Author Topic: victoreen geiger counters, differences between models?  (Read 1850 times)

Offline XOIIOTopic starter

• Super Contributor
victoreen geiger counters, differences between models?
« on: July 02, 2014, 06:24:19 pm »
Hey all, got my GST in, so I'm going to get a victoreen CDV-700  ;D

Now, I am wondering, one that I could get immediately is the model 6B, what are the differences between this and the 6A?

Based on the test sticker the seller says out of cal, and I probably won't be able to get it calibrated around here, but will still be awesome to have, I've wanted one for the past 5 years or so.

Now I just need sources of radiation (hopefully it doesn't go nuts when I turn it on lol, that would be bad ;D)

Offline Tinkerer

• Frequent Contributor
Re: victoreen geiger counters, differences between models?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 11:40:53 pm »
I was just thinking about buying a gieger counter since they arnt all that expensive. Any ideas on what a best all round one is? I know many are better for specific types of radiation.

Offline XOIIOTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: victoreen geiger counters, differences between models?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 12:04:26 am »
I was just thinking about buying a gieger counter since they arnt all that expensive. Any ideas on what a best all round one is? I know many are better for specific types of radiation.

I barely have any knowledge myself, but the CDV-700 is seemingly the quintessential Geiger counter, however there are smaller ones without the "wand" that are cheaper, and you can even get little egg ones from china for 20 bucks or so though I don't remember what they are called.

Also, turns out we do have a radiation lab with a cal service here, which rocks, though it will be $103.87 plus taxes for it to be calibrated, so that is an extra amount that you will want to keep in mind if you want to get an older one. It will no doubt be different for your area.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf