief. Education is the enemy of the wealth of the few. You need to believe to think that you need that Mercedes Benz and the biggest house on the street. You need to believe when you go to McDonald's to eat their shit made to resemble food. You need to believe to when you are the idiots lining up for days to buy the latest iPhone. Education would expose this behavior as folly and a waste of resources and human life and the money grubbers would lose their solid gold toilet seats.

So "believe" what you want, but don't say that it doesn't harm others. Your beliefs affect your judgement and make your decisions on life and how you affect the lives of others highly suspect at the least, and damaging to the well being of all at the worst. Believing that a magic machine will give you free energy despite what all the evidence has shown to the contrary makes people spend their money on something that might have been better spent on food, better education for their children, or educating the poor believers who won't use condoms because their church says it is worse than AIDS.

As far as "logical proofs"  :bullshit: If it can't be shown, it doesn't exist. I can make a valid logical proof that there is a magic teapot orbiting Saturn and it is leaky, which causes the rings. Logic is a tool to test observations, not make objects appear into reality.

So why is this thread in this part of the forum? Should this not be in General Topics? Or does Technical Stuff now include deities? If so I think the theme of this forum has shifted and deities are now considered something to actually discuss as existing technical objects?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:11:17 pm by Lightages »

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2015, 07:54:11 pm »
Quote:

How do you (and other religious posters) deal with things like evolution? I honestly harbor no ill will towards religious people, but the one thing I've never been able to figure out is how obviously smart, educated people can reconcile the two.

By that, I mean having faith in God means his word is absolute, right? So Genesis must be the end all be all of creation. But science has so much evidence when it comes to evolution that it's pretty much concrete.

So, if you believe in evolution but not Genesis, you're picking and choosing. It's the same the other way around too. Either way it's hypocritical.

So how do you reconcile the two?

End Quote?

Where did the Lord say Solar Days?  He's a pretty good engineer, so where did he say he didn't experiment a bit?  So he sent a Tunguska  event along when he got tired of bird brains in dinosaurs. Ok, I'm being satirical.   :o

Seriously,

With work, parts of this get resolved.  It takes years of study.

I have no issues with parts of Evolution.  Natural Selection works!  Animals and plants morph, adapt, and become extinct. Kind of hard to deny the Peppered Moth's selective breeding in response to the industrial revolution. Or the selective breeding of the Russian Fox studies. Or adaptation in Dogs so they can adopt us humans as social members of the pack. I can't turn a border collie back into a wolf with selective breeding.

There are 22 books not in the common English bible that are used by other Christian Sects that were not translated into English except until recently.   One of them deals with extinction and Noah's flood.   There are 7 others that are pretty much no longer accepted by anyone. The Book of Enoch takes care of a lot of Evolution's mysteries for me.  I just learned of them and have not yet have had time to read them.  I cant store all the data of a ~1100 page book in my head.

If the evolutionary biologist across from my lunch table goes on and on with his latest Evo research, I set there and listen. Heck sometimes I might even help him with his work.   Do I, as a mere technician,  stand up in the faculty lounge and challenge him, No!  I may just hold him to a bit higher standard of proof.  After all, it is just one of the many mainstream, theories of how life evolved..  Its a theory.  If he uses that to change my local laws, and it affects my view of how society should be, I might just stand up at Town Hall and say something!

Nearly every religion has at least one deity, a creation story, laws and customs, and a set of commandments...

I long ago learned my Book, when interpreted literally, causes issues if not carefully studied. I in fact do not like very much the folks who attempt to force a certain view on all others. I try to lead people to faith by living as an example.  I do expect people to obey a moral code and live in a way to benefit others.   I'm not a front line warrior on the mysteries of evolution. After all, I've found a few tiny fossils in my driveway.  The book is a serious set of rules, but it is a guideline, not an absolute.

Others of my faith do not like Theistic Evolution, where Creation happened then Evolution happened, but it sort of works for me.

I have to accept that some things are a mystery, that  I will not understand until the end of my existence.  What fun would it be if I knew all the secrets of the universe? 

two things you have to think about when dealing with this from a faith viewpoint:

In my faith He gave us free will which lead to original Sin.  Without free will we would just be robots,  and this would not be pleasing to Him. While he's not happy with all that has happened since Free Will, he thinks its better for us to have it then the alternative. So I will make mistakes.

In my belief set I am forgiven for those mistakes, and if I sometimes have to use evolution vs my faith, it is unavoidable, often not my fault. On the scale of things that happen in life, having to accept some evolution to get along with others is far less of a sin, then say going out getting drunk, and cursing at my neighbor.  He takes that into account, as I am NOT perfect.   I'm forgiven for all but the worst of Sin. Yet actions have consequences.  It took a lot of years of studying  to understand that.

The second is that:

On the surface, most people think the Book is just a huge pile  of stories and strict rules. The least educated in this use a few chapters to go out and force their beliefs on others. This happens in nearly all faiths, leading to strife.  If your doing it right, you more or less over time get sort of a  "Yoda" viewpoint and skill set, and know how to dodge the slings and arrows.  Its a balancing act. A few years ago I learned that literal interpretation is often very wrong.  I also do not accept infallibility in the translation. Especially after I had a few people read some Torah to me and heard the differences from what I use and the original source. 

I see the planet and life as a well engineered, self correcting, stable system with a very high loop gain.  I'm quoting Jurassic park here:  "A Butterfly can flap its wings in Peking and in Central Park you get Rain".   Whom am I to understand why it all works?

There is just a minor difference in DNA encoding between most mammals .   Hummingbird wing bones are obviously modified hands, not adapted arms like most bird  wings. I see beauty and planning in that. I see a reuse of common structures and materials that shows obvious thought.     So I try to learn how to accept what I cannot understand. It has a name, the "Mystery of Faith".  Its un-resolvable by my puny brain.

You cannot resolve it, so you accept what you cannot resolve and try to just  find beauty in life. Once in a while you have to act based on your beliefs.     

Evolution says it does no good to jump on a grenade to save your fellow soldiers. Yet men will willingly do just that...  Its a mystery.

This will be my last post on this subject, as we're drifting off course.  But if you wonder why this thread  is here, its a introductory lesson in Engineering Ethics.  If you work with technology, you have SOME ethical duty of care to your fellow man. It is expected of you as a technologist to work in societies' best interest.  Many of those ethics can be argued to have Judeo-Christian origins, at least in the Western World. 

Baseline:  "I will not tolerate those who lie, cheat, or steal. Nor associate with those who do"

Steve

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:19:55 pm by LaserSteve »
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2015, 08:05:24 pm »
I have to accept that some things are a mystery, that  I will not understand until the end of my existence.  What fun would it be if I knew all the secrets of the universe? 

What a baffling viewpoint. But common. Why do people like "mystery" so much? ???

I'll continue to seek the secrets of the universe as long as I live. That's part of what makes my life worth living!

Offline Tallie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2015, 08:06:12 pm »
*clicks on thread about free energy*... *reads posts arguing about religion*...  :palm: |O :clap: :wtf:

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2015, 08:08:42 pm »
*clicks on thread about free energy*... *reads posts arguing about religion*...  :palm: |O :clap: :wtf:

To be fair, the initial discussions where all about free energy, etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf